It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2008, 01:57 AM   #31
(male)

KSM79 HB User
Re: PET Patulous eustachian tube - Started new therapy it's working

hi petear,
Isn't Alloderm , skin taken from your own body? Or is it some artificial material.
Just curious. And will they inject it through your nose or your mouth?
-KSM

Old 04-25-2008, 02:40 PM   #32
(female)

AlyseL HB User

Have any of you tried PatulEnd or know of someone who has? If so, does it work? How effective is it and is it worth it? Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2008, 01:01 AM   #33
(female)

petear HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM79 View Post
hi petear,
Isn't Alloderm , skin taken from your own body? Or is it some artificial material.
Just curious. And will they inject it through your nose or your mouth?
-KSM
it's made from doner skin cells so not my skin and it's not artificial, it's dried or something and when grafted the blood vessels expand and join with mine to become new skin, if you look it up it will explain it better, apparently it's more succesful than using your own skin as your own skin requires more than one stage of surgery or something like that... sounds promising though...

They will go through my nose with a mini camera so I expect my nose will be a bit sore after, I will let you know anyway...

Old 04-26-2008, 01:04 AM   #34
(female)

petear HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyseL View Post
Have any of you tried PatulEnd or know of someone who has? If so, does it work? How effective is it and is it worth it? Thank you!
Yes I have, the first time it worked well but after not so well and it stings like buggery... I was also a bit concerned as to whether the ingredients may in the long term cause more problems by the way it burns so much...

Old 04-29-2008, 11:46 PM   #35
(male)

KSM79 HB User

Hi PetEar..Have u had your surgery? We are all dying to hear about the results. Please do so when you get a chance.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

-KSM

Old 04-30-2008, 04:32 PM   #36
(female)

petear HB User

Hi

I'm back home, it's too soon to tell if it's been a success.

So far my ear isn't blocked which I thought might happen but the alloderm graft takes a few weeks to integrate properly so it may block up a bit later, the surgery was done through my nose so my nostrils and sinuses are sore and swollen and my throat is a bit sore but that's all the pain... Dr Atlas has done the same surgery as Dr Poe just using alloderm instead of cartlidge and I don't have a grommet (tube) in my ear as he said Dr Poe only uses them for patients who have to fly home.... So I just need to heal a bit and get back to normal life and then I will know if it's worked.. But I do feel a lot better than I thought I would after surgery...Dr Atlas also said it was a very difficult surgery so I can see why a lot of ENT's may avoid it, hence finding a great Dr is the answer.

I will give you guys weekly updates

Old 04-30-2008, 11:52 PM   #37
(male)

KSM79 HB User

Hi PetEar..Glad that you're feeling better. I just wanted to know if Dr.Atlas injected Collagen also in your ET's.
How is your surgery different than injecting fat or Collagen into your ET's?
I am planning on getting the fat injected into my ET's..just wanted to ask you if you spoke to Dr.Atlas regarding that.
Please let me know if you have any information.
Thanks
KSM

Old 05-01-2008, 04:28 AM   #38
(female)

petear HB User

No he didn't inject fat or collegen, I was going to get fat injected a few years ago and decided against it, the reason is that fat will eventually be absorbed by the body and you will be back at square one, with the alloderm graft, alloderm is like doner skin so it will eventually graft to your own skin and become permanent, also if you get a substance injected into your et tube your blocking it up, whereas a graft isn't blocking it up, it is possible the graft will grow to block the tube it's a risk, but it's not injected in a way to block it from the start if you get what I mean... Look up alloderm..

Hope I made sense..

Old 05-01-2008, 10:05 AM   #39
(male)

KSM79 HB User

Hmm..yeah it does make sense. i am sure it was an expensive surgery. I want to ask you how much it cost you but you cannot give out that information on here. But I know how much Dr.Poe costs..i am guessing you do as well? So is it Dr.Atlas as expensive as Poe?
I hope you recover completely and the PET is gone.
Keep us posted

Old 05-02-2008, 12:08 AM   #40
(female)

petear HB User

I have private health insurance so most of it was covered, the gap to pay is a couple of grand. In australia we also have medicare which covers some medical expenses, I'm not sure how it works in the states...

Old 05-07-2008, 12:43 AM   #41
(male)

KSM79 HB User

hi petear..just wanted to touch base with you as to how you were feeling. give us some good news.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:22 PM   #42
(female)

petear HB User

Well for six days after surgery I was still getting pet symptoms, then the next 3 days where pet free, then I visited the Dr today for a post op check up he sprayed local anaesetic up my nose and put a camera up to have a look, all looked fine, but as I was leaving I had pet symptoms which cleared up quickly and I thought maybe it was from the spray etc....

So it seems a little better but I would still not like to commit to it working as yet as I often have respite periods with pet and this could be one of them, if I'm pet free for six months or more than I would say success...

If it doesn't work I'm giving up the fight and going to accept it, sometimes fighting it is the most exhausting thing, I may have to get counceling or something but we will see...

Still staying positive and hope the relief stays.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:03 AM   #43
(male)

KSM79 HB User

Hi Petear...Just checking up on u..How r u feeling now?

Old 05-15-2008, 06:17 PM   #44
(female)

petear HB User

At the moment I have the flu so feel yucky and no PET but that could be the flu....

Old 05-29-2008, 08:13 PM   #45
(female)

petear HB User

Feeling better, still no PET, only had one episode when I had been excercising for an hour or so...

Cross fingers

Closed Thread