It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2007, 12:24 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzyandsad HB User
Dr's thoughts....

Ok my dr is nothing if not blunt. I called and asked her how long this could last. She said in some cases it can last forever. But most are 3 months and she said well you should be seeing the end soon and I was like well it has been 5 months. FOREVER?! I wanted hope from her dont tell me FOREVER!!

Old 08-13-2007, 02:03 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Joni9921 HB UserJoni9921 HB User
Re: Dr's thoughts....

i believe that when it lasts "forever" either there is something else going on (MAV, etc) or proper VRT wasn't done. i'm sure there are exceptions, but that's how i look at it. and forever isn't acceptable. so you fight tooth and nail to solve the puzzle and work your butt off to heal yourself day in and day out. but it takes time, time, and more time. its unpredictable. when you get settled in feeling better you feel worse. but keep working and again you will feel better. and your system will be stronger for it. its up and down with this thing but that's the path to recovery.

you called the dr because you're nervous and want it to end. but i think you already know- you have your grip on this thing, you just have to stay patient, keep going with the exercises, and you will get through it. and we'll all be here to give you an extra kick in the butt when you need it!

hope you're having a better day,
Joni

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2007, 02:25 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzyandsad HB User

Thanks I know I guess I didnt realize how ok i had been feeling till i got hit with this bad spell. It is just so tiring i know it is up and down but i just wish i knew how long it would be. a year....two years..... a lifetime. A year used to sound impossible to me and now I am like OMG that would be great if I was completely healed come next march....

Old 08-13-2007, 02:29 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

missy7777 HB Usermissy7777 HB Usermissy7777 HB User

D&S - Have you started treatment for migraines yet? Or are you sticking strictly to the notion that you have labyrinthitis and that the VRT's are going to help you? Since it has been 5 months, you really might want to approach the real possibility that migraines are causing your distress/dizziness/anxiety, etc.

I would seriously consider seeing a neurologist and finding out some treatments for migraines - including eliminating triggers in your diet and lifestyle. You don't have to start on medication right away - you can start out with eliminating triggers and see if that helps your symptoms. It may be you do need meds though, and you may not progress any further at this point without them.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

charlotte67 HB User

d&S most doctors don't have a clue about vestibular issues.

Don't listen to her.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:53 PM   #6
(male)

kevin113 HB User

Hi guys,
After 4 and half months and seeing 2 eye neuros and 2 regular neuros I am finally going back to original doc that treated me. Both docs want me to see an ear neuro but that takes forever to get an appoint. I want his opinion on his first diagnosis of having an ear infection.
Hope you are all well, for me its been 4 long frustrating months. Hang in there Charlotte
Kevin

Old 08-13-2007, 05:32 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User

D&S,

As said above forever cannot be possible unless (in my opinion) there is some untreated central issue going on. But you're only at the 5 month mark. The median time for VN to heal according to some medics is 2 years. They've said it's like recovering from a stroke (I'm still not sure if I believe that VN can go on for so long). Subs took some 15 months to snap out of this and return to 100% after doing tons of VRT and finally getting a vision problem corrected. On the other hand, if it's a central issue like migraine, it could keep going on for a very long time until you hit it with meds. I'm also concerned about your stress levels. Anxiety feeds this stuff - it's like throwing fresh meat to a cage full of lions. You could either get some CBT therapy to turn down the stress levels or throw an SSRI at this while you ride it out. The SSRI could hit this on two fronts - kill migraine activity (if it's there) and kill your anxiety + raise your spirits. You really have to grab the bull by the horns with this garbage otherwise it will knock you around relentlessly.

Best .... Scott

Old 08-13-2007, 05:47 PM   #8
(male)

kevin113 HB User

For me its driving a car. I cant, and I may lose my job as a cop in NYC. I hope it get better.
Any one else have this problem
Kevin

Old 08-13-2007, 06:58 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzyandsad HB User

yeah kevin i am not really driving but will need to start come september as my daughter needs to be driven to school twice a week.

scott....yeah the anxiety sucks but is only an issue everyonce in a while which was why it was so disconcerting last night (2 am panic attack) cause it had not bothered me for at least a month.but if it does bother me again I will not hesitate to take a valium. I did in the begining cause I didnt want to take meds and it was bothering me a lot. But besides last night I hadnt taken one since maybe begining of July. ANd I only take 1 milligram. So if it does pop up will take one. Dont want to try any other meds cause the only thing I dont have side effects to is tylenol and most time the side effects are worse than the LABS. I tried an anti depressant and every time I do my skin feels like it is on fire so trying to be med free but didnt realize how good my bad days were even till i had these bad days lol so i must be doing something right....although I am a little scared to go to bed tonight afraid i will have a panic attack like last night but have valium on my night stand wish me luck....

Old 08-14-2007, 04:29 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

charlotte67 HB User

Dizzy, how about trying a yoga tape? Your anxiety has been an issue from day one (so you've stated)...I think a natural way to relax might be your solution?

Closed Thread