It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2007, 08:02 PM   #1
(male)

jemmiez HB User
??

.:......................,,,,.....,.,.,,, .::..:.,:,,,

Last edited by jemmiez; 09-01-2008 at 02:05 AM.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:04 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

alexiwildchild HB User
Re: Depression and Anxiety adding to the struggle...any remedies??

hey! all this inner ear junk or vertigo can certainly cause anxiety. i know since mine started i have been so anxious and have even had some panic attacks. i have NEVER had these types of problems ever in my life, so this is all new to me. i started off taking xanax---with one whole .25mg upon awaking and then another whole one at night. slowly i've tapered off to 1/2 of one at night only, and am wanting off of them, as they are highly addictive. i've noticed for the last two nights i've tried to cut them into 1/4 to ease off of them altogether and it's been extremely hard. i tried one night without them and i couldn't do it. i have only been taking the xanax for a month total now. with all that said though, they have been very helpful during this stressful time. but it's one more problem i don't need (to become dependent on them), and i dont have an addictive personality whatsoever.

This week for me has been extremely hard with depression, i just had a huge crying attack as a matter of fact. they seem to come and go. it seems like this can total put a hold on things in your life and that makes me even more worried and anxious, which can make the dizzies worse.

I just started going to an acupunturist and that has helped a lot with the anxiety, as well as some chinese herbs. however, she's been out of town for a week, and i'm starting to get anxious (along with trying to quit the xanax). luckily i have an appointment with her tomorrow i also started to try a yoga dvd for relaxation, it does seem to help---when im feeling good enough to do the breathing and exercises. and also having someone to confide in and be supportive is a huge help.

this board has been a huge help for me just in the month that i've been on here, the first month of my illness i was all alone so thank goodness for this place!

dunno if any of that helps, i do hope you find a way to help yourself-but please take caution with any of the medication, as i'm sure your dr will make quite clear lol.

good luck to you, we feel ya!

Last edited by alexiwildchild; 08-08-2007 at 09:04 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2007, 09:37 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

missy7777 HB Usermissy7777 HB Usermissy7777 HB User

Absolutely. When I first started experiencing this freak thing I was SOOO depressed and definitely panic stricken/anxious. The worse I feel, the worse the anxiety. On those super bad days I would take an Ativan to relax, but no more than one a day, ONLY on bad days.

This board completely helped me too. Just knowing that other people have this weird stuff and are surviving and GETTING BETTER every day was enough to help me over the hurdles. Reading people saying over and over again, "You WILL GET BETTER one day" helped me so much. And yes, you will too.

You just have to figure out what is making you so ill and obviously, try to fix it and you will feel less anxious the better you feel. Ugggg, easier said than done, I know.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:47 PM   #4
(male)

jemmiez HB User

Hi there .. thank you for your response... I've heard great things about accupunture and accupressure so I may have to try that out.... as far as xanax I know how addictive it can be but also how helpful it can be but like you said you've only used it a month and are already having problems lowering the dosage....I wish you the best of luck with that

I actually picked up a book today called "The Mood Cure" by Julia Ross. It was recommended to me as a natural way to relieve anxiety and depression...I've been reading it all day and I must say it has a wealth of info on ways to help correct anxiety and depression without the use of pharmaceuticals.. I am definitely going to follow the suggestions in the book as I've always had mild problems with anxiety and depression in the past but since my vestibular problems arose everything has gotten much worse...

I'll let you know how it goes to anyone who is interested...

Matt

The Following User Says Thank You to jemmiez For This Useful Post:
breazie (05-19-2012)
Old 08-08-2007, 09:50 PM   #5
(male)

jemmiez HB User

hey Missy I used to take ativan in the past and although I found it helpful it seemed to make me moody and more depressed..not sure I'm a big fan of the stuff but I may be a special case as I have a strong family history of depression and anxiety...

and I have to say I love this board and we will definitely all get through this together don't you worry guys

- Matt

Old 08-08-2007, 10:46 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User

Hi Matt,

There's 3 options really:

1) Cognitive behavioural therapy (which may be pointless if the anxiety is derived physiologically and not by your thought patterns surrounding your being ill).

2) A benzodiazapene occasionally as Missy says but be careful. I use valium which seems to be more gentle and less likely to cause rebound anxiety.

3) An SSRI.

I've tried all of the natural remedies - everything from homoeopathy to acupuncture all of which did nothing. I think natural remedies are like trying to stop the Titanic with an ice cube when we're talking about vestibular problems. Lastly I should point out that if your balance problems stem from vestibular migraine then knocking that on the head would remove the anxiety and depression. For now I am on a low dose SSRI and the odd valium which has done the trick in the short term but is not a long term solution - at least for me.

Best ... Scott

Old 08-08-2007, 11:56 PM   #7
(male)

jemmiez HB User

Hey Scot thanks for the info.... personally I've had bad reactions to both zoloft ( anxiety through the roof, thought I was losing my mind!) and lexapro (completely out of it, numb to the world) and couldn't make it past 5 weeks on either...I just don't think I am suited for such medicines...

Have you ever used 5-htp, L-tryptophan, Tyrosine or other amino acids to help with your symptoms?? that is partly what the book is about and I may experiment with these and see what happens...

take care thanks for the reply

Old 08-09-2007, 03:22 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Matt,

I had the same reaction on Zoloft too. So anxious it was stupid. I really thought I'd lose my mind on that stuff. Bummer Lex didn't suit you either. I haven't tried the others youm mention although I did have a hit of L-tyrosine one day years ago and it precipitated a panic attack so I didn't go back.

The anxiety/depression that this thing produces is the worst aspect I think, by a long shot. Hope you find some relief soon.

Best ... Scott

Old 08-14-2007, 11:55 AM   #9
(female)

ht0626 HB User

Matt,

I have tried many natural supplements for anxiety as well as prescribed medications. The best choice for me was the L-theanine. It worked wonders! It is a bit pricey but it is well worth it to me, just make sure the brand is suntheanine... many companies make it. good luck to you!

Old 08-14-2007, 12:47 PM   #10
(female)

maria1007 HB User

hi all,
Im on 20 mg cipramil. I have the odd few bad days now,but no where near as bad as when this whole thing started.23 months into it now and i must say cipramil has been a god send for me. I know a few others on the boards are on it too with good results.I do everthing i used to do,maybe not as confidently but im trying.Before the cipramil my anxiety was just awful,i was having panic attacks every day and i just felt a mess.Slowly slowly im getting there though. I know the triggers that set me off so i try and avoid them for time being. i.e-VERY busy stores,really loud music,but if it helps me i can live with that. We celebrated my daughters 1st birthday few weeks ago,loads of people and noise.I did all the preparing and food etc and had a fab day,felt ace in fact! Its true,time is a healer, vestibular probs are so awful and people dont seem to understand,but at least the boards are here.
x x x

Old 08-14-2007, 04:31 PM   #11
(male)

jemmiez HB User

Maria,

I'm glad that you found a medication that is helping you. Personally I can't tolerate the side effects of SSRI's ...of course I certainty will try them again if there are no other options..maybe an SNRI like effexor (although i've heard the withdrawls are really bad) or possibly even a tricyclic would be better for me I guess I'll have to experiment...

ht0626,

Like I mentioned earlier I've been reading "the Mood Cure" by Julia Ross which shows how dietary changes and supplementation with certain amino acids (which happen to be the building blocks for neurotransmitters such as serotonin , norepinephrine etc) can alleviate depression and anxiety.
I experimented a couple of times with L-theanine , Source naturals brand which isn't suntheanine.... I have a love hate relationship with it..sometimes it makes me feel calm and great for several hours after a 100mg dose ..but it may have contributed to me feeling strange and possibly more depressed the next day....the last time I took it I actually seemed to feel weird and possibly even more anxious.. I am not sure I guess I need to further experiment with it..I picked up the suntheanine brand so maybe that will have a difference.. when and how much do you take??

Right now I am waiting to test out L-tyrosine , L-tryptophan, DL-Phenylalanine, gaba, and 5-htp... each of these can stimulate production of certain neurotransmitters.. It is just a matter of me finding which one or ones produce the greatest benefit for me..

I will say that while taking a b-complex vitamin (in the day) and 50mgs of 5-htp (at night) , literally took away all of my depressive and anxiety related symptoms...it was amazing..unfortunately I had a strange reaction to one of the supplements I was taking and had to stop taking everything.. I suspect it was this whey protein powder I took..anyway I have tried 5-htp a few times after that but it has not reproduced the same benefit, each time however I wasn't taking the b-complex may be the main component which allows the 5-htp to convert to serotonin... I guess I have some experimenting to do. If anyone is interested I will post my results..

Last edited by jemmiez; 08-14-2007 at 04:37 PM. Reason: adding some thoughts

Old 08-14-2007, 05:06 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi Maria,

Glad to hear you are feeling so well on the higher dose of Cipramil. I'm now considering going to 20 mg myself as 15 just isn't doing the job like it once did. Are you experiencing any side effects at 20 mg?

Matt - I hear you on the Effexor. Apparently not easy to get off of but then maybe it's different for every one. Another one that is tough to get off of is Paxil I hear (high affinity for the serotonin receptors). Hope you can find something.

Best ... Scott

Last edited by studyin; 08-14-2007 at 05:09 PM.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:48 PM   #13
(male)

jemmiez HB User

thanks alot Scott.. I hope I do too...I am definitely curious to see where this natural route may take me since I am trying to avoid the side effects that accompany the prescription meds... what kind of side effects are you currently experiencing , if you dont mind me asking?

Old 08-14-2007, 10:01 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Matt - current side effects are a sort of numb feeling, reduced libido, and an increased sensitivity to myalgia. Headaches are far more prevalent on the SSRI than off. Annoying side-effect because it kills the dizziness (mostly) but causes more hassles in the pain dept. A double-edged sword it is. Last time I was on this stuff I gained 13 kg but so far I have not put any weight back on. I know how it can creep on so this time I am very vigilant watching my weight weekly (scales here at work).

Scott

Old 08-14-2007, 11:27 PM   #15
(male)

jemmiez HB User

I believe I read a study somewhere online that showed SSRI's were quite beneficial to people suffering chronic dizziness....in fact, I took a dose of L-tryptophan last night (which is supposed to among other things increase serotonin production) and I have to say I am noticably less dizzy today...I will update further to see if this continues to help since it is too early to definitively say...

Scott,
I am glad that the medication is working, however, that's the nature of these drugs...They definitely seem to all be double-edged swords. Once you find one that works for you, you will have to deal with new problems created by the medicine.. that is why I am leaving them as the last resort.

Closed Thread