It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2007, 10:29 PM   #1
(male)

Perry2 HB User
How common is BPPV under age 50?

I have been suffering dizziness lately, usually due to being in a reclined position like a dentists chair or a inclined leg press machine in the gym. It spooks me quite a bit as I walk like a sailor for a few minutes after the initial dizziness but not a lot of other symptoms. It can even trigger from just looking up.
My MD did some BP tests, and simple neurological co-ordination tests in his office and said it is nothinh to worry about, but gave no real prognosis or definition for what I have.
I am a 46 year old male, with no recent head trauma, and this started about a week ago. The info I have read says I have the right symptoms but don't fit the profile.
My history is that I am a wee bit wobbly some times when I get up in the middle of the night for a dring of water but that was nothing like this recent stuff and seems more BP related than inner ear. I had a slight inner ear thing a year ago with tinnitis and some dizziness, but it passed away in a week and affected balance without the additional dizziness.
Laying on my back seems to be a trigger, as opposed to laying or sleeping on my side.
I tried the Brandt Daroff exercises a couple of times and they really get the dizziness going but they say these things are only for confirmed diagnosis of BPPV and are pointless if it is something like a tumor.
So first thing, how many under 50 BPPVs are actually out there? If under 50,what other symptoms did you have. Anyone?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2007, 10:34 PM   #2
(female)

susanb52 HB User
Re: How common is BPPV under age 50?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry2 View Post
I have been suffering dizziness lately, usually due to being in a reclined position like a dentists chair or a inclined leg press machine in the gym. It spooks me quite a bit as I walk like a sailor for a few minutes after the initial dizziness but not a lot of other symptoms. It can even trigger from just looking up.
My MD did some BP tests, and simple neurological co-ordination tests in his office and said it is nothinh to worry about, but gave no real prognosis or definition for what I have.
I am a 46 year old male, with no recent head trauma, and this started about a week ago. The info I have read says I have the right symptoms but don't fit the profile.
My history is that I am a wee bit wobbly some times when I get up in the middle of the night for a dring of water but that was nothing like this recent stuff and seems more BP related than inner ear. I had a slight inner ear thing a year ago with tinnitis and some dizziness, but it passed away in a week and affected balance without the additional dizziness.
Laying on my back seems to be a trigger, as opposed to laying or sleeping on my side.
I tried the Brandt Daroff exercises a couple of times and they really get the dizziness going but they say these things are only for confirmed diagnosis of BPPV and are pointless if it is something like a tumor.
So first thing, how many under 50 BPPVs are actually out there? If under 50,what other symptoms did you have. Anyone?
Well, I was 49 when I was diagnosed with BPPv- if they haven't done an Epley Maneuver- they should. 80% cure rate with one effort.

Did they do the tests to watch your eye movements etc?

Old 05-26-2007, 10:59 PM   #3
(male)

Perry2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanb52 View Post
Well, I was 49 when I was diagnosed with BPPv- if they haven't done an Epley Maneuver- they should. 80% cure rate with one effort.

Did they do the tests to watch your eye movements etc?

No he did a bunch of balance tests and, touch my nose-touch his finger kind of stuff which I think was a neurological problem hunt.
Was it a GP or an ENT Dr that diagnosed and treated you?

It seems like I am sensitive to loud music or TV volume lately. I want if that means I have an infection?

Old 05-27-2007, 04:23 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

firechick HB User

Hi Perry
BPPV hit me about 1.5 years after a bad labyrinthitis infection, that was the casue of it. I didn't realize it was BPPV for a long time but once I realized it was totally related to head movements, I spoke to a family friend who is a doctor. he did a pile of research for me and found info on the Modified Epeley Maneuver. there is a video on the sticky post (first post on the board) which shows you exactly how to do it. It literally cured me overnight. The only glitch is to know which side is affected as it determines which side you do the MEP on first and subsequently move the ear crystal back where they belong and out of the canal.
I was 35 when it hit me, so age doesn't seem to be the issue here. The labs must have messed up my inner ear considerably. I have had two recurrences in two years and each one was pretty mild compared to the first and the MEP took care of it right away. I just had my second recurrence a few weeks ago and I am still feeling a little unsettled after that, some decomp working its was in too.
Age is a factor with this and the norm with BPPV is with an older population, but I think there are lots of us young pups around with this problem too! Inner ear disorder don't really have any favorites!
Hope this helps a bit
FC

Old 05-27-2007, 07:54 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Subs30 HB UserSubs30 HB User
Talking Re: How common is BPPV under age 50?

how many under 50 BPPVs are actually out there? If under 50,what other symptoms did you have.

Hi

Not to many---most that have it are over 50---stats bellow---from Northwestern Univ web site(Dr Hain)---located in the "information archives" first post on this boad:

...."In Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) dizziness is generally thought to be due to debris which has collected within a part of the inner ear. This debris can be thought of as "ear rocks", although the formal name is "otoconia". Ear rocks are small crystals of calcium carbonate derived from a structure in the ear called the "utricle" (figure1 ). While the saccule also contains otoconia, they are not able to migrate into the canal system. The utricle may have been damaged by head injury, infection, or other disorder of the inner ear, or may have degenerated because of advanced age. Normally otoconia appear to have a slow turnover. They are probably dissolved naturally as well as actively reabsorbed by the "dark cells" of the labyrinth (Lim, 1973, 1984), which are found adjacent to the utricle and the crista, although this idea is not accepted by all (see Zucca, 1998, and Buckingham, 1999).

BPPV is a common cause of dizziness. About 20% of all dizziness is due to BPPV. While BPPV can occur in children (Uneri and Turkdogan, 2003), the older you are, the more likely it is that your dizziness is due to BPPV. About 50% of all dizziness in older people is due to BPPV. In a recent study, 9% of a group of urban dwelling elders were found to have undiagnosed BPPV (Oghalai et al., 2000).

The symptoms of BPPV include dizziness or vertigo, lightheadedness, imbalance, and nausea. Activities which bring on symptoms will vary among persons, but symptoms are almost always precipitated by a change of position of the head with respect to gravity. Getting out of bed or rolling over in bed are common "problem" motions . Because people with BPPV often feel dizzy and unsteady when they tip their heads back to look up, sometimes BPPV is called "top shelf vertigo." Women with BPPV may find that the use of shampoo bowls in beauty parlors brings on symptoms. An intermittent pattern is common. BPPV may be present for a few weeks, then stop, then come back again.

Supplemental material on the site DVD: Animation of otoconia being displaced into posterior canal

WHAT CAUSES BPPV?
The most common cause of BPPV in people under age 50 is head injury . There is also an association with migraine (Ishiyama et al, 2000). In older people, the most common cause is degeneration of the vestibular system of the inner ear. BPPV becomes much more common with advancing age (Froeling et al, 1991). In half of all cases, BPPV is called "idiopathic," which means it occurs for no known reason. Viruses affecting the ear such as those causing vestibular neuritis , minor strokes such as those involving anterior inferior cerebellar artery (AICA) syndrome", and Meniere's disease are significant but unusual causes. Occasionally BPPV follows surgery, where the cause is felt to be a combination of a prolonged period of supine positioning, or ear trauma when the surgery is to the inner ear (Atacan et al 2001). BPPV is also common in persons who have been treated with ototoxic medications such as gentamicin (Black et al, 2004). Other causes of positional symptoms are discussed here........"

Old 05-27-2007, 09:26 PM   #6
(female)

susanb52 HB User

My GP did the Epley maneuver- I was traveling and the urgent care clinic knew exactly what it was- but they just gave me meclizine for the nausea and told me I'd get better. Jeez! After a week it still was still the violent G- forces (gravity). The maneuver helped immeidately- but in my case not completely so I continued the home maneuvers on my own.
Wish you well-

Old 05-30-2007, 12:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Hi..I was 11 (41 years ago) when I had my first attack (right ear) after I had a fall that caused me whiplash. It continued a few times a year until I was diagnosed at age 21 by a pioneer in the field. Thankfully.

I've since developed it in my left ear at age 44 (which I believe was caused from a virus). Both ears were involved for a short time, but the left ear was continual for about 3 years. Then only periodically.

During attacks I use Sudafed, and do the maneuvers of Epley or Semont..depending on symptoms (myself).

quincy

Old 05-30-2007, 07:56 PM   #8
(female)

centaur1201 HB User

I'm 37 and was diagnosed with BPPV in January.
I can relate to the laying down thing. I have been sleeping with pillows propping me up at a 45 degree angle when I sleep. I takes a few nights to get used to it but now I know I can sleep on a plane!
You should try doing the Epley Monuvers at least once a day ( one site I was on said 3x's and I just don't have time for that so I do it when I get home from work.)I have been doing it since mid Feb. and I am miles from where I was then! I notice a definite improvement. I still have a "swirl" every now and then and sometimes the "boat" feeling but it is much better and shorter lived than it was when it originally hit me in Oct. of 2006.
Good Luck! Hope you're feeling better soon!

Closed Thread