It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2007, 11:07 PM   #1
(female)

sabatinis26 HB User
Questions about an ENG

Okay lets me see I have been in the doctors office since April 4 times to finally to be seen by an ENT. Before that appointment I went to the eye doctor. Every thing came out fine only a small case of dry eye. But still had vertigo. Went to the ENT to right off the bat he told me I have a mis-aligned jaw. He also couldn't explain the vertigo. The vertigo feeling is just not dizziness, its grogginess, spacey and lightheaded. I've also had on and off headaches behind my head. Well he got me to take a ENG. Went in today and they did the warm and cold test. The first was cold in my left ear and I felt pretty dizzy and then came the right ear. Both felt the same medium sense of dizziness. Then came my right ear with warm water. Nothing. No dizziness. Then to my left, OMG it was extreme dizziness. So she thought maybe she had a bad reading and did it again. Once again nothing. What could this mean and what could I have? It's really stressing me out. So if anyone could help I'd be very appreciative. Thanks

Old 07-21-2007, 11:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

joy78 HB User
Re: Questions about an ENG

ENG tests are done to measure the response of your vestibular system. When they use the hot/cold water test (called caloric testing), they are trying to get a response from your vestibular system. it should make you dizzy. I'm no expert in this but I think if you didn't feel anything in your Right Ear then you have a decreased response there. Usually they give you a percentage. I have a 35% reduction in response in my right inner ear. This decreased response causes your brain to get mixed or bad signals about your balance which is why you feel dizzy or off balance. So your brain needs to realize this and compensate for the bad signals. Then you feel better. it takes time though. It's a long process to get back to normal, but it happens. Call your ENT and have them explain the test to you. You should get your results soon. Don't panic, it's going to be okay regardless of what the results are. your body and brain have a huge ability to compensate for these problems

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2007, 07:31 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Jaxzilla HB User

Sabatinis, sorry you have to got this head monster. Once your doc receives the results he should explain them to you. Hopefully he will send you to vestibular therapy to help retrain the brain. Keeping yourself busy is very important to overcome this. There's a thread on here called CharoletteVRTS started by sheriff, there are a bunch of exercises to do that was given by a therapist on chicago. These exercises are great. Once you start them they will induce dizziness but thats what they are suppose to do. Thats part of retraining the brain. Ill bump the thread up for you. Take a look at them.

Good luck!
Cathy

Old 07-22-2007, 08:38 AM   #4
(female)

sabatinis26 HB User

I can't thank you guys enough!! Thank you guys I have been posting this everywhere and no seemed to reply until I finally place in heath boards and in inner ear disorders. I had been stressed out for days thinking could this be a tumor or something. But you two have eased my mind and I greatly appreciate it thanks. Michelle

Closed Thread