It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2007, 06:26 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

missy7777 HB Usermissy7777 HB Usermissy7777 HB User
Migraines & VRT's?

I know I've read about this before but frankly I don't have the energy to go searching the boards so I'm going to ask again.

Migraine sufferers - have any of you ventured into doing VRT's? When I asked Baloh about them, he sort of rolled his eyes and said not to do them - they would only make me worse. BUT, I am so tired of feeling dizzy all of the time! Computers, reading, riding a bike, swimming, etc. The other day I played a few rounds of ping pong...BARF-ARAMA afterwards. I felt so lame and dizzy afterwards and it seems to still be hanging on ever since.

So, you migraineurs - do any of you do the actual VRT's and if so, did it help? I think I'll pass on them for now, but I wanted to see what you all thought of them. My vestibular system seems so bloody weak it's ridiculous!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2007, 07:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

stargrave HB Userstargrave HB Userstargrave HB User
Re: Migraines & VRT's?

Here is my opinion:

If yo happen to have some sort of vestibular dysfunction(like a VN in my case), do them, they will help you a lot, you feel improvement, slowly but surely, and you can't go wrong.

If MAV is the only condition you have, don't, because it's not proven that they can actually do something for that condition, and if the doc advice is against it because of a possible trigger effect, I'd stay away from VRT if I were you.

Nevertheless, exercise and activity, combined with some diet, helped me a lot when I suffered classic migraine with aura, so you could give it a try to that, walking and being active is a VRT of sorts, so you could start there to see what happens.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2007, 08:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User

Hi Missy,

I would tend to agree with Baloh as I cannot see how VRT can help when a migraine attack is on. The inner ear is a mess already due to the migraine activity without throwing more at it. However, this study showed that some did improve with VRT so who knows - see the thread:

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=515228[/url]

Scott

Old 08-15-2007, 09:47 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

alexiwildchild HB User

hey missy, hope you start feeling better soon! i don't remember if i asked you....did baloh say it's possible to be dizzy like 24/7 or have the weird visual issues all the time for extended weeks and it's all due to migraine?? i didn't really get to ask my neurologist, actually, i forgot i failed to ask too if VRT's would be of any assistance...if they determine that's actually MY problem.

hope you get some answers and start feeling well soon

Old 08-16-2007, 09:14 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Yes, Baloh said the dizziness can certainly be caused by migraines but did not go into specifics. I have an appointment today with a different neurologist who will become my regular guy since he is local. I will ask him because I wonder the same thing. The book I am reading makes sense though. Basically it says that as long as we are above our threshold, we will feel symptoms of migraine (dizziness, ear fullness, etc) because our blood vessels are swollen. So yes, our inner ear areas can be swollen constantly because we need to get BELOW OUR THRESHOLD. How do we get below our threshold? Maintaining a STRICT migraine diet (not just avoiding caffeine, chocolate, MSG), exercising, and getting OFF quick fix medicines like Excedrin, Ativan, Valium, Vicodin, Imetrex, etc). And if that doesn't work, then we look into preventive medications. I am starting out the the very strict migraine diet to see if that helps some. I must say (even though I don't want to admit it because I still feel lousy), I think it might be working.

My appointment is in 3 hours and I will ask this guy WHY the constant dizziness and he what he says. The dizziness is the worse freakin part of this illness in my opinion. Cant stand it!

Old 08-16-2007, 09:24 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Thanks Scott for the reference post. It sounds like though, if I want to go the VRT route in order to stabalize this constant dizziness, I need to be on meds first otherwise I might be needlessly suffering and possibly even triggering migraines (Baloh). Might not be wise to try the VRT's until I get the migraines more under control. Which is kinda silly because once I feel better, I won't need the VRT's. eye yi yi!!

Old 08-16-2007, 03:41 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

alexiwildchild HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by missy7777 View Post
Yes, Baloh said the dizziness can certainly be caused by migraines but did not go into specifics. I have an appointment today with a different neurologist who will become my regular guy since he is local. I will ask him because I wonder the same thing. The book I am reading makes sense though. Basically it says that as long as we are above our threshold, we will feel symptoms of migraine (dizziness, ear fullness, etc) because our blood vessels are swollen. So yes, our inner ear areas can be swollen constantly because we need to get BELOW OUR THRESHOLD. How do we get below our threshold? Maintaining a STRICT migraine diet (not just avoiding caffeine, chocolate, MSG), exercising, and getting OFF quick fix medicines like Excedrin, Ativan, Valium, Vicodin, Imetrex, etc). And if that doesn't work, then we look into preventive medications. I am starting out the the very strict migraine diet to see if that helps some. I must say (even though I don't want to admit it because I still feel lousy), I think it might be working.

My appointment is in 3 hours and I will ask this guy WHY the constant dizziness and he what he says. The dizziness is the worse freakin part of this illness in my opinion. Cant stand it!

i agree missy, this weird dizziness that's constant and in my case, the weird shaky vision is the worst part. i'm glad you are getting one closer to you for convenience, espeically when you are feeling bad. please let me know, i'm very interested to hear what he thinks! if not, i wll talk to my neurologist tomorrow-supposed to have my MRI and myabe EEG results back--and i will ask him then.

i haven't given much thought to the diet, i guess i will have to look more into that or get a book.

hope you get some answers to get well soon!

OK....just saw your post on the other thread...maybe my doc will let me know his take on that as well. hope the topamax goes well for you. let us know!

Last edited by alexiwildchild; 08-16-2007 at 03:59 PM.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:58 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Thanks Alexi - unfortunately my new neurologist wasn't super knowledgeable in the realm of dizzy. I mean, sure, he said migraines can cause dizziness, but he thinks my dizziness is excessive. He did mention "repositioning exercises" to try if the medication doesn't work. He gave me Topamax and wants me to try it one week before my cycle and a few days afterwards.

But I still don't want to try it yet. I am really dragging my feet on starting on meds for some reason - I'm just scared I guess. So far I am doing the very strict migraine diet, taking coenzyme Q10, and trying not to take other meds to interfere with healing (Ativan, Vicodin, Compozine, etc.). I will say, I don't know if it is coincidence or what, but my ear fullness has mysteriously calmed down in the past few days. Meaning, I don't hear popping every time I swallow. Still there sometimes, but noticeably less. I can't help but wonder and pray that just maybe, the diet is reducing the swollen blood vessels. ??

Anyway, let me know what your neuro says too. We'll have to keep each other posted since we seem to have similar stories!

Last edited by missy7777; 08-16-2007 at 03:59 PM.

Closed Thread