It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2007, 02:46 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

alexiwildchild HB User
tips to help concentration at work....anybody???

well, i started back work-very minimal hours on wednesday and am about to go in tonight for 4 hours...after being out for a month with vertigo and 2 allergic reactions to penicillin that landed me in the ER 3 times. anyway, i'm still dizzy and weak from everything.

i would like to know how everyone copes with going back to work, and if there are any tips on how to not feel like you are in the "bubble". it's like i've lost brain power and can't concentrate as much. i work as a salon receptionist, so i deal with people constantly, phones ringing, computers, and running around chasing the stylists, etc. it just seems almost impossible to feel normal there, and it's almost like i am dreaming....and am extremely exhausted after working!

OHHHH, and one more question....anyone else here have problems with cryptic tonsils? just trying to make a connection maybe, if that is a cause of all this???

please help, anyone who can give me some more advice
thanks!
alexi wildchild

Last edited by alexiwildchild; 07-13-2007 at 02:50 PM.

Old 07-13-2007, 04:30 PM   #2
(male)

montana HB User
Re: tips to help concentration at work....anybody???

Get lots of sleep everyday. Thats what helps me through the first part of my day. I get pretty tired after lunch no matter what.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2007, 06:29 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Joni9921 HB UserJoni9921 HB User

I work in a very stimulating environment and what I do sometimes is just go into a dark quiet room and take a few minutes without any stimulation. This quiets down my symptoms.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:57 PM   #4
(male)

manybikes HB Usermanybikes HB User

It is tough getting back into the work routine. I used to have a job where I sat at a desk for most of the day. This spring I intentionally took a job selling motorcycles where I had to be on my feet for 9 hours a day on average.
I was scared ******** as I didn't I had a hope of surviving.
The first two weeks were tough. I found that after a month I was able to stand and talk to people without being terrified of falling over.
It is not easy, I have days where I come home totally exhausted but I know I have to do this so I can get back to leading a normal life.
Eat right, get a good 8 hours sleep and do as much as you can stand to do.
Take as many breaks as you can during the day and find a place that is quiet where you can relax uninterrupted.
Make sure your employer knows your problem. If you have a good boss he/she sould be willing to work with you and help you.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:36 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User

Hi,

Here's what I would do:

1) Establish a routine of sleeping and waking and stick to it - eg, in bed at 10.30 then up at 7 am.

2) As mentioned above, set aside some times where you can go and sit quietly (bathroom) and practise shutting your mind down for 10-15 min if possible. The relaxation should help calm any vestibular stir.

3) Use the occasional valium - 2.5 mg does the job - as it calms down the vestibular system and you in general. If you take valium with two day breaks in between there's no addiction issue to worry about. Valium is almost a silver bullet for me. In time you won't need it.

Best ... Scott

Last edited by studyin; 07-14-2007 at 05:35 AM.

Old 07-14-2007, 05:21 AM   #6
(female)

cathybe HB User

Hi,
I agree with everyone else on here, In 7 months I have yet to do a full week at work as I keep having regular vertigo attacks. I gave all my work collegues as much information as I could find so they could all read about my condition and all the symptoms that go with it.
They have all been very supportive and when I start to feel strange I go off and sit quietly usually the loo, you do need plenty of sleep, after 3 in the afternoon I can hardly keep my eyes open so I go outside for some fresh air.
Its tough I know how you are feeling.

Cathybe

Old 07-14-2007, 06:04 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sheriff56 HB User

I work full time, routine helps and also the busy enviroment thing is a nightmare for me at time, I take breaks and changes of scenery, I'll volunteer to make a drink giving me a break from the office through the works to the kitchen make the drinks and back again. I take walks around the trading estate, just short ones, but it helps to switch off for a minute or two.
It's tough but you will gt there.
Jayne

Closed Thread