It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2007, 02:35 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User
Firechick

Hey FC,

Just wanted to run some stuff by you since you and I have had the same stuff go down: labs and then BPPV, and both having migraine in the picture. Ever since that BPPV attack 2 weeks ago now I have definitely not been the same. I know I shouldn't expect to feel the same so soon but wondered how you felt after your attack? For example, when I first wake in the morning I feel slightly dizzy and eyes are jumping around a fair bit until I've sat up for a bit. My head feels some slight G-force feeling looking down but nothing serious. I sleep on my sides again even though it feels a little weird (and you can't help but be wary that another avalanche will be set off lying on the right). Hard to describe but I definitely feel I'm in a different world post BPPV which is different to any of the other migraine-related relapses I've had over the years. No doubt this is a new state I have to compensate from peppered with increased migraine activity hanging around creating added dizziness during the day.

It just feels like it doesn't want to budge which is a little unsettling when I think how quickly I would crawl out of the previous non BPPV attacks. I suppose I should be doing VRT since doing VRT even in the acute period following a vestibular drama pays off but, on the other hand, I don't see the point either with migraine still messing with me. Clearly migraine and VRT don't mix; migraine has to be removed.

Does any of the above sound like what you went through? Am I up for months of new found dysequilibrium? I sort of hope that I may bounce back more quickly since all my head does these days is re-calibrate balance and must be good at it by now. Gotta love this stuff eh? - NOT.

Cheers...Scott

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2007, 06:21 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

firechick HB User
Re: Firechick

Hey Scott
Sounds like what you are experiencing is fairly similar to me. It actually took me almost 2 months after the first BPPV attack to get a proper diagnosis and then do the MEP, so I often wonder how much damage those crystals did rolling around for so long out of place.
Once I did the MEP I figure it took me about a month before I began to begin to feel more normal. I had many of the same symptoms you describe., feeling like I was seasick, foggy head..my big problem was sleeping, and I know it is pyschological but I can still not sleep on my right side. My husband would come into the room and laugh at me because he said I look like a stiff layed out to rest...all ramrod straight with my head high on three pillows.

I think (hope) that you will begin to see some positive changes very soon, and yes get to work on the VRT. The BPPV can do some damage in there, and your system is already somewhat messed up, so VRT's can help to get you compensated. I had always considered my blips decomp from stress or fatigue, the migrain variant has only just come into my radar (thanks to you!!!) and it makes sense how some people, (Subs??) had one attack and no more, and I have had one major and two lesser attacks...with a migrain past. Had the migrain variant not been there perhaps I would have gone on unscathed?? The more we know the more questions we have.

Hope you start to feel your old sef soon, and believe me, you will get better. Stay positvie and get outside whenever you can and keep moving!

FC

Old 07-10-2007, 06:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi FC,

I've been pretty OK the last two days and, to be honest, think it's more because of the recent increase in SSRI than anything else - ie, killing migraine activity. Whatever it is, I'm just glad I can do some work without too much hassle again.

Yup, in Subs' case, I doubt he'll ever see this again. Definitely no migraine there and was probably a one off. I think Subs took a while because of the eye issues and likely some vestibular damage that went down with the BPPV avalanche.

Best ... Scott

Old 07-11-2007, 05:11 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

firechick HB User

Hey Scott
Glad to hear you are getting some relief.
there is no question that recovering from BPPV is a less bumpy ride than the labs, at least it was for me. Some similar symptoms but not as profound or lasting as long. I think that in my case with a 37% loss of function in my rightear from the labs, healingfrom BPPV may have taken longer than if someone just has the BPPV (just assuming here), a lot of my decomp along the way may have been more due to the labs than the bPPV. A girl I know had BPPV from being hit in the head with a snowball. I showed her the MEP and that was it for her. she has had one or two recurrences but just does the MEP and it's gone! No fuzzy foggy head!
Take care
FC

Old 07-11-2007, 12:03 PM   #5
(female)

curiouscat02 HB User

......feeling like I was seasick, foggy head..my big problem was sleeping, and I know it is pyschological but I can still not sleep on my right side. My husband would come into the room and laugh at me because he said I look like a stiff layed out to rest...all ramrod straight with my head high on three pillows." .....end quote.

FC. YES! This was ME for two months!! a 'stiff' angled up against 4 pillows , folded hands and closed eyes!! (one of those electric beds that raise up at the headboard would be perfect!) My husband just a minute ago sighed miserably when I read him your post. If there is anything he hates, it's pillows on my side of the bed! NOTE: I found that doing the Epley before turning in --for both ears-- gave me the confidence (!) to finally sleep almost flat down on either side!! It seems to be working. at least for now. I also do them in the early a.m. and feel secure enough to do my back stretching exercises like they are supposed to be done on floor with head down on either side. I hope this good luck continues and as I said in the other post, no nasty surprises. I know things will get better for you. As so many others have said, they HAVE TO!

Curious C.

Old 07-11-2007, 03:18 PM   #6
(female)

redsands HB User

DEAR CURIOUS C Wow- I also sleep on my left side- now for a year- am afraid to venture the right- I do My vrt exercises every day- I think they have helped. and today was my best day in 3and a half wks- w/ a relapse after flying. but I do my back exerises too with a few pillows under my head- your confidence will grow, So- how often do you do the epley- I am kind of afraid to do it unless I was having a real bad vertigo attack.kNOW IT IS HARD to believe , but today was the first day in wks that I din't have really bad pressure behind ears and funny feelings in top of my head w/ my etd and bppv- and took no sudafed, and no claritin- and I was outside for 50 mins exercising. Figure that out- maybe because I was so bad the day before( and I didnt go outside that day and did take medication) that I called the neuro-otologist who I have seen about 4 times- so could it be placebo - just knowing I am going to be seen I feel better. How strange- any ideas. I know I don't tolerate meds at all in general- and do recall that he did tell me that sudafed, and claritin wouldn't really help the dizzies- he did an eply at that time- and that did help. I still am doing my nasal steroid spray though.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:16 PM   #7
(female)

curiouscat02 HB User

Hi again Redsands: I just replied to your post "No Pills- Feeling Better Why???? " below. So I won't repeat about the saline spray, etc.

You asked how often I do the Epley. Well, I was the one who dreaded it so much I was afraid to do it for the first time! Finally got up the courage. But I see you have done it before by yourself. So you are ahead of where I was.

I do it every morning before breakfast on an empty stomach. Then i know whatever the day brings, I am confident that my 'crystals' are in place. Then I do it before bed (also on an empty stomach) because then I can just lie down any way I feel comfy and go off to sleep. The first time I tried sleeping normally, I felt scared and thought, well, I better put my pillows up. But then I realized I had just been hanging my head down in three positions, and what else could happen? If it does happen, let's say a spin begins, so what? I would just count to 30 and go into the next position until a whole Epley is done. No Prob. As someone, some wonderful person on our board said: 'You are stronger than you think!" I now think of the Epley like a gift I give myself...a gift of confidence and security. Twice a day. That's what Balancechicago advised me to do and it has worked well for me. (I have had two dx: BPPV and V.Labs.)

CC.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:58 PM   #8
(female)

redsands HB User

Hi CC Just wondered - how did you get your dx?? Did you have and mri?do asll the vestibular tests( my vt tests came out fine- a year and a half ago- but now he wants an mri- kind of freaking me out.He didn't even want to do or try an eply since what I am experiencing isn't postional now- I dpn't know- maybe he will if the mri is ok.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:09 PM   #9
(female)

curiouscat02 HB User

Each of my serious V. 'events' have been positional, triggered by a lowered head position during exercises. The violent effects of the V. got better bit by bit every day. Yet my second ENT dxed my condition as V. Labs. So there is some possibility (others have said so too) that the aftermath of V.Labs is BPPV. So right now that's all I can assume for myself. I am near to 100% right now.BUT if I have any other symptoms I will get an MRI and more vestibular tests. If even one strange or different thing happens, I am off to a really good neurotologist.

As far as the MRI goes, I had one on my back. It wasn't so bad. Nothing
touches you. There was a semicircular hard cover moved over me. You will probably have to lie still, which makes sense ..something like an X-ray.
You are given earplugs and I asked for something over my eyes (so I wouldn't get cross-eyed looking so closely at the inside of the cover - . Might be good to take one of those airplane eyecovers with elastic around the back) Then I took a nap-- telling myself that the loud banging noise was just an electric drill outside my window! (I'm real good at denial.....in this case, worked well).
I'm with you....it's best to know whatever there is to know. Knowledge is POWER. You'll get through it! Promise yourself a TREAT afterwards! (mine is usually chocolate)

Old 07-13-2007, 08:49 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hey FC,

Would you believe it? I am now into one of the worst cold's I've ever had. I can't believe my luck lately. I must be a magnet for this stuff ... maybe there's a giant target on my back nobody is telling me about . Because I am only really just recovering from that BPPV nightmare everything feels really fragile still. Colds usually do me in AFTER the event but not this time. The vestibualr system is getting whacked with the cold. I wonder what sort of evidence there is out there for viruses revving up vestibular migraine? It would make sense in this case. My head is pounding with the sinuses being filled with crap. Last night I woke with a really severe panic attack, easily the worst in over 3 years - and out of the blue. And then it stopped after 20 min, I chilled out and fell asleep. As Subs would say, "What a piece of work this is!"

Hope your're feeling good. BTW, how do colds effect you these days?

Best ... Scott

Old 07-14-2007, 02:31 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

firechick HB User

Scott
It's like "just hit me while I'm down!", what a drag. so sorry you are feeling like crap.
I had only one cold this past winter, and when I do get a cold they knock me for a loop for sure, and yes it always seems worse after. My big new complaint since BPPV (didn't get it after labs) is when coughing hard or blowing my nose I get so lightheaded I have actually fallen down. I have to brace myself because I will have a quick whirl of virtigo. I also notice a dramatic increase in my kneeling to standing headrush activity too...my blood pressure is so low my doctor tells me to eat more salt! May not have anything to do with my inner ear thing, but it started right after my bppv attack so who knows.
I think your immune system is low because of the recent trauma, your body is telling you to take some time now. I know with you I would be preaching to the choir, but your mental state is half the battle here.
I hate getting colds so much for the reasons you are feeling right now that I will do everything I can to avoid it. Once people around me are sick I start taking North American Ginseng (the main ingredient in ColdFX, now proudly sponsored by the NHL) and I get as much sleep as I can find. Staying healthy becomes my mantra. I do a little of the secret "I am healthy, I am fit and strong" over and over and over...so far so good.
Hope this one passes quickly for you, get some rest this weekend and drink tons of water.
FC

Closed Thread