It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2007, 12:41 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

comeandrelax HB User
Other threads

i was looking at something that is saying that people with damage to the inner ear will probably always have dizziness for the rest of their lives.

to me this is very misleading. yes the virus causes nerve damage but the brain learns to adapt in a process called compensation. i don't know why that kinda made me alittle angry.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-27-2007 at 01:35 PM. Reason: no discussion of or naming of other forums

Old 07-27-2007, 07:32 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Subs30 HB UserSubs30 HB User
Talking Re: Other threads

Hi

..."yes the virus causes nerve damage but the brain learns to adapt in a process called compensation"....

True!

Except when the nerve defect caused by the injury---is to large---for the Brain to overcome it---through the compensation process---then surgical/medicine is tried---hopefully that will work.....but has "Risks" if that fails---for now ur.............

Never make the "Enemy" bigger then it is---but---never make it smaller---either---have hope---but make sure it is "grounded" in reallity....

The reason the "Sticky" exists.....So u can decide for ur self---what's possible/what ur up against---minimize the false starts---etc.....

Nothing wrong with being---angry---welcome to the "club"

Last edited by mod-anon; 07-27-2007 at 10:04 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2007, 12:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

comeandrelax HB User
Re: Other threads

what about the people who have 100% vestibular loss that get back to normal? what do people mean by the deficit being too large? there is just too much back and forth. i realize nobody on these boards are doctors but then why make claims like that. this whole condition is just hard enough without being confusing.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:02 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

tummy2 HB User

Well, maybe it was misinterpreted.... I believe people with vestibular damage are prone to recurrent bouts of it, as well as a sensitivity to dizzy things. That doesn't mean you wont get to 100%, but you may haveblips here and there or you may get dizzy everytime you get a cold... etc etc.../

Old 07-27-2007, 05:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

joy78 HB User

So my understanding (which is limited) is that if you have complete 100% vestibular loss, you can't be dizzy because you have no messages going to your brain at all. It's when it's partial that messages are mixed up and you feel dizzy/have vertigo

Old 07-27-2007, 07:44 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

tummy2 HB User

Depends... 100% loss in one ear? You can still be easy I think.. Your vestibular system is Skin, Eyes, inner ear.

Old 07-28-2007, 07:09 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Subs30 HB UserSubs30 HB User
Talking Re: Other threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeandrelax View Post
what about the people who have 100% vestibular loss that get back to normal? what do people mean by the deficit being too large? there is just too much back and forth. i realize nobody on these boards are doctors but then why make claims like that. this whole condition is just hard enough without being confusing.
Hi

Look this is an unsettled area---the best info is in the "Sticky" most/if not all of your questions/concerns can be found there---and amplified by those who have had it if desired and ....the research centers and medical personnel---who deal with it.

As for the 100%---there are and always will be exceptions(some unexplained)---hopefully giving a clue(to the medical types) of research areas/clinical treatments---to the professional disciplines who have chosen to deal with this medical area....

It is confusing and there is a back and forth(because it is an medically unsettled area)

----sure its hard(enough) but--- there is no planned effort to confuse---on anyone part that posts here(that I can remember)...

Were all doing the best we can to sort this out---so sure---continue to ask, don't accept anything as gospel unless it makes sense to you....

---but try and keep in mind---that none of us---who post here---set out---to--- "break the code" in this medical area---and all of us wish we---never heard or had to deal with this junk---but that's not the hand that was dealt......

Old 07-29-2007, 01:43 PM   #8
(female)

noodles3 HB User

My personal experience is that I have lost the nerve completely and have a LESS than 100 percent recovery. I was told the brain would compensate and I am thankful for the recovery I have which is very, very good. Do I still get a strange dizzy sensation now and then? Yes. I'm not counting on it going away completely but I sure would love to feel totally "cured". I'm sure everyone is different.

Closed Thread