It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2007, 07:26 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Joni9921 HB UserJoni9921 HB User
Question 6 weeks into VRTs and...

So I had decided to give the VRTs a shot again, seeing how well many of you have done. And because I'm a PT it seems hypocritical not to do the rehab. I had done two other bouts of it and had stopped before for two reasons. One is that I couldn't focus my eyes long enough to properly do the VOR exercise and two, that doing the rehab I progressed with the exercises and with my movement related dizzies, but it had no effect on the constant dizziness.

I am going to continue doing these, I have commited for at least a few months. BUT, again I am getting better at the exercises, but the constant 24/7 dizziness is completely unchanged. Now, its not much worse, it is a bit, but pretty insignificant, some nausea is back, but again, not frequent or severe enough to be a big deal.

I feel like nothing has ever changed the constant dizziness. It comes and goes as it pleases and I guess it has forgotten the go part. It was constant MArch '06 (when the VN started) till summer'06. Was on and off till October or November '06. And has been constant since then. I have some fluctuations, I feel worse when I work out, after being in the car, after treating patients, but I recover pretty quickly.

I see so many of you responding so well to the rehab exercises and I just feel stuck. I'm seeing a new dizzy doc in a week and a half so I'm interested in seeing what he has to say. I've thought about MAV, but I don't know.

Any advice?????? I'm at a place emotionally where I'm being positive again and fighting, but I really am desparate to get better. I feel like my career is on hold, my family is on hold, everything is on hold.

Joni

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2007, 08:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

charlotte67 HB User
Re: 6 weeks into VRTs and...

Joni...i think re-evaluating is something I do often. It is easy to get down when things are not changing...and this illness is slow even when you do see positive signs.

I really started feeling a change when I did Balance in Chicago's exercises. Honestly, maybe she could talk with you about what you could do to improve. I am still having eye problems...but I believe they will settle down if I keep going.

Honestly, you are doing great. I know what you mean about things being on hold.

All the best.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:38 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

tummy2 HB User

joni...

Do you feel better at nights?
When it was on and off, did you have good periods and how long were they... What changed?

Old 07-19-2007, 12:07 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummy2 View Post
joni...

Do you feel better at nights?
When it was on and off, did you have good periods and how long were they... What changed?
Yeah, I am better at nights. Last summer I remember feeling almost normal a lot of it. I wasn't working for about 6 weeks of it because I had just moved. I know its good to get back to things, but I think my job is way too stimulating, although my where I'm working now is pretty slow. My friend came to visit for a NYC trip (I live in NJ) and after that weekend my symtoms came back. I figured I had just overdone it, I think that lasted 6 weeks. I think I had a good period again sept and part of october. It seemed random one day when the constant started again. I was terrible november and december with nausea all day every day. Started homeopathy in january and felt much much better in a week. It kept improving for a month or so. I even felt 90% for a couple of weeks, but then that passed. I don't think anything specific caused that, leading to march through now, which has been pretty consistently sucky.

Joni

Old 07-19-2007, 04:41 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Subs30 HB UserSubs30 HB User
Talking Re: 6 weeks into VRTs and...

Hi Joni

Did u ever get to the Neuro-Ophthalmologist? Think u were scheduled to see one....

It could very well be that ur "constant dizziness"---that is with u always---could be a broader/deeper vision issue...i.e., "but it had no effect on the constant dizziness"

U say that u ........."couldn't focus my eyes long enough to properly do the VOR exercise"....

When ur eyes fix on something---they still jump imperceptibly in ways that essential for seeing---the large voluntary eye movements, called "saccades" are just a small part of the daily workout your eye muscles get---your eyes never stop moving, even when they are apparently settled---when the eyes fixate on something, as they do for 80% of the ur waking hours, they still jump and jiggle imperceptibly in ways that turn out to be essential for seeing.

If u could somehow halt these miniature motions(there are three--microsaccades, drift, and tremor) while fixing your gaze---a static scene would simply fade from view---the largest is Microsccades---together---they engender visibility when ur gaze is fixed....

Guess---that there is a lot going on---with vision---one of the reason---it is the long pole in the tent---for most---perhaps continue the VRT's(including the VOR's even if u can not do the perfectly)---have ur eyes checked by a Neuro-Ophthalmologist---and/but continue on....

It took me many months after the Univ of Penn---found the vision prob---that was holding me from 100%.....

Last edited by Subs30; 07-19-2007 at 06:07 PM.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:40 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Thanks Subs. I am continuing with the VRTs. I even went Israeli Dancing last night which involves dancing in circles and spinning in circles for 2 hours straight! I was a mess last night and am feeling worse for it today, but its something I love and haven't done in almost a year now so I decided to do it anyway. I had a blast.

I am having an assessmnet for vision therapy on Tuesday and starting the Tuesday after that. It got put off a week because she cancelled my appt last monday. I also have an appointment at the Princeton and Rutgers Dizzy Center july 30.

I hate all this waiting. I see so many people getting better and I feel like I haven't really had any improvements, just improvements from times I got worse, since last summer.

I had looked into UPenn a while ago. They wouldn't see you without doing the whole battery of tests, most of which I had already had, so I didn't pursue it any further.

Joni

Old 07-20-2007, 01:52 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Subs30 HB UserSubs30 HB User
Talking Re: 6 weeks into VRTs and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoniMichelle View Post
Thanks Subs. I am continuing with the VRTs. I even went Israeli Dancing last night which involves dancing in circles and spinning in circles for 2 hours straight! I was a mess last night and am feeling worse for it today, but its something I love and haven't done in almost a year now so I decided to do it anyway. I had a blast.

I am having an assessmnet for vision therapy on Tuesday and starting the Tuesday after that. It got put off a week because she cancelled my appt last monday. I also have an appointment at the Princeton and Rutgers Dizzy Center july 30.

I hate all this waiting. I see so many people getting better and I feel like I haven't really had any improvements, just improvements from times I got worse, since last summer.

I had looked into UPenn a while ago. They wouldn't see you without doing the whole battery of tests, most of which I had already had, so I didn't pursue it any further.

Joni
Hi Joni

...."continuing with the VRTs & having an assessment for vision therapy & also have an appointment at the Princeton and Rutgers Dizzy Center"....

Great!!!!! Hope u get some answers/results...

...."looked into UPenn a while ago. They wouldn't see you without doing the whole battery of tests, most of which I had already had, so I didn't pursue it any further"....

Yep---same for me....

---but---knew they would want their own data their way---kind of their "Baseline" from their "Data"

---can't say I disagreed with them---there is so many ways to cut/slice/get it wrong----wanted their conclusions/Dx which they stand behind---based on their tests/data...

So did them all again---and them some....

Closed Thread