It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2007, 04:22 PM   #1
(female)

6-paq HB User
Question Dizzy during Tymp test???

I have been having brief periods of lightheadedness (1-2 seconds) since mid-2006. Started having constant headaches in forehead, temple, sinus area and occasional right ear pressure in January. I have pulsatile tinnitus in my left ear and ringing tinnitus in my right.

Neuro ordered brain MRI and found 2 lesions (non-brainstem). Along with these symptoms, I've been having tingling/numbess in my feet and lower legs (have lumbar stenosis/disk herniation, so ??). Neuro is thinking MS, but LP is "normal".

Neuro suspects dizziness is MS related. I'm thinking more inner ear since I have a long history of sinus/allergy issues. I went to see an ENT PA and had a Tymp and Audiogram. During the Tympanometry test, I got dizzy when they put the pressure in my right ear. My hearing is "excellent", no hearing loss however.

ENT PA didn't say anything about the tymp test and thinks TMJ and is sending me for a Sinus CT. If CT is ok, then sending me for PT for TMJ.

Neuro ordered a VNG and ABR. During the caloric test, the MD stated that I have something peripheral happening with my right ear. I had no dizziness during the cold air in both left/right ears, dizziness in the left ear only with the warm air, none in right ear. He said that dizziness during a Tymp is not normal... Don't have results of the ABR yet. Neuro appt to follow-up is next week, but I'm anxious.

So, has anyone had the dizziness with the Tymp? Any ideas as to what could cause this... I can't find any info online...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2007, 01:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

comeandrelax HB User
Re: Dizzy during Tymp test???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6-paq View Post
I have been having brief periods of lightheadedness (1-2 seconds) since mid-2006. Started having constant headaches in forehead, temple, sinus area and occasional right ear pressure in January. I have pulsatile tinnitus in my left ear and ringing tinnitus in my right.

Neuro ordered brain MRI and found 2 lesions (non-brainstem). Along with these symptoms, I've been having tingling/numbess in my feet and lower legs (have lumbar stenosis/disk herniation, so ??). Neuro is thinking MS, but LP is "normal".

Neuro suspects dizziness is MS related. I'm thinking more inner ear since I have a long history of sinus/allergy issues. I went to see an ENT PA and had a Tymp and Audiogram. During the Tympanometry test, I got dizzy when they put the pressure in my right ear. My hearing is "excellent", no hearing loss however.

ENT PA didn't say anything about the tymp test and thinks TMJ and is sending me for a Sinus CT. If CT is ok, then sending me for PT for TMJ.

Neuro ordered a VNG and ABR. During the caloric test, the MD stated that I have something peripheral happening with my right ear. I had no dizziness during the cold air in both left/right ears, dizziness in the left ear only with the warm air, none in right ear. He said that dizziness during a Tymp is not normal... Don't have results of the ABR yet. Neuro appt to follow-up is next week, but I'm anxious.

So, has anyone had the dizziness with the Tymp? Any ideas as to what could cause this... I can't find any info online...

hmm thats kinda interesting. i have right inner ear dysfunction and when they did the hearing test for me they did the pressure in the right ear and i got dizzy. so maybe it has to do with having dysfunction in your right inner ear. my hearing was 100% too

anyone else get dizzy with the pressure in your ears test ?

Old 06-22-2007, 01:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

comeandrelax HB User

im getting really curious about this

i looked it up and read that it can diagnose ETD. i remember in the start of this when i would tilt my head back i would hear a whoosing sound in my right ear. that went away after a few months. is it possible that i had a blocked ear tube at the time and its just not blocked anymore and thats why i got dizzy during that test?

Last edited by comeandrelax; 06-22-2007 at 01:13 PM.

Old 06-22-2007, 04:58 PM   #4
(female)

6-paq HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeandrelax View Post
im getting really curious about this

i looked it up and read that it can diagnose ETD. i remember in the start of this when i would tilt my head back i would hear a whoosing sound in my right ear. that went away after a few months. is it possible that i had a blocked ear tube at the time and its just not blocked anymore and thats why i got dizzy during that test?
The only information I could find on dizziness during the Tymp test was concerning "superior canal dehiscence". Where did you find info regarding ETD? I'm really curious as to read more about that.

I haven't met with my neuro to discuss the results of the VNG (and the dizziness during the Tymp), but the MD that gave me the test is going to recommend to my neuro that I see an ENT (and not a PA like I had just seen).

Would you recommend that I try to find a neurotologist instead of a "regular" ENT? I'm very concerned that any MD I see will blow off my symptoms as "MS Symptoms" instead of looking at other causes for what's happening...

Old 06-22-2007, 05:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

comeandrelax HB User

well i talked to my balance doc today and i asked him about it. he said that the test itself was normal and that the fact that i got dizzy just had to do with my right inner ear . he said it wasn't abnormal for that to happen. now if the test showed a problem then thats something to look into

Old 06-22-2007, 07:57 PM   #6
(female)

6-paq HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeandrelax View Post
well i talked to my balance doc today and i asked him about it. he said that the test itself was normal and that the fact that i got dizzy just had to do with my right inner ear . he said it wasn't abnormal for that to happen. now if the test showed a problem then thats something to look into
Thanks for that info comeandrelax. So, did he mean that since you have a problem with your right inner ear, that it was not abnormal to get dizzy or that it's basically not abnormal in any case to get dizzy during the Tymp???

The Audiologist that gave me the Tymp said it was something that I definitely needed to mention to the ENT PA (who basically ignored it). The Doc that gave me the VNG said that he gives Tymp all the time and that it's not normal to get dizzy during the test. BTW, my Tymp was normal as well, except for the dizziness.

Hmmm..... I'm curious to see what my neuro thinks.

Thanks!

Old 06-22-2007, 08:52 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

comeandrelax HB User

well i think he means just that if you got dizzy than something is going on with your balance system and that you should mention that to your doc and he then infact found that your right inner ear was off. if your tests showed results were normal and you got dizzy than the dizziness had nothing to do with that test. my doc said that your inner ear is filled with fluid and if your ear drum is vibrating during the test its going to mess with an ear that is damaged already

thats probably why your ent and other doc just didn;t really pay any attention to it.

so ask your neuro and let me know what he says

Old 06-23-2007, 05:17 AM   #8
(male)

mironUK HB User

Hi 6-paq!

Do you have any other neurological symptoms (other than one you already mentioned)?
Two lesions on MRI say nothing about MS as they should be seen in dynamic. LP is clear and could be an indication that there is no autoimmune issues and, hence, MS (in fact, LP is usually is one of the final tests to be done to confirm MS). Have you done evoked potentials or c-spine MRI?

I find it surprising that someone could say “possible MS” based only on these symptoms.

I’ve gone through similar problems and I had dizziness, pins & needles, numbing (sometimes so painful and severe that I couldn’t sleep or even walk in the morning). So possibility of MS came to my mind many times and I made a lot of research on this topic and talked to my neurologist as he is a real pro in MS and runs an MS clinic in London.
It is unlikely dizziness could be the first sign of MS. Yes, it could be a symptom of MS (as many others) but is highly unlikely to be the first one, especially without hearing loss. Diagnosing MS is a very complicated matter and just saying “possible MS” based on the information provided by you is incorrect.

I do honestly believe your problems are inner ear related. Is there any chance you can see another neurologist?

All the best
Alexey

Closed Thread