It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2007, 02:10 PM   #1
(female)

Lauren29 HB User
what makes you feel better?

These are things that helped me when I was at my worst and could barely get though the day.

-hot bath with vapor rub around the ears
-watching my favorite tv show friends (even though they are all reruns)
Just getting in bed after dealing with this junk all day around 6p and zoning out helped take my mind off things
-a walk around the neighborhood with my dog (for some reason I felt safer with him...like he helped keep my balance more)
-emailing with friends on the computer (made me feel like I was still keeping up with them even though I was not going out)
-my pilates tape (when I could not deal with the movement in my head excercising always helped b/c it would put the rest of my body in motion so I couldn't feel it in my head)
-a big dinner and a glass of red wine
-a big cry (for some reason crying would really realease some of that pressure in my head and make it feel clearer)
-being out in the sunshine (rainy days would add pressure to my head.......although it used to be my favorite weather)

Old 08-06-2007, 06:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

gloria2936 HB User
Re: what makes you feel better?

Bizzare, me too Lauren. My list is almost exactly as yours:

-Vapor Rub (had to laugh as my hubby thinks I'm nuts with this stuff, but believe it is a cure all). I also bought some of those personal vapor cups that you put hot water in and the vapor tablet that emits the vapor smell. They seemed to elivate the head pressure some too.
-Mine was watching Roseanne reruns (still do, same shows over and over)
-Bedtime was a forget all ever exists time for me. Wish I could sleep forever sometimes. I would count the hours until bedtime.
-I got another dog (younger one that could walk long) Walking always helped me termendously
-moving (when I forced myself) always resulted in me feeling better
-Always felt better after eating/still do
-this one is strange: yes, crying always felt like the pressure was releived some afterwards even though my sinuses were/are now full. Wonder why?
-Sun on my face always makes me feel so much better. In the winter, the only room that would get some sun was my bathroom (the way the sun comes up where I live would hit that particular window) I sometimes just stand with my face up to the window for quite a long time. The first year, I would actually drive to the park in the winter when the sun was scarce and find a spot where the sun would shine through my window. I eventually bought a light that mimics the sun's natural rays with out the harmful UVA. They use them for people with Season Deficeit Disorder.

It is like you wrote out my list for me.

Gloria

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2007, 12:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sheriff56 HB User

Wow what is it with the Vapour rub, I have one of those inhaler cups, twice a day I stick my nose in it. . . .I'm told I'm addicted by my hubby too, after the evening session of inhaling a nice quiet hot bath.
Walking,
Sitting in the sun. (safely of course)
A glass of chilled Rose for me (I know it's bad for me but I still like it)
Crying is good, I have found as time has gone on and I've felt better I
do this less often.
Chatting on the phone to friends or family.

Nice to know we have the same self help items.
Keep up the good work.
Jayne

Old 08-06-2007, 06:22 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

missy7777 HB Usermissy7777 HB Usermissy7777 HB User

I SO agree with the crying. I don't know what it is either - but if feels like it has released some pressure from within my head!

I do like hot baths, and walks in the sunshine. I also enjoy sitting in our hammock and reading (although the motion can get to me sometimes).

Also, watching America's Funniest Home Videos makes me feel a little better (laughter the best medicine).

Old 08-06-2007, 09:36 PM   #5
(female)

lulu77 HB User

A few of the same things for me:

a nice bubble bath and putting lavender cream on aftwerwards makes me feel very nice and relaxed.
A couple of glasses of wine - not too much or I pay for it the next day
A big cry also helps me but like someone else said those times are happening less and less these days.
And the final one is a flow on effect from the crying - if I'm having a sook then my kitty cat (who is actually named Sooks) always comes and gives me a big cuddle

Old 08-07-2007, 01:48 PM   #6
(female)

Lauren29 HB User

Maybe it's just a woman thing with a lot of these remedies....too funny!

Old 08-07-2007, 02:30 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

missy7777 HB Usermissy7777 HB Usermissy7777 HB User

I forgot to mention another great way to feel better. It is reading this board and knowing that others are going through the same thing and are recovering over time.

I remember in the beginning, this board was a life-saver. And even now when I get really bad I come back here and it seems to decrease my anxiety and ill feelings.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:07 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

joy78 HB User

Funny how we all mention crying. Crying definatley helped me out a lot. I would let myself cry and cry to let out all the fustrations I was feeling. i think it's healthy to cry, let's you do something with all the emotions that are built up inside

Besides crying, working out helped me. again because it helped release endorphins which made me feel better and i always felt better when moving. I felt like i was moving when I sat still so when I actually was moving it finally felt right . Also driving, I think for the same reason.

Closed Thread