It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2007, 11:48 AM   #1
(female)

amlp HB User
Scott ??? Tripiline

Hi Scott, sorry another Q for you or anyone who can help. I went to my Doc today to get tabs for the very bad neck and back ache i have been getting. He prescribed Trepiline. I am on Cipralex which he also prescribed. He said i can take both, but I'm a bit worried. Scott if i remember correctly i'm sure you said you took Ami and had bad side effects. When i did question my doc and taking both he said the dose of Trepiline is very low. What do you think ?

Old 07-18-2007, 10:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User
Re: Scott ??? Tripiline

Hi amlp,

I am at a loss as to why he would prescribe and SSRI and a tricyclic together! Trepiline is actually amitriptyline and the two drugs should not be used concurrently:

From the MIMS database accessed by all doctors in Australia:

SSRIs - The serotonin syndrome (alterations in cognition, behaviour, autonomic nervous system function and neuromuscular activity) has been reported with amitriptyline when given concomitantly with other serotonin enhancing medicines including SSRIs.

and from another source: Addition of SSRI to tricyclic (such as amytriptyline) raises the tricyclic drug level by 400% and can cause serious complications.

Both Prof Halmagyi and a neurologist at Prince of Wales hospital told me I should dump the SSRI first, have a 4 week wash out period with no drugs and then trial the tricyclic.

I'd ask your doc what he's been smoking lately!

Cheers ... Scott

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2007, 02:19 AM   #3
(female)

amlp HB User
Re: Scott ??? Tripiline

Hi Scott. my thoughts exactly. i honestly cannot understand these GP's. I have so little faith left. He claims Ami in small doses can be used for pain. But really i just don't know. Don't think i will risk it.

Once again, many thanks for all your help.

regards

Ashley

Closed Thread