It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2007, 03:49 PM   #1
(female)

catcopy HB User
I'm going to have an ENG - what should I expect?

I've had an audiogram, went to see an ENT and now I'm scheduled for an ENG on Thursday. What exactly will they do? They told me not to eat or drink anything for 3 hours prior and to expect to stay 1 1/2 - 2 hrs. Will this test make me "sick dizzy" or what? They told me I didn't need to have someone come with me but what happens if my "dizzy spell" does not go away as soon as they think it will? I HATE being dizzy as I know you all do too. It's too bad they can't do all this testing closer together so a person can get results and hopefully feel better. This "testing" has been going on for over a month now and I bet this ENG won't be the last. I would imagine a CAT scan or an MRI will be next. I'm extremely claustraphobic so I'm not looking forward to an MRI opened or closed!!!!!! Some days I feel pretty good and other days I feel "unsteady" and off balance. NOT FUN!!!!!!!!

Old 08-12-2007, 04:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

joy78 HB User
Re: I'm going to have an ENG - what should I expect?

When I had my ENG test they first had me tracking a red light with my eyes for a while. That was fine. Then the caloric testing came. for me they blew warm/cold air into my ear to stimulate my vestibular system. You wear goggles so it's totally dark. They record you eye movements. I got extremely dizzy when they blew air in my ears. I freaked out. BUT once they stopped blowing air in my ear, I was fine. It went away pretty quickly. I'm telling you this because I want you to be prepared to feel dizzy. that is a normal reaction. You should be dizzy when they blow air (or water) in your ears. Just know that once they are done, it goes away. that may be why they don't want you eating, so you won't throw up if you get really dizzy. It's no pleasant. I hated it, but I was perfectly fine afterwards. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2007, 05:32 PM   #3
(female)

catcopy HB User

Thanks Joy for your response. When I went to my ENT doc last week he had me follow his finger slowly. Then all of a sudden he moved it real fast and I got lightheaded - I was lightheaded for 2 days after! A few years ago I got water in my ear and had a horrid earache that lasted for an entire day. I hope that doesn't happen again if they put water in my ears. Do you wear goggles for the entire test? Like I said earlier, I'm extremely claustrophogic and I don't know how I'd handle that darkness.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

joy78 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcopy View Post
Thanks Joy for your response. When I went to my ENT doc last week he had me follow his finger slowly. Then all of a sudden he moved it real fast and I got lightheaded - I was lightheaded for 2 days after! A few years ago I got water in my ear and had a horrid earache that lasted for an entire day. I hope that doesn't happen again if they put water in my ears. Do you wear goggles for the entire test? Like I said earlier, I'm extremely claustrophogic and I don't know how I'd handle that darkness.
You do wear goggles the whole time but you can see through them until they cover them up for the caloric tests. It's not pleasant, but you will be okay once it is over. Go there and do what you can. If it's too much and you need to get out of there, no one is forcing you to stay. you can always come back again. Plus, talk with your doctor about this, but i think all you will get from this test is whether and/or how much vestibular damage you may have. they can't fix the damage, so it's really just for information. I could be wrong, so double check on that. So in reality if I'm right it's not absolutely critical to have this test done.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:44 PM   #5
(female)

Juliette allen HB User

I have been told to expect the Caloric test alone to take 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Is this a mistake or is is the whole ENG test that takes this long? If the caloric test takes all this time how exactly does it take so long?

Old 11-03-2007, 12:49 PM   #6
(female)

Juliette allen HB User

Cat, I've just had the MRI and like you I'm pretty claustrophobic. I got through it though, mainly by keeping my eyes shut the whole time. Also you have a panic button that you can press anytime to be released if it all gets too much for you. I wasn't looking forward to it one bit I can tell you and if I could possibly swap 10 MRI scans and have them instead of my forthcoming water test I would. Y ou are actually allowed sedation for the MRI so it may well be worth having a word with your Doctor and getting a sedative maybe.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:50 PM   #7
(female)

Juliette allen HB User

Can you stop at any time even if there is water in your ear at the time?

Old 11-03-2007, 02:55 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wowwwweeee HB User
Smile Re: I'm going to have an ENG - what should I expect?

Hi,

The ENG testing OVERALL takes about 1.5 hours. You start with simple eye tracking. You'll sit in a chair (that does not move) and they'll place some funky goggles on your head. Some of the eye tracking is with the goggles blocking out the light, and some is not. You do the best you can, and if you are having trouble tracking with you eyes at any time, you can tell the technician. Sometimes the technician will ask you if you can track faster, either by moving your eyes only, or by moving your head back and forth and keeping your view of sight still. Again, do only what you can. Since you are in a protected environment, try to do as best as you can, even if you are nervous.

The caloric part of the testing is usually done last. The reaction they are looking for IS that you become dizzy. The water is not placed directly into your ear alone. A tiny balloon in gently placed in the opening of your ear (not pushed in) and that is slowly filled with a little bit of water. There are usually four tests: two for each ear, one warm water and one cool water.

You are allowed to stop the caloric part of the test any time you want to. The dizziness that comes with the filling of the little balloon will increase, and then once the balloon is deflated, the dizziness will slow down and then you probably will be no worse afterwards.

It can be pretty intimidating, because once you deal with dizziness, it's very anxiety provoking. So the idea of being made dizzy is very scary. But the process is tolerable, once you know what to expect.

And remember, the technicians practice on each other, so each person who tests you, already has been through the ENG process - they know how daunting it is and usually are very patient.

You can also bring someone with you, if you want the support. They can sit next to you and hold your hand or talk to you during the caloric part, especially.

The MRI is a very good tool to rule out other possible causes of dizziness. The MRI takes about 40 minutes, whether you are in an enclosed machine or not (I have done both). You are allowed to keep your clothes on, and just remove make-up, jewelry and glasses from your neck, up.

You will lie on a moveable table and you put your head in a plastic, open helmet (this is used as a marker for the MRI x-ray). You will slowly be slid into the machine head first, but only as far as necessary to have your head in line with the x-ray part of the machine. The majority of your body will be sticking outside. You will be given earphones because they will play music for you, and usually there is a some mild air blowing inside the machine so it doesn't feel stuffy. There is a microphone inside the machine, so the technician can talk to you and tell you when the next x-ray will be taken. You can also talk to the technician. The x-rays are taken in groups, and the machine makes a knocking sound as the pictures are being taken. The knocks start slow and get fast. It's not unpleasant, just a little loud (but tolerable).

What works well is if you simply keep your eyes closed as soon as you lie down (this was hard for me because I would get spinny dizzy lying flat with my eyes closed most times). Then, you are not aware of the inside of the machine at all, so it won't feel as closed in because you are not looking at the machine walls (believe me, it WORKS).

Also, you are allowed to bring someone with you, so they can stand or sit on the outside and be able to touch your leg or hold your hand.

You can stop the MRI process at any time by asking to come out of the machine, but once they stop, you will have to start all over again the next time.

Before your MRI, practice at home by lying flat somewhere with a cloth over your face and with your eyes closed. THAT is exactly how it is going to feel when you are having the MRI.

Sometimes the anticipation is worse than the testing.

xo

Last edited by Wowwwweeee; 11-03-2007 at 02:59 PM.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:12 PM   #9
(female)

Juliette allen HB User

This is a really helpful and informative posting. As far as I was aware I was only going for the caloric water testing but it would seem that this eye tracking stuff is a standard part of it. I've had so far three very severe attacks of dizziness which have nearly knocked me off my feet and made me very nauseous. In addition between times I've been continuously giddy/dizzy and unsteady. This has been going on now for about 10 weeks and there doesn't seem to be any improvement. Is putting myself through this water test likely to pinpoint the problem or is there any chance it could be something else?

Old 11-03-2007, 10:58 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

alexiwildchild HB User

not trying to scare you, but the eng that i had was not pleasant at all...and like wowee said that it is supposed to see if you get dizzy...i did. i would suggest you bring someone with you, i couldn't drive home myself because i was just really nauseated. and with the rotary chair test, there must be more than one kind, because my chair DID move around and i was nauseas when i got out, but nothing like the ENG. a few hours after the appointment, i was feeling back to my normal dizzy self, but felt pretty yucky for the following 3-4 days. i've heard it justs affects everyone differently, so good luck to you! The ENG water test is (from what i've been told) supposed to see if you have any dysfunction in one or both sides of your inner ear---or if one is just functioning less than the other...so i am assuming it is supposed to give an idea if your problems are all related to your inner ear...

Closed Thread