It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2007, 10:01 AM   #1
(female)

aahinbda HB User
So I went to the ENT today. What a waste!

Well, I finally had my appt. and it was the biggest waste of time/money I've ever seen. I'm so frustrated and upset by this guy!! He basically said that I should get back on the Zoloft because there are all sorts of mental illnesses out there and I could be suffering from one because of the dizziness. Are you *****ing kidding me?! I was on Zoloft because I was depressed when my parents passed away. I got off of it because I didn't want to take it anymore, simple as that. I felt I no longer needed it but apparently, my ENT has a degree in psychology because he thought he could guide me in that area.

What a jackass. So needless to say, there was no diagnosis, barely any discussion about my inner ear at all. More a lecture on mental illness and a pep talk about not being embarrassed about taking an anti-depressant.

Gah!!! So frustrating!!

Old 08-30-2007, 10:07 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

mnsk HB User
Re: So I went to the ENT today. What a waste!

oh Im so sorry to hear what happened at ENT ,
Is there anyway you can complain or appeal ?
Im in the uk so dont know how it works but if you wanted to see a mental health worker you would of, DONT THEY MAKE YOU MAD !

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2007, 10:34 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Joni9921 HB UserJoni9921 HB User

I had a simiar experience recently with a neurologist. I think most of us know if there is an anxiety/depression component to our illnesses. Frequently this occurs as a RESULT of the inner ear disorder rather than the other way around. So if the doctor wants to address that, fine, but a diagnosis as to the cause is still necessary.

Keep looking for a doctor that you can trust and work with. Have you had inner ear testing done? Have you had any diagnoses yet or do you in your gut have an idea of what it is?

Joni

Old 08-30-2007, 10:38 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

missy7777 HB Usermissy7777 HB Usermissy7777 HB User

Yep - I think the majority of us on this board will agree that ENT's are a waste of time when it comes to this inner ear stuff. They are good at detecting an ear infection and sinus related stuff. But mostly that is not our problems on this board.

You need to find a Neuro-Otologist who specializes in what you are experiencing. I am so sorry you were let down. Those ENT's have let most of us in here down with their anxiety/depression theories. My motto is, "I am not dizzy because I am anxious, I am anxious because I am dizzy!"

Find the right doc who understands and can treat you properly.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:09 AM   #5
(female)

aahinbda HB User

Hi Joni,

I haven't had any inner ear testing done yet and am not quite sure what is wrong but I do have a pretty strong feeling that it is, indeed, inner ear related simply by reading this board and researching my symptoms. I'm hoping to speak to another ENT here (there are no Neuro-Otologist here on the island) and then when we make it back to the States I will look into seeing someone.

It's just such a big let down...

Old 08-30-2007, 11:11 AM   #6
(female)

aahinbda HB User

Missy,

You're exactly right, I'm not dizzy because I'm anxious, but the complete opposite. I wonder why it's so difficult of a notion to comprehend?! He actually had the nerve to ask my about my tonsils while I was there too, saying that one was larger than the other. Who cares?! I'm not there because I have a sore throat! Argh!!

Old 08-30-2007, 11:45 AM   #7
(male)

WhyAmIDizzy? HB User

I'm sorry to hear that. Don't let one doctor get you down! I've been to several loser doctors and only a couple good ones.

My experience with ENT's is that they are only good for rubbing your throat, looking in your ears and nose, and handing out nasal spray.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:05 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

charlotte67 HB User

AA...I think you should check the veda web site and look for a doctor that can run vestibular tests.

This doc was an idiot.

Closed Thread