It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2007, 11:44 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Jaxzilla HB User
Subs, BPPV Blip!

So here I am almost at 18 months and been running about 99-100% with a few blips here and there, I decided to test my BPPV because I really want to go back to yoga. I laid back on the carpet and BAM, a little bit of nystagmus...once i got up my balance was so off and felt like I was going to puke. Did the MEP and after that my balance issues were gone, i felt fine. I continue to do MEP's but I still feel a little bit of vertigo while im doing it. Otherwise, I feel fine.

Will the MEP's get rid of the rest of the cyrstals lingering in my canal? Ive done quite a few of them last night and today and I still have those little buggers. Does it take sometime for these crystals to go back into place? Ive only had an epley. So doing this by myself is a little nerve racking.

Thanks,
Cathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2007, 12:57 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Subs30 HB UserSubs30 HB User
Talking Re: Subs, BPPV Blip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxzilla View Post
So here I am almost at 18 months and been running about 99-100% with a few blips here and there, I decided to test my BPPV because I really want to go back to yoga. I laid back on the carpet and BAM, a little bit of nystagmus...once i got up my balance was so off and felt like I was going to puke. Did the MEP and after that my balance issues were gone, i felt fine. I continue to do MEP's but I still feel a little bit of vertigo while im doing it. Otherwise, I feel fine.

Will the MEP's get rid of the rest of the cyrstals lingering in my canal? Ive done quite a few of them last night and today and I still have those little buggers. Does it take sometime for these crystals to go back into place? Ive only had an epley. So doing this by myself is a little nerve racking.

Thanks,
Cathy
Hi Cathy

..." laid back on the carpet and BAM"...

Do you mean---prior to any MEP maneuvers(at all)??

..."Will the MEP's get rid of the rest of the cyrstals lingering in my canal? "...

Yes---it should---but---it takes a little time---between MEP's---for the brain---to adjust....

So---most---will not do any more then---three in a 24 hour period---for about a week....(think that is what the instructions---say, also)....

Takes a little time---for the rocks(can be more like a slurry---then one or two rocks)---to clear---and then a little more time---after the rocks are completely clear---for the brain to adjust....

...."Does it take sometime for these crystals to go back into place"....

well it will vary---from person to person---but it is not at all unusual---for the rocks(or slurry)---to slip back---and the process(MEP/Epley)---will have to be started again......after---a period of time----six months, year, two years, etc....not for most---but for some---for me it was at the 24 month point---from the 13/14 month---was fine---did the MEP occasionally---then at month 24---while doing a MEP---"Bam"---but it only took a few MEP's(done in accordance with the instructions)---to return to normal....since then---nothing(about 3 or 4 years)...

Still do the MEP's about every 3 or 4 months---no probs.....

If u read up on BPPV on Dr Hain's web site(Sticky)---the recurrence rate is high---until after the 5 or 7 year point---then seldom---reoccures...

..."doing this by myself is a little nerve racking"...

Understand---but---don't let it throw---u...you seem to have a good handle on it and the soloution.....just takes time and a constant vigil-----probably---until u make it to the 5 or 7 year point.....then the "stat's" are with u....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2007, 01:41 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Jaxzilla HB User
Re: Subs, BPPV Blip!

Great information and thank you! Very encouraging!

I got the BPPV blip before I did the MEPs, just by laying flat in my back. Then i got that small little whirl, I got up and did a few MEPs. I am going to continue with them until no more whirlies.

Cathy

Closed Thread