It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2007, 12:48 AM   #1
(male)

fiftyone HB User
Re: Dizzy, Disoriented, Off Balance, Anxiety

Hello, I have the same problem every single thing. The only way I have been able to explain it is if you were to take out your brain and eyes and throw it into a bowl of water and swish it around. Brain Fog is a perfect description.I also suffer from Anxiety really bad but usually it only kicks in when I start to feel all wishy-washy it changes threwout the day it gets worse at night and in the morning I usually wake up feeling like a Zombi I feel horible. I take Lexipro for anxiety and I can usually only sleep with Xanax Which scares me because I hate to take it, it makes me feel like a zombi, but it takes care of the brain fog. I am also very tired and very lazy most of the time, I dont know whats wrong with me I though it was just depression but I don't feel depressed. When I have anxiety attacks it usually stems from this. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and totally freak out because I feel completely dizzy and detached from myself.. Can this all be caused by a friggin ear problem? Please let me know I have been suffering from this for soooo long.

thank you

Fiftyone

Last edited by moderator2; 05-12-2007 at 05:30 AM. Reason: posted contact info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2007, 02:10 AM   #2
(female)

amlp HB User

Hi fifty1. yes it could be inner ear related, which means the meds you are taking will slow down your healing process. read thru some of the posts and you will see whether it sounds familiar to you. inner ears problems are a bugger to diagnose and doctors are quick to fob you off with saying it is anxiety related.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2007, 06:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User

Hi Fifty,

Sorry to hear you've been going through the wringer lately. Unfortunately everything you mention is pretty spot on for inner ear hassles - or migrainous vertigo. I know the waking in the night and freaking out all too well. Have you seen a neurotologist? It's important to be seen by one of these guys to work out how best to treat it. Be careful with Xanax. It has a short half life and could be causing rebound anxiety. If you need to take the edge off try valium instead. Same class of meds but more gentle and longer half life = no rebound. Use only occasionally though. Anyway, chase down a doc and you'll be able to get on top of it.

Best.....Scott

Old 05-14-2007, 07:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wowwwweeee HB User
Smile Re: Dizzy, Disoriented, Off Balance, Anxiety

Hey Fifty,

I am a long time poster on here (dealing with my head symptoms for thirteen years now).

I wanted to take a moment to post about your anxiety, especially in the night-time. I was in the same situation with my panic and anxiety - and this ugly monster can still get a hold of me at times. There were times when the panic was worse than the head symptoms for me.

I became literally house-bound for a while, and felt comfortable only going out with family to places that I felt my head could tolerate. It was awful.

One of the best things I could do for myself during the worst of times, was to find a way to cope with the anxiety that came with such horrible, scary and limiting symptoms.

For me, this meant a few things: getting a clean bill of health from my doctor, so I stopped worrying about the worst case scenario for my symptoms, getting some counseling to find different ways to cope and react to my head symptoms and the stress they were provoking, journaling to get my scary and frustrated feelings out, and buying a small book called "Hope and Help for your Nerves" by Dr. Claire Weekes.

I learned that my "problems" were two-fold: the head symptoms AND the anxiety that was caused by it.

In the beginning, I didn't know about this forum, so I felt completely alone and freakish with all the "weird" sensations and symptoms I was dealing with.

I also learned along the way that most people who deal with imbalance, etc. issues ALSO deal with anxiety issues on some level. This was a great relief to me, because I knew that my emotional reaction to feeling so off-balanced and foreign to myself all the time was "normal" for my situation.

There are some days that I simply can't do much about how my head feels, and that's where better coping comes in.

Being able to stay calmer during the worst head moments actually helped me tolerate what I needed to eaiser - although we can all agree that tolerating ISN'T easy at all, ha ha.

It's especially scary at night, because it seems like the whole world is sleeping and comfortable and safe, and what should be like that for you, is not. It's scary enough to be dizzy, without waking up in the dead of night, when all is dark and silent. I know. It's hard to do much when you wake up dizzy or unsure of where you are, but sometimes a tiny familiar diversion can make a difference in helping you calm down. So, try sleeping with a little light on or the TV on for a while. A little radio might also help. I also like to have some chewing gum handy because the chewing motion is something that's repetitive and soothing, and a little blast of sugar is calming. I also enjoy saying the Lord's Prayer, which is personally calming to me - you may find a mantra or prayer of your own that you can recite over again until you feel your body starting to relax a little.

Post any time.

Closed Thread