It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2007, 07:04 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzyandsad HB User
Question Med Sensitive....

For those sensitive to medications what do you use for Allergies?? I am sooo paranoid about med side effects and making my dizziness worse or some other bad side effect so I tend to take nothing and suffer. Well last night my allergies were so bad I took some Childrens Benadryl Allergy and it made me feel yucky (dizzy, heart pump strange and feel really hung over in a.m.) What do you take that you have noticed the least amount of side effects??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2007, 10:02 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

tummy2 HB User
Re: Med Sensitive....

HI dizzy....

The best thing you could take for your allergies which would not cause a systemic effect is something like flonase/nasonex or any nasal steroid... need prescription though.

The flonase would take care of the runny, sneezy nose and something like visine for the eyes.

Flonase takes a few days to really work though, but it is applied topically -- it never goes through your bloodstream (atleast not in large amounts)

Your other options are anti-histamines like benadryl, claritin, zyrtec, allegra etc... Some of which have a doping effect initially. Remember, even with benadryl, it may not make your dizzies worse per se, but you may get extremely tired when you take it initially.. Once you t ake ait consistently, that doping effect will wear off.

Tummy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2007, 03:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzyandsad HB User

Thanks I have been using visine for my eyes and I have a flonase nasal spray my mom gave me but does not do much do I need to be taking it on a regular basis???

Old 08-12-2007, 06:37 PM   #4
(female)

catcopy HB User

What do you mean "medicine sensitive?" Can medication trigger dizzy/lightheaded spells? Does is somehow have an affect on the vestibular system or what? I'm trying to keep notes on the things I've been reading here so that I can assist my doctors better. There is just so much to sort out. All I know is that I want to feel better SOON. Also, my ENT mentioned something about the cerebelum but I didn't quite understand what kind of a connection dizzyness/lightneadedness and the cerebelem had.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzyandsad HB User

What I have noticed after having my son and getting this illness is I am sooo vulnerable to every little side effect the meds I take have. I can barely take aspirin without feeling wierd...Probably just me

Old 08-12-2007, 08:07 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

tummy2 HB User

Yes flonase is cumulative! You need to take it 2 quirts ach nostril, atleast 1x a day. Its a nasal steroid.... So if something is influencing your reaction -- pollen etc..., this will keep it in check... It takes 2 days to start working for me...... but if you use it regularly yu should be symptom free in a week. Its not a fast acting drug, and its fairly harmless

Old 08-12-2007, 08:09 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

tummy2 HB User

Catcopy -- Yes I think she is referring to meds affecting her dizzies... The truth is I think alot of people who are dizzy are sensitive to every change in their head since they are monitoring it to such an extent. I for example do not take ibuprofen because for some reason is makes my head 'loose'. That may not make sense to you, but lets just say I fweel weird when I take it.... So I dont.

Old 08-15-2007, 11:24 PM   #8
(female)

Laura973 HB User

no Dizzy, it's not just you. I know exactly what you mean. I'm afraid of taking anything now, but I've found that once I try something for a few days, such as antihistimes, the exhaustion wears off. But the idea of taking more medication has my anxiety going.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:31 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

missy7777 HB Usermissy7777 HB Usermissy7777 HB User

My non-medication suggestion for allergies - allergy shots, avoid what you are allergic to if possible, wear a mask while cleaning, don't smoke/stay away from smoke and wash out your sinus x2 a day. If you are allergic to dust mites, you need to encase your pillows and mattresses and dust your sleeping quarters very well, and wash your linens in hot water.

Closed Thread