It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2007, 06:04 AM   #1
(female)

redsands HB User
Help Flying- Resulting In Bppv

does anyonehave trouble w/ flying. I hate to think I have to give up traveling- but when I take a flight( and god forbid like in 6wks ago had to take connecting flights), and oddly enough this happens mainly in months of May, June, july, August, September- I assume high allergy season. Now I was diagnosed after going through all the vestibular testing w/ bppv and etd(eustachian tube dysfunction) and given exercies (VRT)-But- the dizzies- ear pressure- etc doesn't happen till about 3 wks after the flight( so my oto neurologist said- see- it isn't the flight- it would have happened right away- SOMETHING DOESN'T ADD UP HERE- how come it always happens after a flight- and happens during the months I listed above?? I have gone to about 5 drs- maybe more- so now I wonder what to do- I am continuing w/ my VRT exercises faithfully- when I flew I did what they told me- ear planes, sudafed, my allergy pills, nose spray when the plane descends. Now that I am home- I am just trying to get out of this- it can take a few weeks-
Anyone have any ideas for me- I guess when I get this I start clutching at straws- wonder if it is dietary- now I try and eat every few hours to keep my blood sugar level

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2007, 02:16 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Subs30 HB UserSubs30 HB User
Talking Re: Help Flying- Resulting In Bppv

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsands View Post
does anyonehave trouble w/ flying. I hate to think I have to give up traveling- but when I take a flight( and god forbid like in 6wks ago had to take connecting flights), and oddly enough this happens mainly in months of May, June, july, August, September- I assume high allergy season. Now I was diagnosed after going through all the vestibular testing w/ bppv and etd(eustachian tube dysfunction) and given exercies (VRT)-But- the dizzies- ear pressure- etc doesn't happen till about 3 wks after the flight( so my oto neurologist said- see- it isn't the flight- it would have happened right away- SOMETHING DOESN'T ADD UP HERE- how come it always happens after a flight- and happens during the months I listed above?? I have gone to about 5 drs- maybe more- so now I wonder what to do- I am continuing w/ my VRT exercises faithfully- when I flew I did what they told me- ear planes, sudafed, my allergy pills, nose spray when the plane descends. Now that I am home- I am just trying to get out of this- it can take a few weeks-
Anyone have any ideas for me- I guess when I get this I start clutching at straws- wonder if it is dietary- now I try and eat every few hours to keep my blood sugar level
Hi Redsands

..."Anyone have any ideas for me"....

Here is one:

---if it happens 3 wks(or some variant there of) after every flight---and u know how to do the MEP---think I would---start doing it---after every flight---one & two weeks do it once a day---and if(then) it occurs in the thrid week(the trigger week) twice/three times a day---see what happens

----if u have BPPV occurring in the third(or whatever) week---the MEP should/will show it---and if done often enough---in that week(trigger wk) stop it....

Not sure why it happening the way it is---but---if the MEP stops/controls it......???

U said---u were Dx'd with BPPV & ETD---did the Doc's do the Epley? in addition to the VRT.

See the "sticky" first post on the board for the MEP instructions and the down-loadable "Video" its video # 2

Last edited by Subs30; 07-04-2007 at 02:19 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2007, 05:15 AM   #3
(female)

redsands HB User
Re: Help Flying- Resulting In Bppv

hI SUDS thanks for your reply- about flight and problems- yes when I had a very bad bout 2 yrs ago- he did an eply and it helped. what I am having now isn't as bad as that- I don't have a complete vertigo when I lie down and get up quickly or turn my head to the right lying down. I just feel strange- like a week ago I felt like I was going to be dizzy( I was sitting in a car)- and it passed over- within 5 mins, but I felt shaky, and slightyly nauseated. since then I have just gotten the feeling of kind of a feeling over my ears and a general lousy feeling- slightly nauseous. So- My Dr, is making light of this- since I am not into vertigo and he can't make it come on( w/ eply)- he doesn't have much to offer. I can not accept that- My test didn't show any vestibular problems- so I was lumped into the BPPV and Etd category and given vrt which I do all the exercises faithfully, Is that all there is for me??\
How about dietary measures?

Old 07-05-2007, 06:39 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Subs30 HB UserSubs30 HB User
Re: Help Flying- Resulting In Bppv

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsands View Post
hI SUDS thanks for your reply- about flight and problems- yes when I had a very bad bout 2 yrs ago- he did an eply and it helped. what I am having now isn't as bad as that- I don't have a complete vertigo when I lie down and get up quickly or turn my head to the right lying down. I just feel strange- like a week ago I felt like I was going to be dizzy( I was sitting in a car)- and it passed over- within 5 mins, but I felt shaky, and slightyly nauseated. since then I have just gotten the feeling of kind of a feeling over my ears and a general lousy feeling- slightly nauseous. So- My Dr, is making light of this- since I am not into vertigo and he can't make it come on( w/ eply)- he doesn't have much to offer. I can not accept that- My test didn't show any vestibular problems- so I was lumped into the BPPV and Etd category and given vrt which I do all the exercises faithfully, Is that all there is for me??\
How about dietary measures?
Hi Redsands

...."How about dietary measures?".....

Have not had to do that...so do not follow it---others who post here have...so they will be the one's who will have to comment on that.....

Closed Thread