It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2007, 01:46 AM   #1
(male)

jemmiez HB User
Question anyone - help with Exercises

I am a 22 year old male who has had problems for about a year now.. I went for testing and it was found that during the dix hallpike test, the doctor saw a nystagmus when i was laid down on both sides , I think , I am not postive...anyway.. my main problem is that I feel like I am walking on uneven ground.. if I enter a dark room it is much worse, also when I close my eyes and lay down on either side to sleep I feel the sensation that I am moving, not spinning, but sort of bouncing..it is very off putting....however, I've never have once had the spins. I have been doing the exercises in Charlottes VRT's post but would like to know exactly what kind of exercises should I zero in on for this feeling I am having (uneven ground, feelings of moving when eyes are closed)....I seem to have remarkable tolerabilty towards the exercises.... in fact I do all of the exercises int he post and do not feel any type of spinning nor do i feel noticably any worse afterwards or even during..... the weird thing is I seem to have pretty good balance as I can stand on one foot even while moving my head and keep my footing which I find quite odd...so once again which exercises should I be focusing on? and why is my tolerabilty so high yet I am still experiencing symptoms!?

also I am usually always congested yet I have tested negative on my allergy blood tests..could my nasal congestion be adding to or even the root of the problem??

I wish all of you the best of luck and courage to overcome this problem..don't give up guys!

- Matt

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2007, 04:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

charlotte67 HB User
re: anyone - help with Exercises

Matt, were you diagnosed with an inner ear problem?

Old 08-08-2007, 02:38 PM   #3
(male)

jemmiez HB User

I don't know exactly what the doctor dx'd me with but I believe he just called it a vestibular weakness.. and ordered VRT which I did 5 weeks of with someone who didn't seem like they knew what they were doing.....she told me to do only 2 exercises at home, one with my head still and eyes moving and then simply marching with my eyes open and closed....so long story short I am looking for the correct exercises and am frustrated that I wasted my time with someone who seemed to be making up exercises along the way...

Old 08-08-2007, 02:40 PM   #4
(male)

jemmiez HB User

oh and if you don't mind me asking I've seen you on the board for some months now ...but this is the first time I signed up and posted...but how are you progressing?? has anything gotten better for you??

Old 08-08-2007, 02:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sheriff56 HB User

I've just bumped up that post called Charlottes VRT's , they do work, stick at them they will make you feel worse to start with thats normal given time they should make the sensations you have subside.

I had a room tilting sensation to start with I found standing on a pillow arms folded across my chest and closing my eyes helped this, I fell several time to start with but it does get better eventually. I can do it now standing on the pillow one foot in front of the other, eyes closed arms crossed for 30-40 seconds before I start to fall. . . .thats better than my Hubby who doesn't have any balance problems.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with your PT, there are very few out there that know what they are doing.
Keep with it.
Jayne

Last edited by Administrator; 07-25-2012 at 02:26 PM.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:24 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Joni9921 HB UserJoni9921 HB User

The most important exercise you can do is the one where you look at a business card, focus on a letter, and turn your head keeping your eyes focussed on the card. Try this with a busy pattern (like a checkerboard or something) behind it. Still no symptoms? Try it with the pattern and a letter in the middle. Stand on a sofa cushion and do it. Stand heel to toe while you do it. You can do it while walking backward 10 steps while turning your head side to side and keeping the letter in focus. Walk forward 10 steps and do the same.

Another way to do this exercise is moving the card to the left and your head to the right. You can do the above with this exercise as well.

If none of these increase your symptoms, try this. Pay attention during the day to what does increase your symptoms. When you identify movements/stimulation that increase your symptoms, you can turn those into exercises by breaking them down and building them back up.

Joni

Last edited by Administrator; 07-25-2012 at 02:26 PM.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:25 PM   #7
(male)

jemmiez HB User

Hi there Jayne... thank you for bumping the post.. I've actually been doing the exercises for about a week now..like I said I can do almost everything on there , variations and all without much of a problem so hopefully persistence and practice will prevail as technically I haven't been doing them long.....

Do you suggest that I just do all of them or should I focus on specific ones in order to better my balance problem?

also I was unclear but I was not sure if I understood what BalanceChicago (Michele) was saying... did she say that any exercise where the head isn't moving would not help resolve the dizziness??? Meaning the exercises where I track something with just my eyes are useless??

take care and thank you to those who responded

Old 08-08-2007, 05:30 PM   #8
(male)

jemmiez HB User

Joni thank you so much I just noticed your post right after I responded to Jayne.... I will absolutely start using those exercises I can't thank you enough....

Just to clarify.. I remember seeing BalanceChicago saying something to the effect that tracking with just the eyes while keeping the head still doesn't help ?? did I misunderstand her?? and should i stop doing exercises such as that?

Thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it

Last edited by jemmiez; 08-08-2007 at 05:33 PM.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:41 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

The tracking exercises don't retrain the VOR reflex, which is key for rehab. The head moving with focussed eyes does. Some people benefit from the tracking as well. If its easy I wouldn't bother. Focus on whatever is difficult for you. Otherwise you're not challenging your system. Keep it up!
Joni

Old 08-08-2007, 07:50 PM   #10
(male)

jemmiez HB User

Thank you for the clarification Joni..you've pretty much singlehandedly answered all my questions... If you don't mind me asking , I am assuming that you are doing the exercises, how much have they helped??

Old 08-09-2007, 10:35 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

No problem. I'm glad I could help. I'm a PT myself in addition to having this dizzy thing. I have done the exercises for 2 bouts before this time. (I've had this for 18 months) I restarted them again 8 weeks ago. they have helped, particularly with my balance, but I have had vision problems (issues I've had my whole life but that didn't affect me before the vestibular prob) that have made my recovery difficult. I couldn't do the most important exercises properly. So now I'm really progressing through it and challenging myself more and more. I don't think I have responded like most people (unfortunately) to the exercises, but now that I'm addressing the vision too its all coming together.

Last edited by Administrator; 07-25-2012 at 02:28 PM.

Closed Thread