It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2007, 04:38 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: tx
Posts: 461
alexiwildchild HB User
How Long?!?!?!?

hey everyone! i have had a horrible week so far, and just when i thought i was getting better. my eyes are still very shifty and having the shaky/wavy vision. this week though, i have had this headache since last friday and finally is subsiding today. i feel so depressed like whatever this junk is will not go away ever! i thought i was getting better! i still haven't got a real answer from the ENT or neuroto, got the neurologist appt this monday.

my question is what were you all diagnosed with, and when did you feel better or recover (or how long does this take to get rid of). I guess it is hard for me since i don't really know what my problem is yet. I've been told labs, possible meniere's, and then migraine related and to see a neurologist. arghhhh!!!! i am getting so frustrated and sad! it was my 2 month mark monday which i know is less than a lot of you on here, and that is what makes me worry so much!!!! HOW LONG!

 
Old 08-08-2007, 05:14 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 371
Joni9921 HB UserJoni9921 HB User
Re: How Long?!?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiwildchild View Post
hey everyone! i have had a horrible week so far, and just when i thought i was getting better. my eyes are still very shifty and having the shaky/wavy vision. this week though, i have had this headache since last friday and finally is subsiding today. i feel so depressed like whatever this junk is will not go away ever! i thought i was getting better! i still haven't got a real answer from the ENT or neuroto, got the neurologist appt this monday.

my question is what were you all diagnosed with, and when did you feel better or recover (or how long does this take to get rid of). I guess it is hard for me since i don't really know what my problem is yet. I've been told labs, possible meniere's, and then migraine related and to see a neurologist. arghhhh!!!! i am getting so frustrated and sad! it was my 2 month mark monday which i know is less than a lot of you on here, and that is what makes me worry so much!!!! HOW LONG!
Alexis,
How did this all start for you? You may have posted this elswhere but I haven't seen it. I know its frustrating- don't look at how long many of us have been dealing with this- we're the minority of folks who get hit with this vestibular stuff; the people who don't get better right away are often the people searching for support/answers. Many people do recover in just a few months so stay positive!
Joni

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 08-08-2007, 06:02 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: tx
Posts: 461
alexiwildchild HB User
Re: How Long?!?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoniMichelle View Post
Alexis,
How did this all start for you? You may have posted this elswhere but I haven't seen it. I know its frustrating- don't look at how long many of us have been dealing with this- we're the minority of folks who get hit with this vestibular stuff; the people who don't get better right away are often the people searching for support/answers. Many people do recover in just a few months so stay positive!
Joni
hey JoniMichelle,

thanks for the support and reply. basically....this is what happened. ok here goes...... i had tubes put in my ears when i was little, and have had middle ear infections a lot, but nothing that an antibiotic wouldn't get rid of (those would incorporate the dizzy and unsteady feeling too). i had those happen while i was in cosmetology school back in 2000, and i probably had the problem on and off the whole time....once i got out and away from that bldg and fumes...no problem!!

well this started June 11th of this year. I had been feeling a little weird for a few days, but not dizzy. It was like my coordination was off and that my touch was not clicking with what i was feeling. Well on the 11th I woke up feeling "off" and a little like i was in a fog. i went outside to drive to the post office and got really hot-due to the weather. the drive was like a foggy dream. went to the same dr that i normally go to and he said an INNER ear infection and prescibed me some antibiotics.
well, i had an severe allergic reaction to them and landed me in the ER for a whole day. after that, it was even more down hill. i lost about 10 pounds which i couldn't afford to lose in the first place, due to the nausea and weakness. i slowly recovered from that after about 1 month or so.
i have slowly improved my energy and gained some weight back....but had the whole time with the feeling of the room moving in a circular motion and was awfully dizzy. from then until even now, i feel like my ears are full and the pop alot, the right one doesn't seem to get much air through though. i have had, and today included, where my left ear feels like it is wet, and it has a fluid in it that i can touch---not regular wax. i am still feeling liek i'm in a bubble and my headaches are in the front of my head around my eyes and in my temples mostly---upon waking every day. some ringing in my ears, but only last for a few seconds, and it doesn't happen very often.

a few weeks ago, my vision wasn't so much the room moving, but objects shaking from side to side very quickly and the wavy motion of my vision, especially out of the corner of my eyes and when i look up. that is how it is now. balance is still really off, and the floater in my right eye. the nausea has subsided, but i felt horrible today with it and had to take a zofran. i thought i was getting better. NOT to mention that i've been having headaches this whole time.....especially bad ones this week, one that hasn't really disappeared since friday.

as far as drs.....all said i dont' have an ear infection, except for the original one.

*ER dr said labs, and anxiety...gave me xanax
*neuroto was an idiot and said possible meniere's and gave me a diuretic which did nothing....i don't have any hearing loss either.
*regular ENT said this friday possible migraine associated vertigo, and referred me to a neurologist for an MRI to rule out MS. my first visit with him he thought i may have sinus problem-said my nostrils,etc looked imflamed and prescribed me clarinex and nasonex...after giving me a cortisone shot.

weird thing, i was already stressed out when all this came on and my a/c leaked all over my carpet for about a week until they came and cleaned it up. they haven't replaced the carpet, but it doesnt smell. it seemed all this happened right at the same time. my apt is also very dusty, but has never troubled me before the leak.

ohhhh...and don't know if this means anything, but i was rear-ended in 2003 and my neck has some serious pain for about 3-4 days, but never saw a dr cuz it went away.
and just this may, we went to six flags and rode a huge wooden roller coaster-----bad mistake, i had an instant headache after that and it felt like i had been in a horrible car accident. my eyes were watering when i got off the ride because i was hurting so bad--haha and i'm only 26!



thanks again for any input hope you are doing well

Last edited by alexiwildchild; 08-08-2007 at 06:07 PM.

 
Old 08-08-2007, 06:29 PM   #4
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Livingston, Montana, USA
Posts: 34
montana HB User
Re: How Long?!?!?!?

Hey Alexi,

Sounds like you have the exact same symptoms that I have had and the same experiences with the Doctors. I started the fogginess in March and have got lots better starting around July 1. Still have the fog every day but it is easier to ignore. I started VRT's in June and figure that is what got me on the way out of this. I sill do them twice a day. Hope you get to feeling better!

Mitch

 
Old 08-08-2007, 06:42 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: tx
Posts: 461
alexiwildchild HB User
Re: How Long?!?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by montana View Post
Hey Alexi,

Sounds like you have the exact same symptoms that I have had and the same experiences with the Doctors. I started the fogginess in March and have got lots better starting around July 1. Still have the fog every day but it is easier to ignore. I started VRT's in June and figure that is what got me on the way out of this. I sill do them twice a day. Hope you get to feeling better!

Mitch
Hey Mitch,

thanks! glad you are doing well. do you still have the vision problems? i feel like this 24/7, did you? did you ever get a real answer from any doctor? i am just getting to feel like there is no answer ya know?! did you also have the up and down slopes of feeling better?
thanks a bunch! hope you get to 100% quick!

 
Old 08-08-2007, 07:35 PM   #6
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Livingston, Montana, USA
Posts: 34
montana HB User
Re: How Long?!?!?!?

I still have the vision stuff but not nearly as bad as early on. I still see and feel it all day. I'm sort of used to it now. I'm not so worried about it anymore and try to go on with my day. My doctors here in Montana have not been much help. I got a MRI, Cat Scans, Allergy tests and all came back normal. What I learned from the folks on this board helped me more than anything.

I felt just as frustrated as you do now. I tried not to worry about it too much. Just accepted that it would just take time to heal. I had good and bad days. Some of the bad days seemed to go on forever day after day. But then you get the good days and that gives you hope. I have had several good days now. Had a bad day a couple of days ago and right back into more good days. So I hope its about done.

When I think back on it all it seems the anxiety is what made thing worse for me. Doing VRT's and truly accepting that it will take time to heal is what got me to feeling better. Also, staying busy no matter how bad I felt took my mind off of it and made things feel better.

Good Luck!
Mitch

 
Old 08-09-2007, 04:38 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: maine, usa
Posts: 1,166
charlotte67 HB User
Re: How Long?!?!?!?

Yep, you sound like you have labs...

Mine started 1 year ago. My eyes were so bad...I would walk from my very sunny kitchen down to my cellar to do laundry (darker)...and almost pass out from the bad signals. Now, I still get nausea (comes and goes)...and woozy/not right feeling...but it is so much better than when I started.

I do everything I use to...just don't always feel great doing it. Before, couldn't do nearly anything.

 
Old 08-09-2007, 07:21 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: tx
Posts: 461
alexiwildchild HB User
Re: How Long?!?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotte67 View Post
Yep, you sound like you have labs...

Mine started 1 year ago. My eyes were so bad...I would walk from my very sunny kitchen down to my cellar to do laundry (darker)...and almost pass out from the bad signals. Now, I still get nausea (comes and goes)...and woozy/not right feeling...but it is so much better than when I started.

I do everything I use to...just don't always feel great doing it. Before, couldn't do nearly anything.
Hey charlotte,

did they ever suspect central nervous problem, or did they diagnose you ever with labs? if so, did they give you anything whatsoever to help treat it-or just the vrt's?

glad you are doing better!

 
Old 08-09-2007, 09:30 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 371
Joni9921 HB UserJoni9921 HB User
Re: How Long?!?!?!?

Hello again. Your history having dizziness episodes all your life makes me think its not from a recent viral cause. Or it could be on top of it. One thing I think could be helpful is trying to detox your environment- the AC issue, dust, and your diet- cut out any migraine triggers. Maybe an elimination diet of things like wheat and dairy to see if it makes a difference? Just a couple of thoughts to give your body the best possible way to heal. Good luck!
Joni

 
Old 08-10-2007, 04:06 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: maine, usa
Posts: 1,166
charlotte67 HB User
Re: How Long?!?!?!?

I think what Joni said is great advice. It sounds like migraine could be pushing your dizzy's at this point. I was not given anything but meclizine initially. Then I was evaluated by a neuro and an ENT. They could not do an MRI at the time due to being pregnant. So they ran other vestibular tests and determined due to symptoms and the slam vertigo attack that started things...that I had vestibular neuritis.

I stayed on meclizine for 3 weeks, pulled myself off and now only due vrts. Take tylenol occasionally for headache....

 
Old 08-10-2007, 05:34 AM   #11
Junior Member
(male)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: new york city
Posts: 15
kevin113 HB User
Re: How Long?!?!?!?

its somewhat good to see I m not the only one going through this. I ve had 2 MRIS with neg results....but ENG was abnormal. I just cant drive a car....walking and turning are fine.....Vertigo lasted 3 weeks but is gone now
FRUSTRATED IN NYC

 
Old 08-10-2007, 11:59 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: tx
Posts: 461
alexiwildchild HB User
Re: How Long?!?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotte67 View Post
I think what Joni said is great advice. It sounds like migraine could be pushing your dizzy's at this point. I was not given anything but meclizine initially. Then I was evaluated by a neuro and an ENT. They could not do an MRI at the time due to being pregnant. So they ran other vestibular tests and determined due to symptoms and the slam vertigo attack that started things...that I had vestibular neuritis.

I stayed on meclizine for 3 weeks, pulled myself off and now only due vrts. Take tylenol occasionally for headache....
Thanks. Question though. Do they not give any anti-viral medication for something like this, if its truly caused by a virus?? i've read that somewhere and was wondering.

 
Old 08-10-2007, 02:41 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 371
Joni9921 HB UserJoni9921 HB User
Re: How Long?!?!?!?

sometimes they do give antivirals. also steriods. But this has to be given right away. I think the jury is still out as to whether it actually helps, but I think it looks positive. After the initial insult to the system its just rehab rehab rehab!

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Trying to make sense of a shocking break-up...advice needed! (LONG! Sorry!) LAgirl81 Relationship Health 6 02-07-2008 11:55 AM
I am Merely me...My story ( A long one) MerelyMe Addiction & Recovery 7 08-29-2007 10:43 AM
My story, sorry this is long and complicated! Floridagirl77 Inner Ear Disorders 11 08-18-2007 10:20 AM
Long Distance for 1 year? Advice needed! LAgirl81 Relationship Health 10 06-27-2007 07:58 PM
breakthrough pain meds????? warning, long!! jujuhound Pain Management 9 01-14-2005 06:29 AM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:18 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.com™
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.com™ All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!