It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2007, 07:20 PM   #1
(male)

jemmiez HB User
Can doing your own modifications of a VRT exercise help??

As I said in a previous post I never really got much of a reaction while doing any of the exercises described in Charlottes VRT post....It is my understanding that the VRT is supposed to stir you up and that it is beneficial when this happens..

long story short , since one of my symptoms is feeling a sensation of moving or bouncing while laying down on my sides with my eyes closed, should I do vrt exercises in this position??

Today I tried doing the business card exercise keeping the card still while focusing on one letter and moving my head left to right...while doing this it was the first time i seemed to really get a noticible reaction to an exercise.
Will doing this exercise benefit me at all in regaining vestibular function?? or will i simply just make myself sick??

if anyone knows please chime in... also I apologize for all of the questions lately I just wasted 6 weeks with an inexperienced Physical Therapist and saw no results whatsoever...

Old 08-11-2007, 08:53 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Jaxzilla HB User
Re: Can doing your own modifications of a VRT exercise help??

These VRTS will strengthen your vestibular system. Keep doing them twice a day until you've been 100% for several months. I had the same symptoms laying down, I felt like I was floating, even standing I felt the same way. They work. I no longer have those symptoms. You may have to do these for months or even a year or two, but I swear by them, and other people on this board do to. This is what got me to where I am today.

Not to sure if this is in Charlottes VRTS, but close your eyes and balance on one foot with your arms straight out. Move your head left to right. Try to balance for 30 sec-to 1 minute. It will be hard, even if you dont have a vestibular problem, these would be hard anyway. Then do the other foot. Do this exercise on a soft surface. This exercise is great!!! You will get well!

Cathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2007, 01:25 AM   #3
(male)

jemmiez HB User

Thank you so much I was actually trying something similar to that I've been trying to balance on one foot while my eyes are closed but I never tried to move my head and I've never tried to do it as longer than 20 secs so I will absolutely add that to my regimen... once again thank you so much, I am so glad I joined this board as I've finally gained the tools to fight this problem instead of lying around and just whining about it...lol take care

Matt

Old 08-12-2007, 02:29 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Joni9921 HB UserJoni9921 HB User

Have you been assessed for BBPV? Are your symptoms mostly positionally related? If you haven't been checked out for BPPV you may need to do that first. The VRTs listed won't address that, you would need the Epley to address the specific problem.

As for the VRTs, if you don't get symptoms from an exercises you need to up the anty, increase the level of diffuclty with making balance more challenging, doing it longer, adding patterns in the background, turning your head, etc.

Good luck!

Old 08-12-2007, 09:40 PM   #5
(male)

jemmiez HB User

My main problems is imbalance pretty much feeling drunk when walking and I have to say I when I am laying on my right or left side I with eyes open or especially closed I do feel noticably dizzy.. ...that would be just my luck that all I needed was the epley and ive been wasting my time with the VRTs...

If I get symptoms while lying on both sides is it possible to perform the epley ?? do I have to do it in both directions or would that be counterproductive??

Old 08-13-2007, 07:40 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Joni9921 HB UserJoni9921 HB User

Have you been tested for BPPV yet? You want to have the epley done properly and when you are assessed for BPPV they will know which side is affected. The VRTs won't hurt, especially considering you have the imbalance.

Closed Thread