It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2007, 01:53 PM   #1
(female)

redsands HB User
Sudafed- Claritin

Has anyone gotten any relief w/ these two pills. I guess since I tend to get symptoms that so many of you describe- slight dizziness, funny feeling on top of head, pressure behind ears- I take allergy shots, nasalcort nose spray- but when I get these feelings- neither of the pills help that much( which is what My Otoneuroligist told me too)- but I guess I thought it might do something- feel so helpless- other than my VRT exercises he prescribed- My symptoms are at their height during the summer and early fall and also coinciding w/ an airplane flight. Sometimes it takes 6- 7 wks for it to subside. Anyone get this kind of thing- my Dr. did all the tests- my blood work is fine, my vrt tests too- so now I don't feel so great on those pills anyhow. What do you think?

Old 07-07-2007, 06:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

stargrave HB Userstargrave HB Userstargrave HB User
Re: Sudafed- Claritin

I'm a chronic allergies sufferer, haven't started with the shots because of: 1 money, 2 time, but I'm in an almost perennial state of ear/nose cloggness wich seems to complicate or to be closely related with some of my dizzy bouts.

On a strong one last year I came to the neurotologyst to see what happened and after she took a look, specially after using a little measuring machine, don't know the name but I think it is for measuring ear pressure, wich she plugged into my ears, and then it returnded a graph of sorts, well she said "you have both ears sore", and she prescribed me Claritin-D which essentially is the combination you mentioned.

It gave me great relief from the crisis, but, it's not, at least for me, a permanent solution either.

So the final answer is, yeah it worked for me in a dizzy crisis where ear cloggness and inflamation was present, and this condition was, for the doctor, my main trampering factor for vestibular recovery.

Nevertheless, as I've never been able to control, to an acceptable point my allergies, and taking in account that I can be dizzy without feeling clogged, and viceversa, being clogged but not dizzy, I think there is somehting else in there, bet on MAV, but I'm still not sure.

So, as I doubt that it will end your vestibular woes, if it's the case that your symptoms are worse due to some ear and nose clogging sidafed plus claritin could help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2007, 01:21 PM   #3
(female)

6-paq HB User

Another chronic allergy sufferer here too. My PCP has prescribed Nazonex and Zyrtec for my allergies, but it doesn't really help much either.

I also get short periods of sporadic dizziness with the ear pressure and I have tried regular Sudafed. It does appear to work for me. I don't seem to have any dizziness while on it.

I've found that Claritin hasn't helped me with allergies in the past, so I don't really use it anymore and don't know if it would help keep the dizziness under control.

I'd be interested to hear if it works for you!

Old 07-09-2007, 04:56 AM   #4
(female)

redsands HB User

HI Looks likeMy vrt exercises( do you do them)- and now I take sudafed- just one every day- and my nasonex steroid nose spray seems to be helping- also I think my diet- eating a small meal every 3 hours are so- no wheat- now- I don't know if all or part of the above are working? But- i know I feel pretty lousy when I take zyrtec or claritin( in fact I feel a bit disorinted and out of it when I do How are you doing

Closed Thread