It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2007, 05:01 AM   #1
(female)

Anaty HB User
Driving?

First of English is not my first languish so I apologize in advance for any grammar or spell. mistakes.
I have posted here in the past but the short version is: probably viral labyrinthitis in one ear with sensoneural hearing loss (minimal).
Now after 10 months, I am way way way better. Not 100% but I would say around 90% most days. Shopping, working, meetings and the likes are much better almost 100%. The only outstanding issue I have is with driving. While going by car now, if I am not driving, I am a 100% as appose to the nightmare in the beginning.
In the last few weeks I have started driving over the weekend. In and also out of town. The first time was odd but OK and since then I had better and worse times. However, last Friday I drove about 25km. I was fine for the most part but a few minutes from home I had a spell of, how can I explain it?, as if I was drunk, you know? Half dreaming. It went away immediately when I pulled over a few minutes later but I got so discharged.
Anyone went through the same thing? Is it normal?
Is it like with everything else? You have to keep doing it to get better?

Thank you
Anaty

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2007, 12:43 PM   #2
(female)

baybee317 HB User
Re: Driving?

Well its definetly not normal but it does happen. My spell happened 9 months ago when i was driving home from school and i had a panic attack and started freaking out because of the "spell" or "feeling" i was having. I havent drove since then because i dont feel like i can. I was diagnosed with vertigo so i dont know what else i can do. I even feel bad when im the passenger in the car.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2007, 03:49 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

missy7777 HB Usermissy7777 HB Usermissy7777 HB User
Re: Driving?

Since it stopped immediately when you pulled over, it sounds like a textbook "panic attack". I used to get those ALL THE TIME when driving. There is something about driving that definitely freaks people out who have tendencies towards anxiety and panic attacks. I got over my fear little by little. I still get panicked sometimes, but I just tell myself I can pull over at any time, don't worry, etc...

For years I would only drive on the right side of the road so I could pull over easily. Now I don't need to, but sometimes if I am feeling ill I tend to get that panic creeping back up during alot of traffic, etc.

Closed Thread