It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2007, 07:24 AM   #1
(female)

cath1024 HB User
Can ENT See Fluid Behind EarDrum?

Does anyone know if a ENT can tell if theres fluid behind the are drum by just looking in your ear with that little handheld light thing they use?

For the past 4 months I have this weird annoying feeling of fluid gushing back and forth in my head when i move my head around or side to side.

I also have this thick nasal PND (at least thats what i think it is) where i have to snort real hard to get it in my throat so i can clear it out of my throat.
When i swallow it feels like there thick phleym in the back of my throat.

From everything i have read it moreless says the ENT can tell if there fluid trapped behind the ear drum by seeing inflamation and stuff.

I have been to the ENT and he said there was no fluid in my ears, did a hearing test everything was fine. He did say last year i had somehting called Rhinitis and gave my nose inhalers.

Does this sound like fluid trapped somewhere where the dr cant see?

Thanks!

Old 05-14-2007, 11:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wowwwweeee HB User
Smile Re: Can ENT See Fluid Behind EarDrum?

Hi,

I believe that upon a physical examination with their light, a physician can see if there is a bacterial or viral infection based on the color and texture "look" of your middle ear, but NOT the inner ear.

I think that a diagnosis of an inner ear infection or water is based upon how the middle ear looks and the symptoms/sensations that accompany the complaint.

Just a suggestion, but if you feel that you have inner ear congestion (which CAN be fluid or just inflammation), try a decogestant to see if the symptoms disappear or alleviate. Of course, always check with your doctor first.

Take care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2007, 11:38 AM   #3
(female)

cath1024 HB User
Re: Can ENT See Fluid Behind EarDrum?

Thank you for your reply ... so when the Dr told me he sees no fluid in my ears he really couldnt know for sure if there was fluid in my inner ear then right?

Can you get fluid in your inner ear?

This realy sounds like fluid but im not stuffed up, runny nose, sore throat etc ... i actually feel super it if wasnt for this fluid moving around sound.

I do have a thick PND at least i think thats what it is.

Does this sound like it could be fluid in the inner ear?

Old 05-14-2007, 11:38 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

tummy2 HB User

Can he see fluid... Sometimes, it can really depend on when he looks.. What they are looking for is air bibble behidn the ear drum to tell. The other mechanism they use is the typanogram which measures pressure in the ear canal. That will probably be more definitive. thats not to say that you cant have fluid in your ears.... Maybe a small amount which doesnt register, but can still cause some weird symptoms and sounds etc.... Popping, crackiling etc... It takes some time to dry up

Old 05-14-2007, 11:44 AM   #5
(female)

cath1024 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummy2 View Post
Can he see fluid... Sometimes, it can really depend on when he looks.. What they are looking for is air bibble behidn the ear drum to tell. The other mechanism they use is the typanogram which measures pressure in the ear canal. That will probably be more definitive. thats not to say that you cant have fluid in your ears.... Maybe a small amount which doesnt register, but can still cause some weird symptoms and sounds etc.... Popping, crackiling etc... It takes some time to dry up

No he sais he didnt see any fluid and then sent me for a hearing test which was fine ... he then told me to see my dentist whi i did and he said it wasnt anyhting to do with my ears.

So now i called back my ENT to see him again and i go June 7.

Im really getting scard that soemthing terrible is wrong!

Old 05-14-2007, 03:40 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wowwwweeee HB User
Smile Re: Can ENT See Fluid Behind EarDrum?

No doctor am I, however, I believe that your physician CANNOT see inner ear fluid, simply because they do not have access to viewing that part of the ear.

I believe what he was referring to, probably, was MIDDLE ear fluid - which sometimes will show it's presence by inflammation of the ear drum, as well as other symptoms like pain perhaps, or a fever.

If you do a search on inner ear fluid, you will find a lot of information on middle ear fluid.

Regardless, there isn't much to be done about fluid in your ear - usually, it will right itself with time. Fluid in the ear (congestion) can be caused by things like allergies or colds.

Try not to worry about your symptoms unless your doctor feels there is something to worry about! Your symptoms and sensations may be allergy related, or even migraine related.

It's great that your doctor has sent you for a hearing test, and that you are going back to your ENT within a few weeks - I know when you are anxious that it's a long time to wait.

You may want to look into the allergy or sinus route a little more - which seems like your physician was since he prescribed you a nasal spray.

Let your physician know that you are becoming fearful and worried about how you are feeling - sometimes getting healthy reassurance can make a difference in how you cope with an annoying and/or scary symptom.

Take care.

Old 05-14-2007, 04:33 PM   #7
(female)

cath1024 HB User

Thank you Wowwwweee,

I was told i had rhinitis last year by this same ENT that told me a couple months ago there was no fluid in my ear.

The fluid sound started about 4 months ago .... if it was fluid in the ear wouldnt i have pain in the ears by now or shouldnt it have cleared by now?

I am still taking the nasal inhalers which are helping with the thick post nasal drip but the swishing crackling sound of fluid is not getting any better.

Everything i have been reading is saying with fluid in the ears there will be pain and stuffy runny noses etc .... i have nothing other then the PND and this darn swishing gritty sound in my head!

Thanks again
Cathy

Old 05-16-2007, 06:28 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

tummy2 HB User

The inner ear is filled with fluid normally -- I think this discussion is regarding the middle ear... Which again... Subtle amounts of fluid in this area can cause some weird sensations... See 'Chronic Effusion' -- It takes a long time for fluid to drain from the ear....

Old 05-16-2007, 06:35 AM   #9
Veteran
(male)

tummy2 HB User

Oh and also, It is not necessary that pain be associated with Fluid in the middle ear.... Here is how it works...

Usually some type of inflammation caused by a virus affects yor eustacion tube openings.. Once the entrance gets blocked, it causes negative pressure in your eustacion tubes... What this negative pressure does is suck fluid from your outer tissue into the canal thereby creating some nice conditions for bacteria to grow. In some cases when you are sick, NOT ALWAYS, bacteria then gets lodged in the canal, and proliferates causing an infection... This is where the fluid buildup becomes sever enough to put pressure on yoiur ear drum and the structures in your ear.. But sine it has really nowhere to drain (since your opening is inflamed), it causes some intense pain... Sometimes even causing the drum to burst.... After the infection or in other cases, the fluid needs to drain.. Sometimes they put tubes in, other times it just takes time... Months etc..

Is it worse in the morning? -- Does it get better in the evening after you have been up all day?

Tummy

Old 05-16-2007, 06:43 AM   #10
(female)

cath1024 HB User

I dont have any pain or pressure or really anothing other then the constant need to snort hard to get the mucus into my throat to be able to spit it out ... there is nothing in my nose, it feels like there is mucus sitting behind my nose back of my throat area.

No it doesnt seem any different in the morning ... it is the same all the time and only when i move my head around or side to side.

It is also not just one sound happening its a steady stream of swishing when the head is moved around. Am i making sence? Its hard to describe the exact feeling/sound as some people are thinking i mean it is like a cracking or popping sound once in awhile.

My main wondering is why does the dr's tell me they dont see any fluid and then send me on my way with some naose inhalers?

Im hoping since the ENT told did tell me to come back that he will do something else to find out what this is.

To me it realy feels like it fluid gushing around.

Closed Thread