It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2007, 03:01 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

alexiwildchild HB User
Question Ms????

hey everyone...

i went to my regular ENT today because he didn't want to give me Ativan without seeing me first (my first appt with him was a month ago). Anyway, he thinks that my vision problems are not inner ear related and that they are central nervous system. he thinks i should go to a neurologist to have a possible MRI done to make sure i don't have MS. has anyone else been told this? i am really worried now!! i thought it is just labrynthitis as the ER doc told me first. however, the doc today also thought it may be migraine related since i've been having headaches almost every day. he prescribed me immatrex and it hasn't releived the vision problems....

don't a lot of you have the weird eye problems and it was just vestibular or labs???

please help, i'm really worried!

thanks!

Old 08-03-2007, 03:26 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Jaxzilla HB User
Re: Ms????

What kind of vision problems do you have? Are you eyes bouncy, blurred, loss of depth perception?????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2007, 03:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzyandsad HB User

Yes I have labs and they did send me to neuro to rule out MS i had a MRI i do think it is just routine. i would be interested to find out about the headaches I have at least one almost every day. And my vision is bouncy and jumpy too. neuro said they didnt think it was related and I went to an eye exam and my eyes are fine so I do believe it is related.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:39 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Jaxzilla HB User

The bouncy jumpy vision is related to your labs...its the VOR thats not stable. Your VRTs will help get rid of it.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:05 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Joni9921 HB UserJoni9921 HB User

I think many if not most of us have been through the MS scare. I had an initial MRI as ordered by an ENT who said it wasn't inner ear related. 6 months later I had another MRI because a new ENT also was concerned that the MS just didn't show on the first one. Both were negative thank goodness.

I have had vision issues and at the beginning had a lot of headaches because my system was so overloaded until compensation began.

It couldn't hurt to rule it out, but I would try not to worry too much.

Joni

Old 08-03-2007, 04:53 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

alexiwildchild HB User

thank you all for the replies! that makes me feel so much better. hopefully, it won't be anything. since i don't have insurance i am going to apply for the aid for a MRI through MSAA. all these dr bills are breaking me, and not being able to work as much hurts that as well.

the best way i can describe my vision is like...

ripples, almost like when you see gas fumes...or like sometimes it's shaking...for example if i look at something far away (a picture for ex), it will almost appear to be vibrating from side to side VERY quickly. i still have the stupid black floater in my right eye, and i have some white spots sometimes that float down-like when you look at the sun.

used to, it was more like everything was in motion and more like swirling. now it's this stuff. i would think it was related to vestibular and that it is improving as i posted in another thread-(thanks Jonimichelle).

thank you all again! this board has been so wonderful to find! hope all is well with everyone else!

Old 08-03-2007, 05:00 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Jaxzilla HB User

sounds vestibular to me...vision issues are the last to go. Be patient!

Old 08-03-2007, 05:12 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

alexiwildchild HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxzilla View Post
sounds vestibular to me...vision issues are the last to go. Be patient!
thank you! i am trying really hard! it worried me being so fatigued and these constant headaches...i guess they are some symptoms of MS along with the vision. i hope it's all going! thank you

Old 08-03-2007, 05:19 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Jaxzilla HB User

Most docs will want to do a MRI...but .000001% its not MS. They just want to rule it out. With vestibular disorders the brain gets all funky because its trying to relearn everything all over again. Your headaches can be migraine or just a headache. If your headaches are that severe, I would see a nuerologist though. No one should suffer headaches everyday. I would get your headaches looked though. And Im not sayins its MS, migraines can cause all sorts of problems even vestribular and vision problems.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:51 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

alexiwildchild HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxzilla View Post
Most docs will want to do a MRI...but .000001% its not MS. They just want to rule it out. With vestibular disorders the brain gets all funky because its trying to relearn everything all over again. Your headaches can be migraine or just a headache. If your headaches are that severe, I would see a nuerologist though. No one should suffer headaches everyday. I would get your headaches looked though. And Im not sayins its MS, migraines can cause all sorts of problems even vestribular and vision problems.
well, the headaches are almost every day upon waking. i do have some TMJ problems from the past and i know with anxiety it is probably causing some of that. i'm not sure if they are "migraines", i'm not nauseated with them or have tunnel vision,etc. however, they are getting old. i figured with the TMJ and my brain trying to compensate may be causing them to be so frequent. i just want to be normal again!!! arghhh! i will definitely see about the MRI though, just to rule that junk out. he did give me that Immatrex and i took one today--nothing happened. still weird vision. grrr!!
thanks again

Last edited by alexiwildchild; 08-03-2007 at 05:52 PM.

Old 08-04-2007, 12:07 PM   #11
(male)

mironUK HB User

Hi,

As many others I also thought I had MS. Luckily my neuro is a pro in MS so he ruled it out but I had to have brain and c-spine MRIs. MS is unlikely to manifest only with one or two symptoms. The main vision problem with MS is optical neuritis and from what you say you donít have it.

I havenít been officially diagnosed but there is a suspicion of labs. I used to have some vision problems but they eased out. One of the weirdest things I remember was when I switched lights off at night for several second I had stroboscopic flashes in my eyes. Eventually it all went away. Now I have only floaters but I get used to this situation. Iím slightly short-sighted so I go to an optician regularly to check eye-sight as well as optical nerve and retina but nothing has been found so far.

Cheer up.

Alex.

Old 08-04-2007, 01:34 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

alexiwildchild HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mironUK View Post
Hi,

As many others I also thought I had MS. Luckily my neuro is a pro in MS so he ruled it out but I had to have brain and c-spine MRIs. MS is unlikely to manifest only with one or two symptoms. The main vision problem with MS is optical neuritis and from what you say you donít have it.

I havenít been officially diagnosed but there is a suspicion of labs. I used to have some vision problems but they eased out. One of the weirdest things I remember was when I switched lights off at night for several second I had stroboscopic flashes in my eyes. Eventually it all went away. Now I have only floaters but I get used to this situation. Iím slightly short-sighted so I go to an optician regularly to check eye-sight as well as optical nerve and retina but nothing has been found so far.

Cheer up.

Alex.

Alex,
thank you very much for the reply. that is very encouraging! what is optical neuritis? i also get a weird thing when i turn out the lights or if i look at a light, the shadow of the lighting (like a ceiling fan) will be in my vision as well. but i guess that's kinda normal anyway, but it seems really exaggerated now. the objects shaking back and forth are just absolutely driving me crazy. at some moments it feel like it will make me off balance or slightly dizzy, but not a rotating dizziness.

thank you again! how long did the vision problems last for you? i also made an eye exam appt for this coming tues just to make sure--plus my glasses prescription is about 2 years old, but i hardly wear them anyway. hope you are well!

Old 08-05-2007, 02:16 AM   #13
(male)

mironUK HB User

Hi,

Thanks.

Optical neuritis is inflammation or damage (demyelination in MS) of the optic nerve. Major symptoms are sudden loss of vision (partial or complete) and pain on movement of the affected eye. Colour vision could be affected as well.

Iím in my 11 month since my problem started mid-Sep last year. Most of my vision problems went away in March-April this year, but I still have floaters 24/7.

Good luck with the appointment!

Alex.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:39 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

alexiwildchild HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mironUK View Post
Hi,

Thanks.

Optical neuritis is inflammation or damage (demyelination in MS) of the optic nerve. Major symptoms are sudden loss of vision (partial or complete) and pain on movement of the affected eye. Colour vision could be affected as well.

Iím in my 11 month since my problem started mid-Sep last year. Most of my vision problems went away in March-April this year, but I still have floaters 24/7.

Good luck with the appointment!

Alex.
Hi Alex,

wow, that's a long time to have this mess with the vision! i'm glad you are just having to deal with the floater now. yeah, from what you said, it doesn't sound like i'm having those kind of problems at all...mostly the shaking vision and wavey vision. it still makes me off balance sometimes, some days are of course worse than others. i'm guessing you had the same problem with that.

Thanks again! hope you have a great rest of the weekend

Old 08-05-2007, 07:45 PM   #15
(male)

herofix HB User

Hey Alexi,
I still have lots of floaters as well, and since I'm currently going through a "blip" as we call it, I've occasionally experienced the "wavy" vision you describe, usually when I'm reading or have my vision otherwise fixed on one place for a while. Keep up or even increase your VRT's and hopefully you'll see some improvement soon. I had dropped my routine while on vacation and though I was good for a while the slightly off balance feeling started creeping back, so now I'm hitting the exercises hard again. Good luck and don't sweat the MS thing...if you're really worried get an MRI as I'm sure it will rule it out.

Take care,
Dan

Closed Thread