It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2007, 01:17 PM   #1
(female)

Laura973 HB User
ok, enough is enough. Input needed by all.

After going through all the posts on this site it seems to me that the people here who have the following symptoms of brain fog, light headedness/dizzy type feelings, fluid draining from ears, fatigue, on and off ear pressure with popping and clicking sounds and anxiety have a middle ear infection which is causing swelling in the eustacian tubes. When we do things like drink strong tea or walk or take hot baths, we feel temporarily better because we're relieving some of the pressure in our eustacian tubes. The reason why these things don't help permanently is perhaps because the ear infection is still there. I've come to the conclusion, that unless we erradicate the infection, we may always have these symptoms or just have them for longer than normal. While we try and get rid of the infection, we have to do something at the same time where the swelling is being brought down in our eustacian tubes.
I understand that all of us have tried things like antibiotics and what not to get rid of the infection, but I need everyone's input as to what exactly they have tried and most importantly for how many days/weeks things have been tried. What eased symptoms for you and what does your usual diet consist of? Perhaps if we can see some sort of a pattern, then maybe we can all try various things targetted specially at helping our ear thing. If it's viral, we need to find the right anti-viral treatment. If it's bacterial, same thing. Also i'm trying to determine if we are in this state because we haven't given certain things enough of a chance to work because it didn't give us instant relief. If we want our lives back, we need to work together and figure this out.

I've tried:
-About 5 days worth of antibiotic ear drops and 3 days of oral antibiotics.
-Strong tea. About 2 cups a day. Helps a bit.
-A tincture of echinacea, golden seal, cayenne, bee propolis, wild indigo a few times a day for a few days. Supposed to be every 3 hrs for about a week.
-Decongestants and antihistimines. One a day for a few days here and there. Would sort of help but made me too wiped.
-multi-vitamin and b-vitamin complex with passion flower, valerian and what not in it. Keep taking it for a few days here and there, then forget.
-anti-inflammatories -have helped the most.
-Tylenol -does nothing.
-Usual diet consists of: hot cereal (oatmeal, kamut or brown rice), apples, bananas, rice milk, chicken, rice, whole wheat crackers, peanut butter.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2007, 02:51 PM   #2
(male)

montana HB User
Re: ok, enough is enough. Input needed by all.

I've got a lot of the symptoms that you described. I am also having lots of good days now and hopefully this stuff is ending for me. I started feeling better with:

1. VRT's twice a day. Never skip any.
2. Lots of exercise no matter how bad I felt.
3. Staying busy with work no matter how bad I felt.

Staying busy and working through all of the yucky feelings kept my mind off of things. The worst thing I could do was take it easy. When I did the bad feelings took me over and all I could do was think about how I felt. I found that no matter how hard it was to push through the bad days I did it anyway. At the end of the day I felt like I had took another step in not letting it beat me. You'll get through this stuff too.

Good luck,
Mitch

Old 08-22-2007, 07:47 AM   #3
(female)

Andrea Love HB User
Re: ok, enough is enough. Input needed by all.

Hi Laura well done you for being so assertive. Iv had this problem for nearly two years and am more or less learning to live with it. To cut a long story short, I dont tolerate dairy products very well and I had been eating a lot of yoghurt when I took an ear infection, possible allergy related. The infection got worse and I had to have four lots of antibiotics over a period of more than five weeks. The last lot of antibiotics were really strong and I was completely floored for a few days. After the last of the antibiotics the infection seemed to settle but I still had fluid in my ear from the infection and also the tinnitus which arrived with the infection. Then one day my ear blocked when driving, it was really painful and the diagnosis was etd caused by the infection. Since that time Iv seen two ent surgeons privately over the two years and have been subscribed nasonex and also very strong steroid nose drops (apparently 10x stronger than nasonex). After the initial infection I took another 7 infections within six months and now, thanks to the surgeon who agreed to do the op on the NHS for me I have a grommet in my ear and am infection free! The tinnitus still persists, as does the the crackling and popping in my ear. Steam inhalation several times a day is great for opening the tubes and letting them drain. Combining steam, with decongestant tabs and steroid nose spray for a couple of months should really help. My problem was that the fluid could not drain from my ear before another infection set in because my system was so run down. Take plently of vitamins, get enough sleep and eat as healthy as you can. Walking helps to loosen mucous so if a cold has made things worse this should help. AVOID dairy products if you are having etd and ear infections as this encourages mucous. That means chocolate too. Avoid sugar as well as this also promotes mucous. Mucous is the main problem with etd as it clogs the tube. Drink plently of water as this eases the ear problem, loosens mucous and keeps you hydrated. It also lessens the noise of tinnitus if you have this too. Im going to try to modify my diet as Iv been eating lots of chocolate and sugar and apart from putting on my weight my ear problems seem to be getting worse again. Hope Iv helped a bit. Im not an expert but I would say that Iv had a terrible time over the last couple of years and for the first time in so long I feel a bit more positive about my future, living with this awful condition and tinnitus Andrea x

Last edited by Andrea Love; 08-22-2007 at 07:48 AM.

Closed Thread