It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2007, 08:21 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

alexiwildchild HB User
Unhappy Confused....Please HELP

ok...so i am a little confused about my situation. i'm going on my 7th week of having this dizziness or labrynthitis or meniere's---still no dr. gives me a specific answer. it seems like the dizziness (spinning) sensation is gone-along with the nausea, and now i feel like there is just something wrong with my vision.

it's mostly like a ripple in my vision. like especially when i look out of the corner of my eye or look at things far away. it's like there is a small wave like in the ocean disrupting my view. then again there is the obnoxious black floater in my right eye that is seeming to be more constant lately. if i am standing up, it seems like the "ripple" kind of makes me feel like i will fall backwards, but not every time. i don't know what this is or what condition i have. as some of you may have read my other thread, the neuroto thought i may have meniere's, but wasn't sure....whatever. my regular dr thought it was labrynthitis, but he hadn't done any tests on me.

that's another subject, i was not impressed by the neurotologist i saw with his lack of opinion. i felt like he wasn't listening to any of my symptoms and didn't do any real tests on me. another guy that worked there did the test with my head hanging off the table, but no ENG or caloric tests...if i even need them???? i am frustrated and don't know if i should go back on the 7th for the "follow up" visit. someone help please?!?! i am so confused and feel like there is no one with an answer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2007, 12:51 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Joni9921 HB UserJoni9921 HB User
Re: Confused....Please HELP

Sounds like you're progressing VERY well! The vision problems are usually the last to go.

Old 08-01-2007, 05:08 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

alexiwildchild HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoniMichelle View Post
Sounds like you're progressing VERY well! The vision problems are usually the last to go.
that's encouraging, thanks however, since last night it seems like i have been really off balance and today was really a bad day-didn't even go to work. was exhausted and slept almost all day. it wasn't so much dizziness but the vision problems/ripples were really getting to me and i feel like my head is completely full of pressure and headache all day long. is this another set back, or is this a normal part of recovering. i see that a lot of people have good days mixed in with the bad. i was just hoping to not have to deal with the bad ones again!!!! arghHH!H!!! this is sooo frustrating!

do you think i should go back to the crazy neuroto? i feel like he's just going to want to do that $450 c/t scan of my inner ear that he said...after he thought i have meniere's disease...which i DON"T think so.

please let me know what you think

Old 08-01-2007, 07:27 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiwildchild View Post
that's encouraging, thanks however, since last night it seems like i have been really off balance and today was really a bad day-didn't even go to work. was exhausted and slept almost all day. it wasn't so much dizziness but the vision problems/ripples were really getting to me and i feel like my head is completely full of pressure and headache all day long. is this another set back, or is this a normal part of recovering. i see that a lot of people have good days mixed in with the bad. i was just hoping to not have to deal with the bad ones again!!!! arghHH!H!!! this is sooo frustrating!

do you think i should go back to the crazy neuroto? i feel like he's just going to want to do that $450 c/t scan of my inner ear that he said...after he thought i have meniere's disease...which i DON"T think so.

please let me know what you think
I really think you're doing great. The fact that you weren't dizzier but having those other symptoms sounds to me like you're brain is working hard to compensate and figure it all out. Its definitely not a straight road with this thing. There will always be good days and bad days, for me its good weeks/months and bad weeks/months, but its a process. Sometimes we have to push harder and symptoms increase, to get to the next level. Kind of like with weight lifting- we have to tear the muscle to let if repair stronger.

Just think about how much better you are now! Are you doing vestibular rehab? It doesn't sound like you need to visit the doc again at this point. You seem to have a good handle on it, but what do you think?

Joni

Old 08-01-2007, 07:44 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

alexiwildchild HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoniMichelle View Post
I really think you're doing great. The fact that you weren't dizzier but having those other symptoms sounds to me like you're brain is working hard to compensate and figure it all out. Its definitely not a straight road with this thing. There will always be good days and bad days, for me its good weeks/months and bad weeks/months, but its a process. Sometimes we have to push harder and symptoms increase, to get to the next level. Kind of like with weight lifting- we have to tear the muscle to let if repair stronger.

Just think about how much better you are now! Are you doing vestibular rehab? It doesn't sound like you need to visit the doc again at this point. You seem to have a good handle on it, but what do you think?

Joni

Joni,
Thank you so much for that! It's just that since I haven't got a clear answer of what the problem is, I'm not sure if I'm improving or what. I definitely am better than at the beginning, i feel like. It still feels like there is so much pressure in my ears and all the popping/crackling...that's what makes me want to go back to the dr beside the fact that he didn't give me an answer--that was really frustrating. at least i know that i am not alone, and that i am not crazy (although i feel like i am going that way sometimes!)

i haven't really been doing any vestibular rehab. he gave me two papers with exercises, but i've been stubborn and haven't really done them. i kinda felt like since i'm up and about that is kinda the same thing lol. i guess i should make that effort too if it is really helpful with getting my brain to be normal again. This mess is so hard!!! I called my other ENT today to ask about Ativan, but he won't be able to call me back til tomorrow. i don't know if that will help on my bad days. have you used meclizine before and had any results???it seems useless to me....

oh...did you have slight ringing in your ears at all??? mine is not often and lasts only for about 5 seconds....that's why i was afraid it might be meniere's, but i haven't had any hearing loss. is it normal with just labs or vestibular neur?

thank you again!

Last edited by alexiwildchild; 08-01-2007 at 09:15 PM. Reason: add question

Old 08-01-2007, 10:18 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiwildchild View Post
Joni,
Thank you so much for that! It's just that since I haven't got a clear answer of what the problem is, I'm not sure if I'm improving or what. I definitely am better than at the beginning, i feel like. It still feels like there is so much pressure in my ears and all the popping/crackling...that's what makes me want to go back to the dr beside the fact that he didn't give me an answer--that was really frustrating. at least i know that i am not alone, and that i am not crazy (although i feel like i am going that way sometimes!)

i haven't really been doing any vestibular rehab. he gave me two papers with exercises, but i've been stubborn and haven't really done them. i kinda felt like since i'm up and about that is kinda the same thing lol. i guess i should make that effort too if it is really helpful with getting my brain to be normal again. This mess is so hard!!! I called my other ENT today to ask about Ativan, but he won't be able to call me back til tomorrow. i don't know if that will help on my bad days. have you used meclizine before and had any results???it seems useless to me....

oh...did you have slight ringing in your ears at all??? mine is not often and lasts only for about 5 seconds....that's why i was afraid it might be meniere's, but i haven't had any hearing loss. is it normal with just labs or vestibular neur?

thank you again!
I think the exercises are helpful, even if you are active. They more specifically retrain the system. I think the most important one, is looking at a letter on a business card, keeping focus and turning your head side to side. If you check out the post called Charlotte's VRTs there's more details. The next step would be moving the card to one side and your head to the opposite direction. Then do these with a busy background.

Meclizine didn't help me at all, even at the beginning of all this. Valium didn't help either, I tried that at some point.

I never had any ringing, pressure, or popping and I had VN. There's so much variation though. Maybe you should persue the ENT further to be sure of diagnosis? I'm sure some other folks on here will have more advice on that.
Take care!

Closed Thread