It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2007, 07:13 PM   #1
(male)

manybikes HB Usermanybikes HB User
new bilateral poster

Hi all
I have bilateral vestibular function. According to the rotary chair and caloric tests I have virtually nothing left in either ear.
Started about 3 years ago with the odd bit of dizziness until last June I lost everything. During this slow killing of my inner ears numerous doctors diagnosed everything from depression, anxiety through to "you're just getting old".....uh....I'm 49.
Finally after both sides died they were able to definately state what my problem was. Whether this could have been stopped is anybody's guess.
Cause...unknown.
Anyway, I will stop before I go into a full blown diatribe about my most unpleasant journey.
Is anyone else out there a full bilateral?
I am coping very well, I think, considering my condition.
I walk pretty much like normal and can drive without too much discomfort.
After a year I can take my motorcycle on short rides (only on the good days).
This however is not at all easy.
Oscillopsia is still a problem, does this ever go away? I have heard that it does but it takes 1 to 2 years before it diminishes to a point that is bearable.
Would appreciate hearing from anyone who is also bilateral. Could use some advice, pointers or an address of a place that sells Jack Daniels at half price.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:48 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

stargrave HB Userstargrave HB Userstargrave HB User
Re: new bilateral poster

Oscillopscia is hard even for unilateral sufferers like most of the people in here, I'm over the two year mark and still dealing with that stuff.

And as far as I know a complete bilateral vestibular loss, is mostly related to ototoxicity, mainly due to ototoxic substance like some antibiotics, and it affects both your balance and hearing(do you have hearing problems too?) so I wonder what your doctors said to you about this.

But besides this cause a full bilateral case is somehow rare, you might find some bilateral sufferers to with lost function to some extent, and most of the symptoms are similar.

G luck with your case, as it stands true for all cases, keep it up!, and you'll get better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2007, 04:11 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

adamw HB User

There are lots of causes of total bilateral vestibular dysfunction - if you're at all interested its best to see the folks who research this .. geneticists/neurotologists.. Baloh, Jen etc. at UCLA are very good in this area. They have reported a number of genes associated with total bilateral vestibular loss.

Are there any others in the family tree who have suffered the same issue? Also, if you have migraine, there are a few migraine syndromes that result in bilateral vestibular dysfunction.

Last edited by adamw; 07-08-2007 at 04:12 AM.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:33 AM   #4
(male)

manybikes HB Usermanybikes HB User

Thanks for the replys.

I have read that they are getting closer to finding a possible cure through gene therapy.
This may be a few years down the road but I will keep the faith.
It is a very difficult disease to deal with.
Apparently unilateral can be just as bad as bilateral.
I am currently trying the brainport balance device. It does make a difference in many aspects of balance.
I guess the best thing for oscillopsia is the VRT exercises. I stopped doing them about 6 months ago but have restarted an am determined to beat this.

Closed Thread