It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2007, 08:21 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Subs30 HB UserSubs30 HB User
Talking Sensory Integration & VRT's--Critical

Do them---they are critical to having this junk---be a Rear View Mirrow Event!

From the Northwestern Univ (Dr Hain) web site---the one in the "Sticky"

...."Sensory integration is the process of taking in information from the environment through various sensory systems (touch, smell, sight, movement, sound and the pull of gravity on the body). Information is processed through the brain. The brain then interprets, organizes and directs the body to respond appropriately to that sensory information. Sensory experiences happen continually and as they do, your child continues to learn and respond to his environment in more complex ways.

If you watch a small baby play, you may be able to get a better sense of what sensory integration is. A baby's primary learning senses include vision, skin (tactile), movement and gravity (vestibular), and muscles, joints and ligaments (proprioception). As a child lies on his belly, his mother may place a musical ball in front of him. Following initial movement and sound, the child may try to lift his head to view the object. Initially, this will be difficult due to the pull of gravity, pushing his head back to the floor. Normal curiosity and "inner drive" will engage the child to continue to work on raising his head (vestibular). His arms and legs will also move (proprioception) in an effort to help keep his head up in order to view the toy. His brain is organizing and sequencing all the sensory information received with each movement of arms, legs, and head. His muscles are responding in a way to help him achieve his goal of looking up to see the toy. With each "adaptive response," he continues to refine his skills. As he achieves a certain level of success, he continues to "up the ante" and eventually he will be able to reach forward, touch the ball, make it move and pull it towards him to play. This child's sensory system is organizing information in order to allow him to learn and successfully master his environment. When basic senses are integrated, the child continues to learn and grow from sensory information. Through movement and experiences, he learns how to move against the pull of gravity and feel comfortable with his body awareness in space. He begins to develop a mental picture of where his body parts are and how they are related to him.

If you watch a small child learn a new task, initially a great deal of concentration and effort are noted. The task appears clumsy but as he continues to "practice", his skills become more proficient and not only has he mastered the task but will continue to make it more challenging. This is sensory integration."......

After (most) vestibular injuries---ur brain---must reestablish---most if not all---of it's sensory integration calculations---(perhaps not all depending on the person/injury/deficit--left behind by the vestibular injury)---from "Scratch"---it takes time---just like---the "Baby"......literally

Last edited by Subs30; 07-16-2007 at 09:50 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2007, 08:38 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Jaxzilla HB User
Re: Sensory Integration & VRT's--Critical

Great info Subs, Ive been doing my VRTs since 3 months into this and now im in my 16th month. I believe VRTs are a HUGE part of recovery!! You're a prime example of it!!! I also wanted to say thanks for helping me through my last blip, it was a doozie alright. Now, I feel great, small blips here and there, and actually feel alot better from May...Ive been doing alot of shopping in malls, grocery stores and hardly notice a thing. Thanks for your support!

Cathy

Old 07-16-2007, 09:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

gloria2936 HB User
Re: Sensory Integration & VRT's--Critical

I don't ever remember feeling this badly as a baby (lol)

Hope you are enjoying your summer Subs.

Gloria

Old 07-16-2007, 09:55 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Subs30 HB UserSubs30 HB User
Talking Re: Sensory Integration & VRT's--Critical

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloria2936 View Post
I don't ever remember feeling this badly as a baby (lol)

Hope you are enjoying your summer Subs.

Gloria
Me neither!!(LoL).

---summer is going great----still at 100%---just did a couple of MEP's---nothing---five years this month(knock on wood)!

Tks for asking---hope ur feeling better.

Closed Thread