It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2007, 04:03 PM   #1
(female)

curiouscat02 HB User
Question For Balancechicago: need direction!

Hi Balance, I am again!

FINALLY got up the courage to do an MEP head-hanging over the edge of my bed. (First time Epley ever anywhere) Did right ear: 1st position 45 deg. waited...waited...nothing. 2nd. waited....waited...waited...nothing. Then I turned over into the down position and waited....waited.....waited about 20 sec each time. Nothing!
Then I sat up....nothing.

So I did the left ear. Nothing, no spinning for the first three positions. Then when I sat up the whirling began! I waited a little while but not long.

Then next thing I did was get back down to do the right (the one I did first) ear once more. Nothing again in the first three positions and then when I sat up at the end, I was just like I started! I felt fine! no ill effects.

Did I do it wrong? What is your take? Anyone? (I was so proud of myself for doing it I ate the rest of the triple chocolate ice cream in the freezer!! )

Last edited by curiouscat02; 06-27-2007 at 04:04 PM.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:55 PM   #2
(female)

balancechicago HB User
Re: For Balancechicago: need direction!

Good work! You did not do anything wrong, keep working on the MEP twice per day. Eventually no more spins.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2007, 07:11 AM   #3
(female)

curiouscat02 HB User

Thankyou,... I feel much appreciation for your answers to me!! Yes, I did the MEP again today, this time flat on the floor where it was first, (and then three times more a few years later) triggered doing exercises for my back. I felt only slightly car-sick, but nothing ...a little whirl when I sat up quickly. I am gaining confidence with this. THANKS TO YOU AND THE BOARD.
All I have left now is a) brain fog with a sense of motion from time to time during the day. But from what I have been reading here, others have that too. b) the hissing in the ears around the clock.
Also will Charlotte's VRT's help at this point? My balance is 98 percent good. Note: bending over and looking up both o.k. Vision is a bit strange, nothing I can pinpoint. (Balance- hope you are getting compensated for your knowledge in 'real life.') A Grateful Cat

Last edited by curiouscat02; 06-29-2007 at 07:23 AM.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:17 PM   #4
(female)

balancechicago HB User

Cat,
VRTs would help with the brain fog. Also, you only need to do the MEP to the side that is affected. It won't hurt to do it to both, but you do not have to
Thanks for the concern about my financial situation, that is super sweet of you. It is coming along slowly. As you have experienced there are few people that have experience with treating vestibular disorders and even fewer doing it well. My biggest road block is lack of knowledge that I exist.
All the best,

Old 07-09-2007, 05:21 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

firechick HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiouscat02 View Post
Hi Balance, I am again!

So I did the left ear. Nothing, no spinning for the first three positions. Then when I sat up the whirling began! I waited a little while but not long.

)
Hey CC,
Last summer, exactly one full year since my first BPPV attack, I was stretching on the floor and I noticed a blip in my vision. I had been 100% for about 8 months prior to this event. I thought that wasn't good, so I went to my bed and did the MEP and no symptoms showed up. I felt like crap for the afternoon, sort of sea sick, so later that afternoon I did it again. My right ear is affected so I do it with my right ear down in the first position. Well I went through all three positions no problem and when I sat up, I felt off and10 sec later spun like crazy for about 15 seconds...so something was out of place. I did the MEP again before bed and didn't have any symptoms again in any position and continued doing them for a couple of weeks as a precaution. It took me a few weeks to start to feel back to my old self again, but very curious as to where exactly those crystals were to cause the vertigo in the sit-up position.
This summer, one year almost to the day again, I had another slight episode where I would do the MEP and I wouldn't spin but my eyes were actually doing some nystagmus almost like they were trying very hard not to spin, my head was aching, like it was working overtime to figure out why my vestibular system was feeding it the wrong info from the eyes...very interesting. but nothing since so that's great.
Keep at it, sounds like you are on your way to recovery.
FC

Old 07-11-2007, 11:11 AM   #6
(female)

curiouscat02 HB User

FC: Could it be also that the crystals don't quite get back 'home' and when we sit up, that they settle back (or forward) out of place again, or....maybe into a better place! The movement causing the spin?

I am trying to find a decent diagram of the inner ear. The Northwestern University diagram makes it look like one would put the opposite ear to the affected one down first. I have had spinning on the right side (that was the initially triggered side) and then on the first epley I spun just with the left side down. So I now do both ears --every few days I switch. Last night I was looking up at the TV while left ear down, and got a little nystagmus eye-shake. I tried to get it again, but couldn't. No spins. Feel great. Let's keep fingers crossed that there will be no bad surprises. Thanks for your post.
CC

Last edited by curiouscat02; 07-11-2007 at 11:14 AM.

Closed Thread