It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2007, 06:35 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

tummy2 HB User
Treadmill rebound symptoms

Hello all,

I have been running on the treadmill for the last 2 days and each day I believe has got progressively worse. I dont feel so hot today, but its not like I was feeling great anyways.... Varying degrees of symptoms I guess.

I have been running for about 30 minutes..

Should I discontinue and see if it calms or push through it?

Tummy

Old 08-15-2007, 06:50 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Jaxzilla HB User
Re: Treadmill rebound symptoms

Hi Tummy, I was told by my PT long time ago that walking or running on the treadmill is great VRT. This is what I think.....you decomp when you are sick, so that says to me that you need to compensate more. With the symptoms you are getting now you are challenging your vestibular system, which I think is a good thing. Do you do any VRTS? I would probably start slow on the treadmill, walking first and then start running once you dont having anymore symptoms from walking. I think you are just overloading your vestibular system. I think what you are doing is a goodthing. I believe even though you decomp whe you get sick, eventually that will go away. But what I would really do is VRTS and anything that challengs your vestibular system for 100% recovery.

Cathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2007, 07:03 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

charlotte67 HB User

I totally agree! I started badminton over the past month...and noticed my symptoms ramped up. That said, this Sunday I have my first "I think I feel normal" few hours.

I think they go hand in hand. Challenge your system...strengthen it.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:58 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

tummy2 HB User

Hi Jax,

I used to do VRT, but have stopped it a long time ago... I started running last year, but stopped during this last blip... I am on the computer for 9 hours a day and take frequent 10 minute walks during the day. I am trying to keep as active as I possibly can.. My wife takes me shopping at stores and other things.... I feel mostly miserable doing it, but I push on.. I did not want to add anything else to my routine feeling as if I was overdoing it.

I may be overloading my system.. I am going to try and slow down a bit, and increase more gradually.

Charlotte, Thats kool that you had your first good hours....I hope you see more and more soon.

My other reason is that I have become really lazy with this feeling.. I slouch and feel it.. not to mention the weight gain from this illness. -- My vice is food, and with this crap feeling, I really dont feel like going through the extra effort in preparing healthier meals vs. just takeout or somethihg ughhh....... What a nightmare... I hope for a few good days soon....... I really need the break.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:38 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Joni9921 HB UserJoni9921 HB User

The treadmill can be very overwhelming to the system. I wouldn't discotinue it altogether, but give yourself a few days to recover, then start it a little slower- either take walk breaks between running, run for a shorter time, run at a slower pace. And then as you compensate build back up. Are you doing this at the gym? If so, what about doing the treadmill shorter and then do a stationary bike to continue exercising but calm your system.

My symptoms finally stopped increasing from working out (for the most part). It took about 6 weeks of consistently doing it to adapt. I feel much better being in better shape now- its something I can control in all of this.

And yes, I think you can overstimulate the system. I think that has contributed to my problems as my job is way overstimulating and I prob went back too fast.

Hope you feel better soon!
Joni

Old 08-16-2007, 05:55 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

tummy2 HB User

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I ran again last night, but this time I mostly walked at a faster pace with a steeper gradient. Dont feel the greatest right now, but I hope it calms within the next few days.

Right now my neck feels like it is completely stiff and painful and I have varying amounts of pressure in my head... Ughhhh kinda gross.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:12 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

charlotte67 HB User

My pt gave me an exercise to relieve that pressure...

Try it or not...here is what I did.

Stand up against a wall...place your head and shoulders up against the wall, gently/relaxed. Keep chin lined up with front of body...then move chin up and down without moving head much.

THis is to release the muscles in the neck.

Let me know if it helps.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:50 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Jaxzilla HB User

Tummy, you will get through this. That is great that you are running/walking on the treadmill. I am at the point where I can run or ride my bike without much symptoms afterwards. You'll get there and you'll get to the point where illness wont have an affect at all. Maybe you should start VRTs again. I know for me it took a very longtime to see improvement, but I dont think I would be anywhere near where I am today if i didnt do VRTS. I think they've been a life saver for me, and I know for others.

Hope you get over this very soon!!
Cathy

Closed Thread