It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2007, 06:37 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

realbelle HB User
What Went Wrong????

Hey guys, I was doing the vrts from charlottes post. The first week, it made me feel awful--I thought "well, this is good. BUT each week kept getting worse and worse. After the fifth week--I quit and am just now starting to calm down. I can't imagine WHY it made me be soooo BAD. It felt like I was going to come apart--it made my motion 100 times worse and didn't let up. Balance had said that by the fourth week I should be 80-85% better...I just don't understand. I really had high hopes!!! ANY ideas??? Thanks, Belle

Old 09-01-2007, 07:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

charlotte67 HB User
Re: What Went Wrong????

Well, they are designed to make you feel worse at first. Did you start with the easier exercises and then when they did not make you ill, did you increase?

If you over do you can make yourself sick.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2007, 09:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User

Hi Realbelle,

This is what Dr Rauch says about this:

"Even if migraine is not the primary cause of some of our patients symptoms, it causes intensification of symptoms to the point that the migraine inhibits treatment of the primary problem. Migrainuers are the only patients who get worse in vestibular rehab PT. I consider this diagnostic of migraine: If I see a patient who tried VPT but quit after 1 or 2 sessions I know they're a migraineur.

Scott

Last edited by studyin; 09-01-2007 at 05:18 PM.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

hbep HB Userhbep HB Userhbep HB User

Hello,

Just to second what Scott has said, considering how long you've been suffering with is I would guess you have MAV,also known as migraine associated vertigo. It can be treated with daily migraine preventatives.

Check out the Dr Rauch vidoes in the sticky thread. You don't need to have headaches for this diagnosis, many people with MAV just experience dizziness.

best,

Old 09-01-2007, 06:42 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

realbelle HB User

Thanks guys, this is just such a heartache that the vrt did not help. I knew it didn't help in the beginning of this crap but it didn't make me worse either. I can't take the migraine meds because of it raising the heart rate. I have been on toprol xl for 7 yrs cuz my heart was beating too fast and 2 yrs into this--they added more for the blood pressure. I guess I will try the klonopin like Dr. Hain suggested. I just soooo wanted the vrt to help and not have to mess with the meds. After Hains article in Today and the emails between us----my GP wrote a script for the klonopin BUT I haven't tried it yet--tooo big a coward!!!! With a big gulp, I ask everyone to pray that this med helps a LOT--But, I will wait till we get moved and then try it! Right now, stress level is peaked out. Son was jumped and the guys smacked his eye, chipped 2 teeth and broke his ankle--he doesn't have a clue as to who or why...AND we are trying to get moved. Thanks for replying, I was upset trying to figure out why it made me so dang bad. Prayers, Belle

Old 09-01-2007, 07:41 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Joni9921 HB UserJoni9921 HB User

I have an alternate view. You have to really baby step this stuff. The list on the Charlotte's VRTs post is A LOT of stimulation to an injured system that is not used being tested so directly and intensely. Some people can do it all. Most have to ease in over a couple of months. That is a very extensive list and not necessarily for day one, no matter how long you've had this stuff. That's why it is recommended to see a "live" PT trained in this stuff to help with creating a program and progressing it.

If you're willing I would suggest trying it again. I can give you specific recomendations if you would like, both from the point of view as someone who had to rehab very slowly and as a PT myself. It sucks to make yourself feel worse, but then maybe you'll have a better picture as to the VRTs actually made you worse in order to get better, or if it is migraine.

So sorry about your son and all the stress you're under. My thoughts are with you.
Joni

Old 09-01-2007, 08:15 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

realbelle HB User

Hi Joni, I was doing the look left--keep eyes focused--look right--look up--look down. Hold a card still-eyes focused on card--move head left and right etc. Move card in opposite direction of head but keep eyes focused on card. And the heel to toe walk. I did try them all(on the post) the first day--NO WAY could I do that!!! Thats when I just did those few. This is 4 yrs, 5mths for me. Am SO fed up with this constant movement. Anyways, will gladly listen to what you have to say and thank you. Prayers, Belle

Old 09-03-2007, 06:13 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

stargrave HB Userstargrave HB User

Hi Belle

Just my 5 cents on this.

I don't know your exact symptoms but here is what I think, based on what I've learned and experienced:

Sometimes VRT do makes you off, and it's supposed to do so in the beginning, but as most said in a case of MAV it could act more as a trigger rather than as a cure.

If your doctor already suspects on MAV you should try that approach, and not all MAV medication increases a heartbeat, talk to your doc to find out some that doesn't give you this as side effect, have you tried B-2 vitamin?.
, or follow a prevention diet?(I'm lousy at this)

Finally, something I would recommend to everyone, and I'm even going to post something related: WALK, 30 minutes daily, anywhere, just walk, don't power-walk if you don't want to, or don't start in crowdy places if it's too much at first, but walk, and walk and walk.

It will help as VRT if you do happen to have some vestibular issue, it also helps you to improve brain circulation, which eventually will help you to compensate, it will lower your stress, and it may even help you in a MAV case.

It might not be a miracle cure, but it will be a healthy constant method of general improvement.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:35 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

realbelle HB User

Hi Stargrave, Thanks. That VRT I can do!!!! The Docs here laughed at MAV when I brought that up so I am on my own on the DX. Well, when this first started it was me waking up to the room spinning round and round.Then for 3 mths, every time I would move--room spinning. Then after that,it I got into see the ENT--after the tests--dx was BPPV. SOO after 3 or 4 epleys--it went to his 24/7 of motion. I am always feeling that my body is rocking,swaying, bobbing. Vision is blurred, balance is off, very tight neck tension from trying to be still. Feels like I am on a boat in a hurricane--and now the hurricane has gotten so much worse..The first set of VRT--cooksey-cawthrone--didn't help nor hurt. The second time around--no help. Now these I just did from balance--OMG--it just kept making me worse and worse. The motion was, and somewhat still is, just pure he**. As of now the balance is so far off. Looking at computer is really BAD--that hasn't bothered me before. This is after 5 weeks of every day getting worse.As I said, I am just starting to calm down a little. Its been VERY scary and upsetting. I am doing the one exercise that seemed to help before--that is--standing with one foot in front of the other--eyes closed-count to 30 and then the other foot in front--5 times, twice a day. There aren't any dizzy PTs here--the one I did see--was your normal PT--helping people after an injury..He knew less than I did about all this. Instead of being back at square one it feels like I am at square negative 10...Ok--enough of my misery. Thanks, I can walk--not quickly nor straight but I can walk--thank God. Prayers, Belle

Old 09-03-2007, 06:43 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Jaxzilla HB User

Hey Belle, I would go back to a different doctor. Find THAT one doctor that cares and knows their stuff. You've been suffering with this way too long. I would see a doc that specializes in this crap. Dont give up, there is good help out there. We just need to find it.

I wish you the best.
Cathy

Old 09-03-2007, 02:43 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Joni9921 HB UserJoni9921 HB User

Hi again Belle. Sorry I couldn't get back to you right away. I had my brother's wedding yesterday and we just got back today.

The most important exercise is to retrain the VOR. This is the reflex that makes automatic eye corrections when you move your head. This is the one where you write a letter on the back of a business card and turn your head back and forth. I would start with a letter written big on the card or piece of paper. Move your head as slowly and as small of a movement as you need to keep the letter in focus. Do it 10 times twice a day to start. If this gets easy (focussing and increasing symptoms) then increase the length of time. But increase everything slowly. First increase the length of time, then speed of turning your head. Build up to 2 minutes at a time.

The walking idea is a really good suggestion. I think working out again has made a big difference for me. Both for my vestib system, but also for my energy, which has helped my coping.

Take care,
Joni

Old 09-04-2007, 08:02 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

realbelle HB User

Hi Cathy, I don't think there is such a doc here in Ok. Everyone I have seen that is suppose to specialize in dizzy's doesn't even know as much as I do. Its very dishearting!
Thanks Joni, will try that VOR exercise after I get calmed down more. This is just pure awful. Hope you had fun at your brothers wedding! Prayers, Belle

Closed Thread