It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2007, 10:10 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzyandsad HB User
Question Eyes....please read

So when I had asked Neurologist (who gave me Labs dx) about my visuals she said she didnt think there was any correlation between Labs and visuals (although i knew there was cause you all have them too) I made an appt to have eyes checked anyways just to make sure. So went to eye appt (made me more dizzy already dizzy from the new VRTs) and everything looks fine. He did say he didnt even see a nystagmus. What does that mean if I dont have nystagmus maybe I am getting better or maybe I dont have Labs at all?? Do you have to have a nystagmus to have Labs/VN????? Anyways I also went into two stores and a library! Very dizzing day but I did it yay me!!

Old 06-29-2007, 10:39 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Jaxzilla HB User
Re: Eyes....please read

What kind of visuals are you having? Jumpy, blurred vision...is your depth perception off??? Does your eyes feel like they cant see the wholel picture together? Most of us do have visuals problems with this inner ear disorder, they go hand in hand. They are the LAST symptoms to go as I was told. Hope you feel better soon!

Cathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2007, 11:30 AM   #3
(female)

willsmomm HB User

Hi - just to say it is normal to see NO nystagmus in the eyes - after you have had labs for more than a few days - simply because the brain does something called a 'central clamp' and basically supresses the nystagmus. The eyes are affected by having vn or labs simply because the inner ear controls the very fine eye movements. When I was dizzy I had lots of weird things with my vision - if I moved my head from side to side - it was like what I saw was almost in frames - all jumpy and not smooth. If I moved my had around things appeared to jump and I had a lot of depth perception problems. But there is nothing actually wrong with your eyes. Also the brain literally ignores the vestibular signals (central clamp) for a period of time and this means that you rely more on your vision and proproception to give you balance and this also adds to the visual oddness - its just a mis-match of signals - over time as you improve it all gets better! Try and go with it - dizzy or not - keep on going - it will improve and well done for getting out there!

Last edited by willsmomm; 06-29-2007 at 11:33 AM. Reason: spelling!

Old 06-29-2007, 12:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzyandsad HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxzilla View Post
What kind of visuals are you having? Jumpy, blurred vision...is your depth perception off??? Does your eyes feel like they cant see the wholel picture together? Most of us do have visuals problems with this inner ear disorder, they go hand in hand. They are the LAST symptoms to go as I was told. Hope you feel better soon!

Cathy
Hi Cathy,
Yeah they dont really interfere with me much would take them anyday over my dizziness. Well they have trouble tracking takes a second for them to catch up and, I have had a funny lights/blurring twice in the four months I have had this and mostly bouncy a little but I can still watch TV and I read just fine so not really any biggie. Thats why I am wondering if I might recover a little sooner than some others because my visuals arent really severe and I dont really have any ear issues (tinnitus, ear fullness/pain).

Old 06-29-2007, 12:28 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Jaxzilla HB User

Those visuals that you are experiencing are very common with labs/vn. So dont think that there is anything else wrong with your eyes. Knowing when you are going to recover is the hard part. I used to do the same as you....thinking I wont have it as long as some others, but unfornately I am going on my 16 month and doing well. I had a blip that lasted 3 weeks, but I feel so much better now. The best thing to do is keeping telling yourself that you will recover and take each day as it comes. I would also tell myself that when each day passed, it was another day closer to my recovery.

Cathy

Closed Thread