It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2007, 05:08 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User
Does VRT really work? - new study

Hi All,

This new study shows that VRT is indeed very effective even in the acute stages of vestibular disorders. Even though I would never doubt this anyway, it's great to see just how effective it is with real numbers to compare with people who did placebo exercises.

Quote:
Vestibular Rehabilitation Exercises in Acute Vertigo
AR Venosa, MD, PhD; RS Bittar, MD, PhD
The Laryngoscope, July 2007

In summary

- the researchers evaluated the effect of vestibular rehabilitation exercises in the early stages of peripheral vestibular disorders.

- study group (45 patients) performed exercises for adaptation of the vestibulo-ocular reflex; the control group (42 patients) performed placebo exercises.

- the established treatment for the early stages after vestibular lesion is still the use of drugs intended mainly to alleviate symptoms. Most drugs are used empirically and have a potential to delay compensation for vestibular damage.

Exercises used in the study group

1) gaze is fixed on a stationary visual target while the head is rotated right and left.
2) gaze is fixed on a hand-held visual target that moves in the opposite direction of the head.

Exercises performed in the horizontal and vertical planes for 1 minute each, 3 times a day for 3 weeks. Patients rotated their head within their comfort range and speed and were instructed to start slowly and to increase the velocity of the movement, progressively, and to perform the exercises as rapidly as they could tolerate. (sounds like Michele wrote this )

Results

- The study group consisted of 45 patients, aged 21 to 72 (mean = 46) years, of whom 27 (60&#37 were female. No differences in dizziness between the study group and control group before the study commenced.

- by 10 to 14 days after the intervention, 67% of the study group needed no medication compared with 3% of the controls. By 21 days 87% of the study group needed no meds compared with 18% of controls.

- the study group performed better than the controls in all the parameters analysed: dizziness improved faster, the need for medication was smaller, and the results of the neuro-otological tests became normal faster.
Best...Scott

Last edited by studyin; 07-02-2007 at 05:12 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2007, 06:28 AM   #2
(male)

montana HB User
Re: Does VRT really work? - new study

Hey Scott,

Thanks for the article. I started the Charlote VRT's on June 8. I had been foggy headed and feeling tired for about 3 weeks straight. I also worked everday outdoors guiding fishermen on the river. I had no signs of it going away until June 27. On June 25 I felt about as bad as ever. But for about 5 days now I am almost symptom free. I can find some fogginess during the day and some moments it seems to be coming back but it only lasts for a few minutes for now. The fatigue is not so bad either. This is what BalanceChicago said my recovery should look like and it is. I am still doing the exercises 2x a day.

My history is that I started getting the dizzies on March 15. 14 weeks or so. Never was the heavy vertigo. Just heavy fogginess, fatigue, some trouble focusing, eye twitches, pressure on the front of my head. Anxiety.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

charlotte67 HB User

Honestly...Balance knows what she is talking about.

I am feeling better too...

Old 07-02-2007, 02:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi Charlotte,

Absolutely - never thought otherwise for a second - but good to see numbers like this - to see how so many people in a study like this saw really great results in a relatively short period of time. Thought it would give others even more inspiration to stick with it as it can feel so lousy after doing VRT.

Cheers....Scott

Old 07-02-2007, 02:40 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

charlotte67 HB User

Scot...you are the best!

Old 07-05-2007, 06:06 AM   #6
(female)

peglee HB User

This is my first time on this site. I'm looking for some help for my mom. She is 85 and about 3 years ago was diagnosed with having a degenerated inner ear organ and also has a blocked artery in the back of her neck. She has since suffered on and off with dizzyness, weakness, offbalance that sort of thing. Sorry..I don't know much about all this and haven't found any info specific to a degenerated organ. Would these exercises be helpful for her? Her doctor feels there's not much that can be done...any help found ever with accupuncture, massage or any other things like that? Her symptoms seem to be worsening and coming with greater frequency lately. I really appreciate any guidance you can give!! Thanks.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:10 PM   #7
(female)

balancechicago HB User

Scott,
Good for you for doing your homework. There is another study that I will post that reports excellent results after a 6 month follow up. (currently, it is at my office.)

Keep at it everyone! This is fixable.

Peglee, if your Mom was to try any of the VRT she should do so with caution due to the blocked artery in her neck. Get that treated first. I would print out the exercises, bring them to the doctor and let the doctor decide.

All the best,

Old 07-09-2007, 08:06 PM   #8
(female)

susanb52 HB User

In what issue was this published?

Old 07-09-2007, 08:44 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Vestibular Rehabilitation Exercises in Acute Vertigo