It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2007, 05:55 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

zandvoort HB User
Question new to this board- trying to help husband

Hi everyone- I have been posting on the MS and Lyme board for about 6 months and I cannot tell you how helpful I have found it. for a year my docs passed me around scratching their heads until someone directed me to the lyme board and now I have a dx and I am on treatment. My husband asked me to try the same for him. If this is not the right board for what I am posting, please direct me.

Here is his story (and he has had the same passing around thing) I'll try to keep it short.
  1. July 2006 was in hospital for 3 days with severe vertigo. Could not move his head an inch without throwing up.
  2. He recovered well but it never really went away. Still bothered him when he did things like look around the cereal aisle at the grocery store.
  3. About a month ago, came back real hard. But not as bad as last July
  4. He finds that he is worst when his nose is runny (sorry for gross factor) Like when we have the fan or AC on, after swimming, he has allergies.
  5. He finds that he is extremely fatigued because his body- especially his eyes, have to compensate for his constant inability to walk straight and function.
  6. When it is dark, he definitely cannot walk straight. His eyes can't help him and he just bounces off the walls.

More list:
1. when pressure changes, teh vertigo increases, like 2 seconds- throws head to right side.
2. If he presses on his right ear, he can make the vertigo sensation increase.
3. Windy days make him nauseaus- wind blowing across his ears.

The only test he has had is a test in a dark room with lights that he could not finish for the nausea.

The day to day constant nature of this is really wearing him down. His last appt with an ENT told him to just wait it out- it will go away but it really is not good. He is extrememly healthy and active otherwise. But he has to work so hard at keeping his level of activity up. We would appreciate any advice anyone can give.

Thanks!

Last edited by zandvoort; 08-25-2007 at 06:04 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2007, 08:58 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Joni9921 HB UserJoni9921 HB User
Re: new to this board- trying to help husband

A couple of thoughts. A neuro-otologist specialize in this area and is usually MUCH more helpful than an ENT. It sounds like he would be a good candidate to see a physical therapist for vestibular rehabilitation. Especially since he is movement sensitive, the eye issues, and the balance issues. Just be sure to find a therapist VERY experienced in the field. Good luck to you and your husband!
Take care,
Joni

Old 08-25-2007, 04:04 PM   #3
(female)

Floridagirl77 HB User

Zandvoort,

You are definitely at the right board! It does sound like an inner ear issue. Yes, a neurotologist is the one to see. He could have uncompensated vestibular neuritis which vestibular therapy by a physical therapist helps, or he could have BPPV, which the doctor can do a manuever in his office and pretty much correct it on the spot. BPPV is more of a positional dizziness, (you feel dizzy each time you turn your head to the right) Vestibular Neuritis is more of a constant feeling of imbalance and disequalibrium. Either way he WILL get better, the neurotologist can run many more tests and direct him on the best path to getting well again. Inner ear issues are very exhausting because your brain spends a lot of energy just trying to keep its balance. Hope he feels better soon.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:01 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

zandvoort HB User

Thanks, both!

I found a MD who specializes in vestibular stuff at Mass Eye and Ear infirmary. We will try him!!!

Defintiely better than what we were doing on our own!
Thanks!!!!

Closed Thread