It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2007, 10:36 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User
More BPPV thoughts ...

Hi All,

I've been in the dizzy hole since April now all kicked off by a series of very stressful events - namely a relationship coming unstuck. Anxiety went nuts, I got mega dizzy, back on the SSRI and then I had that major BPPV attack 2 months ago. I was able to end that BPPV quite quickly by doing the MEP for two days - it was hell doing it but it worked. I also know I have a vestibular migraine thing going.

What I'm noticing lately is that I will suddenly have a dizzier day for no good reason. Headaches do kick in from foods - no question there, and sometimes I'll get small dizzy attacks that last an hour followed by a headache - all of which sounds like textbook MAV. But today for example I woke up with my eyes really moving about - far more than normal and this does not feel like a food dizzy headache thing. I had been sleeping on my right side. So I was thinking about what my very cluey doc was saying the other day - that maybe I keep getting BPPV attacks. I said "nah ... I'd know for sure because of the rotational vertigo and nystagmus etc." But what if she's right? Maybe there's a few rocks being spit out every week or two - not enough to cause the full blown hurricane effect but enough to up screw up my balance and make for a much dizzier day.

So I hit the bed and did the MEP this morning. Interesting result: first position very little difference. Second position my heart rate immediately jumped up and pounded and my eyes got all screwy and then it passed (fatigue?). Same on sitting up in the the fourth position.

So I'm wondering while migraine comes and goes and causes all sorts of hassles for me, is it also causing rocks to be dumped into the labyrinth at night? Given my results this morning from the MEP and the heavy correlation between migraine and BPPV I think its a huge possibility and one that others should consider too.

At any rate, like Subs, I'll be including the MEP into my daily routine morning and night.

Best ... Scott

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2007, 01:22 AM   #2
(female)

edizzyna HB User
Re: More BPPV thoughts ...

Hi Scott,

Sorry to hear that you are not feeling well.
Since having my bad BPPV episod over 2 years ago, I have not slept on my left "bad" side. When I turn that way I feel "off", and as if a BPPV attack is coming. Eventhough 2 years passed, I am afraid to try and lie on that side.
I can't do the MEP, because I had a very bad reaction to the Epley that lasted for weeks, so I think I found a way to bypass it.
So to answer your question, I may also have some unfinished business with rocks in my left year, but somehow I am able to live I with it.

Hope the MEP's help you to keep the BPPV under control.

All the best

Old 09-01-2007, 11:04 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

stargrave HB Userstargrave HB User

Hi Scott.

Well I used to get some "waking up" Migrane attacks while in my teens, and my worst vertigo attacks including my first great on 2004 all of them were on waking up.

That is on one end of the stick, on the other as I've earned in here from subs, Michelle and others, BPPV is more tricky that is seems, as brain can quick compensate, masking it's presence, and it could be lingering there for a long time, until the rocks dissolve, or somehow manage to get back to their right position.

I don't know the real reason behind that just giving some thoughts, but my bet is on Migraine, because in my case when I'm, as I mentioned several times, with the dizzy switch "on", many many movements, VRT exercises, and things like screens and crowded places, give instant trouble even as I already was "free" or felt compensated for those situations.

I don't know if there is a direct relationship between BPPB and MAV as it is more clear to me with VN for example, where a "weak ear" is more susceptible to a BPPV attack than one that is healthy.

Old 09-01-2007, 02:29 PM   #4
(female)

curiouscat02 HB User
Exclamation Re: More BPPV thoughts ...

[What I'm noticing lately is that I will suddenly have a dizzier day for no good reason. Headaches do kick in from foods - no question there, and sometimes I'll get small dizzy attacks that last an hour followed by a headache - all of which sounds like textbook MAV.]

hi Scott,

Some questions: What do your small dizzy attacks feel like? are your eyes affected: ie zig zag lines, faint feelings? or Does the world move about outside of your head like a BPPV attack?

Also, what foods bother you. Are these actual food allergies that you know cause a migraine?

I used to see zig zags and blind spots in my vision and almost feel like fainting. I realized I had gained weight and was stuffing myself into clothes that were too tight around my waist. If I was sitting in a tight place, with little circulating air, with too small clothes on, I would have a problem. Loosening the clothes, breathing deeply from the diaphragm and lying down, drinking water would make it go away in about 15 minutes. No headache then necessarily. I think that is the reason, but it is still much of a mystery.

Have you tried going back to square one and sleeping sitting up ? A drag, I know, but maybe you will not wake up dizzy. I stayed in the same place for three days, not moving my head, (yes, really) until the rocks dissolved. I would get better very slowly, and each day I could move my head a bit more from side to side. I remember going to the ENT with a cane, still unsteady on my feet. Some of the canalyphs (sp?) were still there, but when I did the epley (which you remember I dreaded) the last ones got moved into a better place. So far I do the Epley once a week and feel great, except for some residual tinnitus occasionally. I played hot tennis in 88 degree heat today and the tinnitus is gone. Maybe fluid in my ear went out in the sweat.

Hope you feel better soon.

C. Cat

Old 09-04-2007, 05:14 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

firechick HB User

Hi Scott
Interesting, your thoughts are exactly what mine were like once I discovered I had BPPV...I often wonder when I am having an off day if a couple of rocks are out of place, enough to make me feel off yet not enough to cause the actual vertigo or nystagmus. I have started doing the MEP about once a week whether I need it or not just to keep things at bay, especially since subs mentioned he still did it after reading the article you found on the critical number of rocks out which will cause the problems...so far so good.
Don't forget you also can still get some of the good old fashioned "Decomp", if you have had any permenant damage done to the inner ear, your brain will always have to take a larger load of the work and we all know what happens when we get tired or stressed out the the brain says "too bad, but the vestibular system is taking a back seat to this, I gotta deal with this other thing..."
Just keep focussing on what you can control, your food intake, your sleep, and doing the MEP once in a while. When I am off I get a little anxious before I do it...but then think it through...if I find something, then although thta completely sucks, this is the actual thing that will make it better, and I would rather find it on the end of my bed, in my control, rather than looking up as I climb a ladder at work!
Hope you are doing well
FC

Old 09-04-2007, 06:05 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Subs30 HB UserSubs30 HB User
Talking Re: More BPPV thoughts ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by firechick View Post
Hi Scott
Interesting, your thoughts are exactly what mine were like once I discovered I had BPPV...I often wonder when I am having an off day if a couple of rocks are out of place, enough to make me feel off yet not enough to cause the actual vertigo or nystagmus. I have started doing the MEP about once a week whether I need it or not just to keep things at bay, especially since subs mentioned he still did it after reading the article you found on the critical number of rocks out which will cause the problems...so far so good.
Don't forget you also can still get some of the good old fashioned "Decomp", if you have had any permenant damage done to the inner ear, your brain will always have to take a larger load of the work and we all know what happens when we get tired or stressed out the the brain says "too bad, but the vestibular system is taking a back seat to this, I gotta deal with this other thing..."
Just keep focussing on what you can control, your food intake, your sleep, and doing the MEP once in a while. When I am off I get a little anxious before I do it...but then think it through...if I find something, then although thta completely sucks, this is the actual thing that will make it better, and I would rather find it on the end of my bed, in my control, rather than looking up as I climb a ladder at work!
Hope you are doing well
FC
Hi F/C

Glad to hear ur doing well...

..."I would rather find it on the end of my bed, in my control, rather than looking up as I climb a ladder at work!"...

Yep---no question about that---especially in ur line of work...& for just about all who/had/have BPPV---healthy way to look at a very uncertain(at least for now) situation...

Still at 100%---still do MEP's---still walk/exercise...etc...going on six years---no problems....(knock on wood)....

...be interesting to see if latest study(that Scott found)---where the study did not look passed "Seven Years"---point---for recurrence---holds up....

Old 09-05-2007, 04:33 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

firechick HB User

Well Subs, if anyone on this board deserves to be rid of this junk for life, it's you. My vote is for the 7 years to fly by and for you to never see hide nor hair of this crap again. You have come on this board time and again after being totally healed yourself and helped so many deal with their inner ear issues with your pragmatic, practical and gentle advice. I know you are probably a tough sub-mariner who has a tough leather shell, but we all know what's on the inside.
THanks
FC

Old 09-05-2007, 11:03 PM   #8
(female)

BeatleManiac HB User

Hmm....well if you think that your dizziness is MAV, then I would recommmend you asking your doctor about possibly trying out a migraine medication like Topamax for instance. I tried it but i don't have many headaches so MAV is ruled out for me. Get an MRI done if you haven't already, those are important. Get your bloodwork done too. I woke up dizzy many times. I think it is related to laying flat on the bed (sometimes the pillow slips away from me). So try to sleep propped up a bit, this will help. When you are having an attack, remain calm, elevate your feet and keep your head propped. Eat something small and have a glass of water. The dizziness should subside in a few minutes. Stay away from salts and caffeine. Those will make headaches and dizziness worse. Good luck to you.

Closed Thread