It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2007, 10:39 AM   #1
(female)

seveppa HB User
Just started looking for help, very discouraged

I have been dealing with my symptoms - vertigo, stabbing ear pain, fullness, nausea, fatigue - for about 3 years now. Things have been getting worse for the past 6 or 7 months. I have been seeing my doc regularly for recurrent ear infections (5 last year) and she thinks the culprit is my sinuses (I do have "lively" allergies) and we have been trying different allergy meds at varying doses, but no relief. Last month she sent me to an ENT and I was very discouraged. The ENT made light of my symptoms and seemed to think that because I don't feel so ill I need to go to bed, that I did not really have vertigo (I do get nausea, and pretty bad, but don't actually vomit and usually just force myself to go on with my day - but I do that whenever I am sick!). ENT was just very dismissive. Went back to my doc and she gave me another referral to a different ENT, but I haven't made the appointment yet because I am so discouraged and afraid I will get the same attitude again.
Almost on a daily basis I feel off balance, sick, tired, dizzy and just not myself. I have ear pain, sounds and muffled hearing. I cannot go on an escalator and I have trouble walking without bumping into things, I sometimes cannot sleep due to the spinning sensation and lately, reading has become difficult as the words seem to be moving - my eyes feel like they are "bouncing" around my head. This is all having a negative impact on my life and I just want to know how best to deal with it. I don't care if it is caused by a true inner ear disorder or my sinuses or allergies, I just would like some help and treatment. I am wondering if anyone else had trouble getting a diagnosis? Any suggestions? I am a 45 yr old female, single mother with a demanding profession. I do not want, and cannot really afford to, go traisping from doctor to doctor. Any feedback would be greatly appreicated!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2007, 12:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

charlotte67 HB User
Re: Just started looking for help, very discouraged

You need an ent or neuro that deals with vestibular issues. Don't let this idiot stop you. I had a little one as this thing started...and honestly, my Ent was the best.

I am not 100% yet...but I am so much better.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:04 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Subs30 HB UserSubs30 HB User
Talking Re: Just started looking for help, very discouraged

Hi Seveppa

...."I am wondering if anyone else had trouble getting a diagnosis?"...

Just about all who post or have posted here.....

...."Any suggestions?"....

The Doc u need to see---to resolve---what it is,i.e., "true inner ear disorder or my sinuses or allergies"---or something else is a:

NEUROTOLOGIST

That is a Neurologist who continues(usually under a fellowship) for an additional three years---u may luck out with a ENT, Primary Doc, etc....and many have trod that path---usually ending up at/with a Neruotologist...if their Medical Plan(for USA) will support it.....

Most of the symptoms u have posted are likely caused by an Vestibular Injury---which(depending on the type) can follow/have happen as a result of sinuses or allergies problems---since they can support the type of virus that cause some of the Vestibular Injuries....the one that not associated with Inner Ear(Vestibular) injuries---that often(occasionally it is) is:

...."stabbing ear pain"...

The rest(or almost):

..."I feel off balance, sick, tired, dizzy and just not myself........, sounds and muffled hearing. I cannot go on an escalator and I have trouble walking without bumping into things, I sometimes cannot sleep due to the spinning sensation and lately, reading has become difficult as the words seem to be moving - my eyes feel like they are "bouncing" around my head."....

Especially the:

..."vertigo"....

Are!

.... I do not want, and cannot really afford to, go traisping from doctor to doctor.".....

In the first post on the board "Sticky" is just about all the "Baseline Data" on Vestibular Injuries---from the best---Northwestern Univ, UCLA, John Hopkins, Univ of Penn, Centers in London, etc...it can help(along with those who post here)---to work ur way through---this very difficult and little understood area---use it!

Last edited by Subs30; 08-15-2007 at 01:07 PM.

Closed Thread