It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2007, 10:32 PM   #1
(female)

Earthangel HB User
Meniere's Disease....my success story.

Here is my success story....hoping it will help someone with Meniere's Disease. I have learned that everyone reacts to this disease differently....some more severe than others. What has worked for me, may not work for everyone. However, I do believe it is worth a try. After having severe attacks that lasted 8 hours, vomiting, room spinning, dizzy, unable to walk, (I never experienced any ringing or fullness in my ears) in February, 2007, I was diagnosed by my general practioner that I had Meniere's Disease. He wanted me to see a head and neck surgeon, Dr. Howard, which I did on May 23, 2007. Dr. Howard immediately put me on a very low salt diet. No more than 1500mg of salt per day, which is less than 3/4 teaspoon. I was told to keep a record of the salt content (under 1500mg) of the food I ate for the next two weeks, and also keep a record of the normal food I WOULD HAVE eaten. I kept my salt intake under 1500mg per day. I would have eaten 3500-5000mg per day on my normal diet. Today, my salt intake is between 500-1000mg per day.

I have also had a VNG test (wasn't as bad as I thought) and a hearing test. My VNG test showed a weakness in my right ear typical of Meniere's Disease. My hearing test was normal.

Today, I am 93 days without any vertigo attacks. To say I am thrilled is an understatement. Has this whole low salt diet been easy? I have to say it is a lot more work. Has it all been worth it? You bet it has! However, after 93 days on this low salt diet, I am used to it. I have had no problem whatsoever maintaining my diet. I know what I can and cannot eat. This is the way I will live for the rest of my life. Now, I know there is no cure for Meniere's Disease and I probably will never be out of the woods, however, the fact that I have gone 93 days without a vertigo attack is enough of a miracle for me to continue to give up any food that comes in paper, plastic, styrofoam, cardboard, or glass and restaurants.

To top it all off, I have lost 10lbs. To any of you who have been diagnosed with Meniere's Disease, please at least give this a try. What in the world do you have to lose? If any of you would like further information on a low salt diet, just ****** "Low Salt foods" and you should be able to get the sodium counts for many foods. Just keep track of what you eat and the sodium/salt count and keep it under 1500mg per day. If I can help you with recipes or menus, please let me know.

I wish you all a miracle in your own situation.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2007, 07:41 PM   #2
(female)

2depressed2tell HB User
Re: Meniere's Disease....my success story.

I was diagnosed in May 2006 after having a VNG test. The doctor told me to do a low salt diet but never gave me a number to stay under. They also put me on a water pill. I'm not one that is good about taking medicine even if it would help me, so it didn't last long. Lately I've noticed my vertigo attacks are coming more often and I am having to have people repeat things to me often. I think it may be going to my other ear as well. It's kind of scary and its not heard of often. When I can, I try and buy items that are unsalted or reduced sodium, but there is not a big selection out there. I don't generally salt my food, but I know that what I eat is most likely loaded with it. I don't know how to manage a low salt diet. I don't like to cook and generally eat frozen meals which are loaded with sodium. Your story lets me know that it can help, maybe I can give it a try again.

Thanks
Teresa

Old 08-26-2007, 08:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

charlotte67 HB User

My physical therapist said that PT exercises can help cut the attacks down, and shorten their duration. Have you been told that by your doctors?

Old 08-28-2007, 09:53 PM   #4
(female)

Earthangel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlotte67 View Post
My physical therapist said that PT exercises can help cut the attacks down, and shorten their duration. Have you been told that by your doctors?
My doctor never mentioned any exercises to me at all. Just this very low sodium diet. He did say he wanted me to try this first as the success rate is pretty good.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:58 PM   #5
(female)

Earthangel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2depressed2tell View Post
I was diagnosed in May 2006 after having a VNG test. The doctor told me to do a low salt diet but never gave me a number to stay under. They also put me on a water pill. I'm not one that is good about taking medicine even if it would help me, so it didn't last long. Lately I've noticed my vertigo attacks are coming more often and I am having to have people repeat things to me often. I think it may be going to my other ear as well. It's kind of scary and its not heard of often. When I can, I try and buy items that are unsalted or reduced sodium, but there is not a big selection out there. I don't generally salt my food, but I know that what I eat is most likely loaded with it. I don't know how to manage a low salt diet. I don't like to cook and generally eat frozen meals which are loaded with sodium. Your story lets me know that it can help, maybe I can give it a try again.

Thanks
Teresa
Teresa: I do not take any medication at all, so I was thrilled to control this vertigo with no medication at all. No, there is not a big selection of low sodium food products. I do buy ketchup, tuna, cannned tomatoes, and tomato sauce. That is all I have found. So my diet consists mostly of fresh vegetables and fruits, chicken and fish. Yes, the frozen meals are "loaded with sodium". You will be surprised to learn just how much once you start reading labels. I was absolutely shocked to know how much sodium/salt is put into the foods that we eat. All in all, this has all been worth it for me. I wish you well.

Closed Thread