It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2007, 08:35 AM   #1
(female)

6-paq HB User
Frustrating ENT appt

I finally had a follow-up appt with an ENT to discuss my pansinusitis/surgery and VNG results.

I have been having constant headaches and periods of lightheadness. I also get what I call a "visual drunkeness" when my headaches are at their worst.

My neuro ordered a VNG which showed a 77% weakness in my right ear during the Caloric Test. I also had a brainstem evoked potential which showed no brain issues which could cause the dizziness.

Well,... not only did the ENT say that I don't need surgery (just prescribed Flonase), but he said that he wasn't concerned about the right ear vestibular weakness. He stated that the Caloric tests are highly inaccurate and since I don't have "vertigo", just the lightheadness, he's not concerned.

Also said that the lightheadedness isn't due to my chronic sinusitis and the "visual drunkeness" that I get with the bad headaches is not sinus or inner ear related.

So, I left that appt very frustrated! He basically discounted the VNG testing, plus over-ruled the PA that told me I needed expedited surgery on my sinuses. The only thing he's now looking into is my pulsatile tinnitus.

Have any of you ever been told that about the Caloric testing? I'm assuming that I should now go and get a second opinion? I took forever to get this appointment (and it was "rushed" through by the PA).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2007, 03:55 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

missy7777 HB Usermissy7777 HB Usermissy7777 HB User
Re: Frustrating ENT appt

I hate to sound like a broken record - sorry if you have already heard this before, but have you been checked by a neurologist instead of an ENT doc? If, for example, you have migraines that are causing your problems, a neurologist or even a neurotologist would be much better suited than an ENT doc. I think most of us agree on this board that the ENT guys don't really know what they are talking about when it comes to vestibular/neuro problems.

I would suggest making an appointment with a neurologist and looking into migraines or something else as the possible cause of your problems.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2007, 04:39 PM   #3
(female)

6-paq HB User

Hi missy7777,

Yes, I have seen a neuro. He was the one who ordered the brainstem evoked potential and VNG to rule out CNS causes of my dizziness. The BAEP was normal, but the VNG indicated the vestibular weakness, not CNS issues. The VNG report recommended follow-up with an ENT.

My neuro knew that I went to an ENT to check out my sinuses, so let me discuss the VNG stuff with him. Also says that he doesn't think I have migraines.

Now, the ENT says the dizziness isn't related to my messed up sinuses (all of my sinuses are inflammed and I have an obstruction and polyp) and that the Caloric test is unreliable.

Just feel like a ping pong ball. No answers, no meds (other than a nasal spray), no symptom relief and very frustrated!

Old 08-09-2007, 05:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

charlotte67 HB User

I know this is frustrating...I would see if someone near you knows about dizzys and will validate you. I would get another opinion...esp. if you have insurance.

If you don't like the plan, you need to find someone who will make you feel more secure.

I saw a neuro...didn't like his take...moved on. Frustrated, yep...but got to an ent that has helped tons.

Good luck.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:13 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

joy78 HB User

Keep looking for a doctor that will be supportive and help you out. I had an ENT who I went to twice for two different problems (dizziness and then tinnitus) and he gave me the same explanation for both problems and prescribed be antibiotics both times, which never worked either times. I saw another ENT who knew more about dizziness and tinnitus and she helped explain things to me and helped me out much more than that guy. A doctor is only human, and not every Ear doctor knows about inner ear problems. It's weird because they are "ear doctors" you would think that includes the inner ear. But I guess not. Just keep looking, it's like shopping for a car, don't go with the first one you see

Closed Thread