It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2007, 07:34 PM   #1
(female)

curiouscat02 HB User
Dread the Epley maneuver. What now?

I have had four attacks of whirling, sickening vertigo in four years. It takes one week for me to get out of bed. I get attacks when I am on the floor with back exercises and turn my head to the right. Once I had the vibrator on my sore neck and suddenly the world started spinning, nausea, etc. for hours after that, with a hideous migraine headache. I still hear a steady hissing sound in my ears. Doctors (2) said BPPV and then viral labrynthitis. I dread the Epley maneuver because then I imagine I will have to go through the hideous disease yet another time. After the third attack I tried the Epley maneuver from a diagram by myself as I was getting well and then had to wait another several days staring straight ahead, not moving my head an inch! So I just can't make myself go to the doctor to 'get rid of the crystals.' Has anybody else just gotten over this without alot of tests...tests that seem to me to be a waste of time?

This past month I have been kept alive by everyone's conversations on this board. I AM VERY THANKFUL to everybody. I am still scared of the whole disease and how it makes me feel. but you all have made it alot easier.

Last edited by curiouscat02; 06-17-2007 at 07:36 PM. Reason: mistakes

Old 06-17-2007, 09:46 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Subs30 HB UserSubs30 HB User
Talking Re: Dread the Epley maneuver. What now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiouscat02 View Post
I have had four attacks of whirling, sickening vertigo in four years. It takes one week for me to get out of bed. I get attacks when I am on the floor with back exercises and turn my head to the right. Once I had the vibrator on my sore neck and suddenly the world started spinning, nausea, etc. for hours after that, with a hideous migraine headache. I still hear a steady hissing sound in my ears. Doctors (2) said BPPV and then viral labrynthitis. I dread the Epley maneuver because then I imagine I will have to go through the hideous disease yet another time. After the third attack I tried the Epley maneuver from a diagram by myself as I was getting well and then had to wait another several days staring straight ahead, not moving my head an inch! So I just can't make myself go to the doctor to 'get rid of the crystals.' Has anybody else just gotten over this without alot of tests...tests that seem to me to be a waste of time?

This past month I have been kept alive by everyone's conversations on this board. I AM VERY THANKFUL to everybody. I am still scared of the whole disease and how it makes me feel. but you all have made it alot easier.

Hi

U can try the MEP(Modified Epley Procedure) located in the "sticky"--1st post on board ----******** the instructions & the video....

It is not unusual to have Lab fellowed by BPPV---Doc's tend to think inner ear structure is weaken by the Lab---making it possible for the rocks to roll out & into the canal(s)...

As long as their in there(rocks) ur going to have the prob......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2007, 04:50 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

firechick HB User
Re: Dread the Epley maneuver. What now?

Don't be scared of the epeley...once I figured out that I had BPPV that maneuver was like a magic pill. My spinning stopped after the second time doing it (I did it three times a day). The key is knowing which ear is affected, and I am assuming the doctor who did it to you knows which ear to put down first (the affected ear). I never had it done to me, I just did the Modified Epeley Maneuver at home and have had complete relief since. I did have residual effects after as my vestibular system had been through the ringer and I needed to do lots of compensating afterwards.
This maneuver can fix you...for good even...so going through a few spins in the process is well worth it in my opinion!
Have you read the first post on this board (sticky) with the video of the MEP? Check it out and good luck with it.
FC

Old 06-18-2007, 05:28 PM   #4
(female)

centaur1201 HB User

Sorry to hear about your delima. I know how you feel though. I was diagnosed with BPPV in Oct.'06, and waited 3 months to go to a Dr. They did the epley, and I did not feel better right away. They gave me a sheet with directions on how to perform it at home. Like you I was terrified of getting dizzy all over again or making it worse, but I was getting fed up with feeling like crap! After reading several posts from people for whom the Epely was successful, I decided it was time to get pro-active and do what needed to be done to get better. So I gritted my teeth, held on to the bed and started to do the Epley (MEP) on a daily basis.(one site I was on said to do it 3x's a day, but my schedule does not allow for that, so I modified it to once a day usually after work in the evening.) Well, I've been doing that since February and the has been huge improvement for me! It wasn't until last month that I started to taper off and do the MEP less frequently (1x every 3-4 days). I'm trying a little experiment since I've been doing better. But I still seems to have my Off day here and there. I actually have been having, what I call a "tilt-n-slide" once or twice a day for the last week. AAAARRRRGGGGG! But my situation is soooooooo much better than it was. I think, like you that there might be Labs involved, since my dizziness showed up after I was having an ear infection. Who knows? I do know that I'm a lot better, and you can get better too! It takes a lot of patience though and some bravery. I hope that you are feeling better soon!

Old 06-19-2007, 11:53 AM   #5
(female)

curiouscat02 HB User

Centaur1201

Last time I had an attack, about 6 months ago, I was getting well. I tried the Epley maneuver flat on the floor. I couldn't get to square two because as soon as I turned over on my right side, my spinning became so bad I ran for my bed and started throwing up. Stayed in one position for another three days until I could function a little bit.That was right after I had already done the same thing the week before. If I were the only person to be affected by this, I wouldn't mind, I guess, but my husband has to run around and take care of me. Right now I can do most things, play tennis and move about the house. I can move my head and even tilt it now. At night I wake up with bouncing eyeballs and a panic sweat when I feel the world start to go around. I sit up right away and stare straight ahead, concentrating on one spot and breathing deeply. Thank God it rights itself. I think the head gets in the wrong positions while I sleep, although I start out with a semi-sitting position.
I am curious to know ---What's a tilt n slide? Also exactly what do you do when you are doing your Epley at home? Maybe I did it wrong. I followed the diagram my first ENT gave me. YOU ARE a BRAVE PERSON!!!

Last edited by curiouscat02; 06-19-2007 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Duplication.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:57 AM   #6
(female)

curiouscat02 HB User

Subs30: I clicked on the picture of someone's head anatomy in the sticky, and everything else I could find. I got to a 9-box listing some titles but couldn't get anything to work for me. No sign of an MEP or ********. My computer normally gives me popups. Any further suggestions? thanks so much! curiouscat: confused:

Old 06-19-2007, 12:20 PM   #7
(female)

curiouscat02 HB User

Firechick:

Neither of my two doctors seemed to care a whit about which ear. Of course the second one wanted me to sign up for alot of tests, which I didn't do. I don't trust him, simply because he said I had classic 'viral labrynthitis' --and so I asked him why the tests? He said in case he was wrong!! He also said that he can't explain why I got vertigo four years ago, and then I had it twice more before I got his diagnosis which referred to the present attack. Because apparently v.Labs. is a one-time thing. Like a cold. ( I guess you can have a cold several times in a row. ) But anyway he did not make me feel confident enough to go through what looks like (from all the stories of board members who get thrown to the floor or have proj. vomiting) arduous tests that are expensive and obviously non-conclusive. Am I overreacting?

Last edited by curiouscat02; 06-19-2007 at 12:24 PM. Reason: missing name of respondent

Old 06-19-2007, 04:41 PM   #8
(female)

centaur1201 HB User

Curiouscat02-
What I call a "tilt-n-slide" is the sudden feeling that the room suddenly tilted at an angle and feelis like it's sliding. This all happens very fast, out of the blue. I hate it! Today though I have not had one.( knock on wood!)
I think that you may have done the Epley wrong. You said that you were lying flat on the floor? The way that the flyer I was given said to put a couple of pillows behind you so that lying on your back it will be under your shoulders. Then it says to lie back quickly with shoulders on the pillow, neck extended and head resting on the bed. But I do mine with my head just barely hanging off the end of the bed, simply because this was the position that the Dr. had me in when he did it the first time. The idea is to get the "rocks" to enter into the canal and as you are moving your head through the various positions that those rocks will roll through the semicircular canal and pass out. The is a sticky at the top of all the posts, I think it is still there, but it has good info. You can also try a search for BPPV and get some stuff that way.
Try [url]www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/bppv/bppv.html[/url].
I believe I found a site that has a nifty animated video showing the process also.
Thanks for saying I'm brave. I'm not really. I just got tierd of feeling like a victim. I still get scared that something will happen and put me right back to square one. Hope to God that never happens! But until then I'm makeing the best of it!
I know what you mean about not trusting the Dr. When I went in they seemed to rush me through, I even felt like they were annoyed with me! Some of the questions that I asked like"what about the ringing?" And "What about the occasional pain?' were met with a shrug and a "I don't know?" Nice huh? So although they diagnosed me with BPPV, some of the symptoms I have/had seem to be something else that I'm sure is related. But, oh well, I am just so glad to feel better! Most of my days are anywere from 95%-100%, and I thought that I would never have days like that again!
I have to say that this has been a learning experience, and has taught me some things. Three things come to mind: 1)Patience 2)Appreciation for days that are normal. I try to make the best of each and really enjoy them! 3)Taking care of myself. Slowing down when I need it, feeding myself good foods, and getting good rest and as much as I can!
Take care!

Last edited by centaur1201; 06-20-2007 at 09:34 PM.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:48 PM   #9
(female)

balancechicago HB User

Hello,
The epley, MEP, canalith repositioning maneuber all can make you dizzy; however, that is the a good sign that it is working.
If doing it at home, go through the positions slowly - minimizing the severity of the symptoms. Stay in each position until your symptom clear, wait an additional 30 seconds and continue.
What you are actually doing during these are allowing gravity to move the crystals back to where they belong. If you do not move them back, you will become dizzy every time you get into that position.
I understand how scary it is to be dizzy, but know that it will pass and ultimately this is the fix for BPPV.
All the best,
M

Old 06-20-2007, 05:43 PM   #10
(female)

treefarmer HB User

Yes! Bravo Balance Chicago. I was reading this thread and prepared to respond, when you said very well what I was going to. Yeah it's a trip to have the world spinning around, but if you just hold that position, the spinning will eventually stop within about 30 seconds or so. That's what docs who know what they're doing during the Epley wait for. Then the repositioning of the crystals can happen. The Epley can be a very effective thing if you get a doc who knows what they're doing. As long as those little buggers (crystals) are in there, you will continue to have problems, so it's a must to get them out. That's one of the basic things that makes for classic BPPV. Get them out and the healing can begin. Also, don't let docs tell you you have to sit up or sleep sitting up, etc. keeping your head in a fixed position for days after the Epley. It's not true. Just be cautious about your movements afterward.

Regarding being apprehensive to spin during the maneuver, just ask yourself: what's the worst that can happen? You're not going to die. If you're at a doctor's office it's a very controlled setting. Maybe you will vomit, but so what? These things are all hurdles that can be cleared. YOU ARE STRONGER THAN YOU THINK YOU ARE! Sorry to shout, but it's true! It freaks us out because it's a temporary lack of control, but it is temporary. Curious cat, let yourself get to the other side of it. If you keep doing the MEP at home, the decrease in spinning is the only way for you to tell if you're making progress. If you stop each time you start spinning, you'll be stuck at square one or two.

Good luck!
Terri

Old 06-20-2007, 08:33 PM   #11
(female)

balancechicago HB User

Terri,
First, thanks for your kind words.
Second, believe what you wrote and go back to yoga
(Just trying to give you a little nudge in the right direction.) When your BPPV is clear it is clear. I am willing to bet that yoga did not cause your vertigo, it was just the first time your symptoms manifested themselves. It saddens me when people don't get back to the things they love especially yoga - it is my personal favorite.
All the best fellow yogi,
Michele

Old 06-21-2007, 04:37 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

firechick HB User

I often wonder if it was anything other than a major case of labs two years previous to my first BPPV attack that brought it on. I had a massage the day it started and often wonder if that is what brought it on. I do know that my vestibular system got pretty messed up with my labs attack, (my doctor gave me a gold start for that one, said he had never seen such a bad one as I sat throwing up in his office as my eyes involuntarily rolled in cirles in my head). My tests showed a 40% loss of my right ear in the ENG test.
About two months after my first BPPV attack I figured out that it wasn't another labs infection, it must have been a pretty bad attack as I was debilitated and couldn't function for a few days and even then it brought on some pretty bad residual symptoms. It wasn't until a month or two later that I was beginng to feel better as the crystals were probably dissolving that I noticed the dizziness only came on with specific head movements. When I mentioned it to my friend's husband who is a docotor, he did more research for me and found the Modified Epeley Maneuver and showed me how to do it. I spun like a top in every position the first time I did it, it was quite a ride. Two hours later I did it again and spun only in the last position (head down) and the next morning I did it again and nothing....was spin free for a year and back to normal when I had a slight blip in my sight and knew itwas back. One MEP and it was gone again, that day I had had a dentist apt...just wondering if the crystal were already loose in both cases and holding my head in a side position for a long time (massage and dentist chair) that brought it on or just coincidence, not sure, but now am a little scared of going for a cleaning.
that's the storey
FC

Old 06-21-2007, 10:39 AM   #13
(female)

treefarmer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by balancechicago View Post
Terri,
First, thanks for your kind words.
Second, believe what you wrote and go back to yoga
(Just trying to give you a little nudge in the right direction.) When your BPPV is clear it is clear. I am willing to bet that yoga did not cause your vertigo, it was just the first time your symptoms manifested themselves. It saddens me when people don't get back to the things they love especially yoga - it is my personal favorite.
All the best fellow yogi,
Michele

Ha! Thanks for that. Touche!
Simply put, though, the yoga was nice, but at the end of the day certainly not important enough for me get back to. I'm not sad about it at all. There are too many other things I enjoy more, like cycling and swimming. And you may be right; the inversions may not have caused the BPPV, but I have read and heard about many other instances, including on this board, where yoga was the culprit. I'll never know for sure.

Namaste!
T

Old 06-21-2007, 07:06 PM   #14
(female)

curiouscat02 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by balancechicago View Post
Hello,
The epley, MEP, canalith repositioning maneuber all can make you dizzy; however, that is the a good sign that it is working.
If doing it at home, go through the positions slowly - minimizing the severity of the symptoms. Stay in each position until your symptom clear, wait an additional 30 seconds and continue.
What you are actually doing during these are allowing gravity to move the crystals back to where they belong. If you do not move them back, you will become dizzy every time you get into that position.
I understand how scary it is to be dizzy, but know that it will pass and ultimately this is the fix for BPPV.
All the best,
M
Balance....this is so good. You are the first one to give me a crucial piece of the puzzle which is: that the spinning will stop after 30 seconds. If I had known that when my head got in the wrong position, I could have just waited and maybe saved myself days of agony. My head started spinning this morning when I turned over in bed, so I jerked upward and just waited it out.
Thanks to you, and Firechick and the others who answered in this thread, I may be getting some confidence..not much, but even a gram of it is soooo helpful. I want to be like you all and just lay down and DO IT!! That is my goal. I studied the sites that have diagrams more just now and have a better idea of where and how those canaliths (the little dears) are supposed to go home to mama. It's all in feeling control over one's destiny, isn't it?

Old 06-21-2007, 07:12 PM   #15
(female)

curiouscat02 HB User

Ha ha Firechick. It isn't funny really but the image of sitting on the doctor's gurney (the flat thing with the white sheet) throwing up and your eyes going around in circles ...describes it to a TEEE. I still don't know which ear is the bad one. I got my attacks each time I turned my head to the right while I was on the floor with my tennis stretches and lower back exercises. So I guess that means it's the right ear? Soo thankful for your post.

Closed Thread