It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2007, 06:03 AM   #1
(male)

seadrops HB User
Question Labyrinthectomy Surgery

Hi,
Due to my ongoing problems with Meniere's Disease in my left ear, I have run out of options but to have a Labyrinthectomy. This has been after a long and journey trying many different treatments,
I realize that I will become deaf on that side, but I'd rather be deaf than continually terrorized with sickening Vertigo!
I would like to hear anybody else's experience with this procedure to learn a bit more what I'm in for! Any replies would be helpful
Spinningly - Dave

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2007, 08:46 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Subs30 HB UserSubs30 HB User
Talking Re: Labyrinthectomy Surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadrops View Post
Hi,
Due to my ongoing problems with Meniere's Disease in my left ear, I have run out of options but to have a Labyrinthectomy. This has been after a long and journey trying many different treatments,
I realize that I will become deaf on that side, but I'd rather be deaf than continually terrorized with sickening Vertigo!
I would like to hear anybody else's experience with this procedure to learn a bit more what I'm in for! Any replies would be helpful
Spinningly - Dave
HI Seadrops

Never had it(thank goodness) and sure you are aware of the "in's/Out's" of this type of surgery---Here is the latests (May 20, 2007) on it---from Northwestern Univ (Dr Hain's group)---in the "sticky" 1st post on board:

..."Overview:
There are few times when surgery is appropriate for dizziness. Most disorders either can be treated effectively medically, or there is no treatment at all. Surgical treatments that are available can be broken down innto corrective and destructive types.

Corrective surgical treatments for vertigo:
Unfortunately, there are relatively few instances where surgery can be viewed as a corrective procedure for vertigo. Interestingly, in all cases where there is a proposed corrective surgery, either the process of diagnosis is controversial, or the treatment itself is controversial. This suggests that caution is appropriate when a corrective procedure is proposed."....

for the rest of it go here:

[url]http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/treatment/surg.html[/url]

---Good Luck!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread