HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Inner Ear Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/inner-ear-disorders/)
-   -   Bppv?? Help! (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/inner-ear-disorders/530683-bppv-help.html)

dizzyandsad 09-02-2007 04:04 PM

Bppv?? Help!

Ok I am SO hoping this is because I think I have a flu bug and feel crappy but I have been awfully dizzy today. But I notice sometimes when I turn my head sometimes i am dizzier. I have never had any correlation between dizzy and head movements. I know BPPV can develop so i am deathly hoping for it to be due to this flu bug......any opinions??

Jaxzilla 09-02-2007 04:14 PM

Re: Bppv?? Help!

Okay this what you need to do...go up to the stickey and scroll down and you will find self help links to BPPV. The manuvers are called MEPs. Read the article and play the video. The video is great! If you get a nystamgus when doing the MEP then it sounds like BPPV. Make sure you know which one is your bad ear.

Good Luck!

dizzyandsad 09-02-2007 04:44 PM

i have no idea which is my bad ear noone ever tested it

Jaxzilla 09-02-2007 05:12 PM

Do the MEPs on both ears. If u have BPPV you will now which ear is the bad.

dizzyandsad 09-02-2007 07:49 PM

and if i dont have BPPV how will the epley make me feel?

Jaxzilla 09-02-2007 08:37 PM

[QUOTE=dizzyandsad;3189202]and if i dont have BPPV how will the epley make me feel?[/QUOTE]

if u have bppv, you would feel whirrly, like vertigous when doing the MEPs. I you dont have BPPV, you would feel like u are feeling now.

Jaxzilla 09-02-2007 08:39 PM

In what direction do you turn your head that causes dizziness?

dizzyandsad 09-03-2007 05:59 AM

well it is nothing definite just a few times yesterday if i turned my head quick or soemthing i felt dizzy. But when I started to think BPPV I would try to turn my head fast to the sides and up and down but rwouldnt get anything. And I watched Tv laying on both sides last night and nothing but felt dizzy when went to lay down in bed last night. But I didnt feel any spinning vertigo flipping sides so no idea.....maybe it is just the flu???

Jaxzilla 09-03-2007 06:15 AM

Sounds like the flu. You should start taking vitamins, C, A, E and garlic. That will boost your immune system.

studyin 09-03-2007 06:21 AM

If you lie down flat and turn your head left to right or vice versa, you would likely get very strong rotational vertigo if it was BPPV. If it is, you'll know it, believe me. It's full on stuff and there's generally no guessing. While moving through the MEP, you'll notice your eyes flicking back and forth (nystagmus) if there's any rocks in there.

The jury seems to be out on whether their can be more subtle versions of BPPV. Not certain.

Scott :cool:

dizzyandsad 09-03-2007 06:45 AM

i did it and felt slight;y dizzy but nothing extraordinary and been dizzy most of the day so....

BeatleManiac 09-05-2007 11:31 PM

Hi,
Have you went to the doctor at all? I would go to your PCP and maybe ask for an antibiotic, since you think it might be viral. If that fails then have your PCP refer you to an ENT, so he can check out your ears and do some diagnostic testing. He can also refer you to a physical therapist. They can determine if you have vertigo and other balance problems. If all of these don't work and your dizziness persists, have your PCP order an MRI. In the meantime, I would ask the doctor for Antivert (Meclizine), which is a seasick med that helps with vertigo. Cut back on salt and caffeine too, these can make dizziness worse. Hope this helps.:angel:

dizzyandsad 09-06-2007 05:04 AM

Beatle I am 6 months into this and already been to an ENT (no Help) a neuro who siad it is Labs had an MRI Been to the ER 3 times been on meclizine and seen a PT (only once though as that is all my insurance covers) so I thought BPPV may be developing ON TOP of my Labs just wasnt sure....

Jaxzilla 09-06-2007 05:50 AM

Antibiotics only help with bacterial infections not viral.