It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2007, 02:50 PM   #1
(female)

pumama HB User
Dr. calls it BPPV (for now??)

Hi I'm new to this board thing,but 'am so frustrated and hopful for any kind of lasting relief,even if only words from others who may understand it, ya know? I had my first attack in the beginning of 02, I think it lasted 3 or 4 days then went away.I tried to get up and out of bed one morning and just fell limp to my right side,and my whole world was spinning. I have had several very short term episodes since,short term,like spinning for a few seconds with nausea,then it goes away. Then in 05 again I tried to get out of bed,but that time I went limp to my left side.I went to my Dr. he asked questions,and yes,I had recently recovered from a nasty cold.He checked the usuals including my ears,and said my throat was still a bit red.Then he laid me back and gently rolled my head to the left,AWWWW MAN !!!!!The whole room and everything in it was spinning and felt like it would never stop!After a few mins he slowly sat me up,(I kinda lost my cookies.)All he could say was,,Yup,you got it and pretty bad,called it Positional Vertigo and started explaining it to me.It took about a week to go away. Now I got it again.! I caught somekind of virus that was going around at work near the end of July,but most people with it had real bad coughs and sinus problems.My worst symptoms seemed to be very sore throat(like raw) lost my voice for like 2 1/2 weeks and felt very tired most of the time.I was dreading that crupe sounding cough I just knew was coming,but it never came,just had a little surpressable cough on and off, then I started to feel better. Then the end of August I started feeling off balanced, but I was still able to function and do my job,that was Weds and Thurs.Then Friday morning I sat up in bed and YUP went limp to my right side,went to my DR. and same as before, me prescribed Antivert and Volume, and the Antiv-helps with the spinning and a lot more with the nausea.He took me off work,(which I couldnt function anymore anyways) so I been off ever since,that was August 31st,now it's Sept.25th.He's done all kinds of tests on my blood, and I'm happy to say everything there is normal. Yeah, but I'm still not normal at all!! He's got an MRI set for this week, heck, I just keep hoping I'll be able to get back to work,,, like now even,, never thought I'd ever miss my job till now ! Well if you could stand to read all these complaints,,, does anyone have any ideas or comments or sugestions or anything???? Thanks for your time,, Pumama

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2007, 04:28 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Subs30 HB UserSubs30 HB User
Talking Re: Dr. calls it BPPV (for now??)

Hi Pumama

Sounds like BPPV u can read what that is, what to expect and the fix for it at:

[url]http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/bppv/bppv.html[/url]

and if u care to try it---u can learn how to do the MEP at:

[url]http://www.neurology.org/cgi/content/full/63/1/150[/url]

With the video at:

[url]http://www.neurology.org/cgi/content/full/63/1/150/DC1[/url]

All web sites are located in the "Information Archive" (Sticky) first post on this board....

Last edited by Subs30; 09-25-2007 at 04:29 PM.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:18 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

sipa HB User
Re: Dr. calls it BPPV (for now??)

That sounds very similar to how things went for me. So far I have been diagnosed with BPPV as well, and that's the way it'll stay unless they decide that they should do further testing.

Let me know how things are going for you! Hope you feel better!!

Old 09-26-2007, 11:29 AM   #4
(female)

pumama HB User

Hi Subs, Thanks for the sites you sent,I feel like I been reading all morning. Then I wrote a reply and was just about to submit it when the phone rang, I tried to reach for it and don't ya know,,, somehow erased everything I had wrote. Well I can certainly relate to a lot of what I've read about this BPPV, but right now,this time is the longest I've had it so far,and a lot of things I'm starting to understand are making me worry more,mostly about how long this is actually going to end up lasting this time,?, Even worse will it ever really go away? Also I have a couple of questions you may be able to answer (cause I'm sure you can't of the ones above lol) First,I get these,what I call, (Darting Spells). I don't get them all the time, just off and on,like during a short walk mostly inside the house;or if I'm on the phone too long or talking to someone too long;or like most times just while sitting watching tv,(all of which times include little to mostly no head movement - as I try very hard to avoid triggering another episode-) anyway,like watching tv,or talking to someone too long, all the sudden what ever I'm focused on just seems to dart away very fast (mostly toward my left,but I have also seen it go to my right,just not near as often as to left),then it comes back and like in slower motion (that I can keep up with my eyes) it goes maybe once or twice more then stops,but it don't feel the same as when everything is spinning.When this happens, it's just that one thing I'm focusing on, ya know?. Now in my mind,I know that object never really moved anywhere,but yet I do see it move with my own eyes. I can't tell if I'am hallucinating-or if this is another or different symptom or what,and I've not mentioned it to my Dr. yet. But have you had this type of thing happen to you???

Old 09-26-2007, 12:15 PM   #5
(female)

pumama HB User

Hi Sipa, thanks for your reply and recovery wishes. But I sure hope your feeling better than me,today has been an up and down kind of day. I get to feeling and thinking I'm better cause my dizziness was not real bad once I got past this morning, but now it feels like it's coming back again. I go for an MRI tomorrow so not real sure how to feel about that. But I do know that I'am sure hopeful that they can atleast rule out the worst things this could be,and maybe even be able to make an absolute diagnosis. But for now I hope your getting better, or atleast somebody can find out why your not very soon !

Old 09-26-2007, 12:31 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Subs30 HB UserSubs30 HB User
Talking Re: Dr. calls it BPPV (for now??)

Hi Pumama

First,I get these,what I call, (Darting Spells).............??

---That sounds like "Nystagmus" which is not at all unusual with BPPV. U can go here for that:

[url]http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/practice/nystagmus.html[/url]

It is all part and parcel of the side effects of BPPV---the only thing unusual about it(a little) is u are actually seeing it happen---in most cases---its happening---but so quickly, etc..that u feel it---but do not see it...

can't tell if I'am hallucinating......???

Not likely!!

Know there is a considerable amount of reading involved---with this junk---but it is the only way---that I know of---to really sort through the symptoms---to determine---what variant of vestibular injury u prob have...

---short of reading for yourself---ur basically 100% in the hands of the medical types--&--those that truly understand this---are few and far between.....

P.s. The MRI is just part of the standard protocol---just about all of us had one---none turned up a thing....prob has more to do with law suits then medicine

Last edited by Subs30; 09-26-2007 at 12:36 PM.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:46 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

sipa HB User

Hi Pumama,

I'm not sure it's exactly the same thing, but I have issues as well when I focus on something for too long. Sometimes especially when walking, it feels like everything "shifts" for a split-second, but I haven't really been able to tell whether things "go" in a certain direction. It feels more like I just stepped into a hole.. lol.

Have any of your doctors done an Epley maneuver with you? That should help with the serious spinning if you have BPPV. Also, when I have an actual spinning attack, I make sure I get up very slowly in the morning, stopping every time I feel the spinning coming on and letting things settle down. Once you're up, trying moving your head around a little to disperse things and adjust.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:40 PM   #8
(female)

pumama HB User

Hi Sipa, boy,this board thing is very tricky,this is my 3rd attempt to reply lol. I've suffered from Motion Sickness since I was a child. Then it go worse when I started to drive,got to the point that I could only stand it for about 15 to 30 mins at most,then would have to pull over and well,that was never fun! So I let my license expire in 1995 and I don't drive anymore.I do pretty good in trucks and vans,but I have to ride the back seat in cars,and can still really only handle short trips.
I guess I did what Subs called "the wait and see thing" with my first Vertigo attack. But I didn't know what was wrong,just that everytime I tried to get up or sit up,I'd just go limp to my right side.That just went away over a long holiday weekend in 02. Then I went to my Dr. with my 2nd attack in 05, that was shortly after recovering from a nasty cold. He did that Epley Maneuver and gave me Rx for vulume,that time it lasted a little over a week. Now this time I caught some kind of bug that was going around at work I think about mid to end of July. But most people with it seemed a lot worse off than me,and they all said it was a virus so no meds for that. Most of them had a nasty crupe sounding cough and sinus problems,and they were sick on and off for 2 to 4 weeks with it. My worse symptoms were very sore throat (like raw),lost my voice for about 2 1/2 weeks, tired most of the time, headaches on and off,and sometimes ringing in my ears.I wasn't goin to no Dr. just to be told I had a virus and it would go away. Well sure enough I got my voice back and finally started feeling all better again.then I started feeling a bit off balance on the 29th and 30th of August,on the 31st I tried to get up out of bed and WHAM! Yup went limp to my right side again. This time my Dr. did the Dix Hallpike, cause it was different from the first time and a few mins after he finished pulling and rolling me around he was infront and slowly helping me back up and holding my shoulders to try n help me rebalance from the swings and sways. Then he said I have BPPV and explained it to me.That has helped, I don't get the spinning very bad anymore,atleast not for over a week now,but I do still get very dizzy, but getting a bit better there too (I think).Mostly now still a bit dizzy, a lot of nausea! very little vomiting anymore though YAH!!,I get "Darting Spells" on and off, and I still have the swings and sways (but I'm pretty sure my right side is almost back). Sometimes I wake up with little pins & needles feelings in my fingers, I think it's cause I curl my hands and arms in when I sleep lol. Does this sound like what you have too? If so,, may I please ask, how long have you had it?

Old 09-27-2007, 09:24 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

sipa HB User

It sounds like you have a weak vestibular system to begin with if you're unable to drive at all without getting extremely motion sick.

Your symptoms are a bit different from mine. I don't go limp on one side, I just get spinning attacks when I turn to the right. The first attack I had several years ago was the worst one and I could barely walk for the first 10 minutes or so, but moreso because everything was still spinning, not because one side went limp.

To answer your question: I've had it once about 4 or 5 years ago, then again a couple years later, then again this past December which is the one I'm still dealing with. It's been coming back approximately once a month since then.

From what I understand, if you have BPPV and it isn't cleared up after the first Epley, it should be done again. The severe spinning vertigo should go away, though you may be left with some dizziness and motion sensitivity. That's where the VRTs come in.

If I'm wrong about any of this, someone correct me please.

Good luck with your MRI today!

Old 09-27-2007, 10:03 AM   #10
(female)

pumama HB User
Smile Re: Dr. calls it BPPV (for now??)

Hey thanks! Again good info, I'am appreciating all this new information on here,I guess mainly cause I can relate to some of it and I'm actually starting to understand a lot more of it now. I'am sure it's going to be my biggest help while I'm talking with my doctor. Can you maybe help explain a couple of words I've been seeing on here? Like "Blip" What does this mean? Also "VN" and like you just used in your last reply, "VRTs". There are still a lot of terms and words I wish to learn,, but for now, these kinds leave me in the blank. Meanwhile, today seems to be a much better day for me so far. Still nausious (that seems to be my norm most of the time), sounds kinda gross, but burps seem to help the most with it. I'm also getting better with my swings and sways (not having to grab on to everything so much, kinda sloppy short steps) but better than it's been My girls joke with me and say I look like I'm blind and walk like I'm drunk all the time. Man,, I wish I was just drunk, A Real Stupper Too!!! Atleast then I would know this would all go away after the hangover !

Old 09-27-2007, 12:55 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

sipa HB User

VRT is vestibular rehabilitation therapy.

VN is vestibular neuritis.

I can't give you the "definition" of blips. I haven't heard that term before coming here either. I've assumed so far that is refers to a recurrence of some symptoms. Most people here seem to get better and then something happens that causes a setback; basically fine for a while, then BAM, you feel bad again (to varying degrees.) That's my understanding of the term. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.

I'm glad you feeling a bit better today. Nausea is a big one for me too, and I absolutely detest it. I don't ever get nauseous enough to throw up, just enough to feel.. "seasick." Hate it, hate it, hate it.

Hang in there. I know it sucks but it'll get better eventually.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:15 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

missy7777 HB Usermissy7777 HB Usermissy7777 HB User

Yes, yes - me too about feeling nauseas! I hate it - that seasick feeling. Never enough to vomit, but just queeeeeezy as heck. Although this has gotten alot better. I have had this for almost 7 months and I hardly ever get nauseas any more - phew!

A "blip" is a setback, recurrence, whatever you want to call it. It's part of another inner ear jargon called, "decompensation" which basically is the same thing (your brain forgets some aspects of your vestibular recovery and acts confused - sick - again) You are feeling well, getting better, and then something happens and you feel worse again. Never quite as bad as the first time, and the "blips" SEEM to get less severe each time they happen, but nonetheless they are disheartening and aggrivating and can send one into despair ("oh noooo, not again!!"). The main thing to remember during a blip is how bad you felt in the beginning, and that it is getting better, and that each "blip" will be less and less severe until they stop occurring once and for all!

Old 09-27-2007, 04:57 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

sipa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by missy7777 View Post
Yes, yes - me too about feeling nauseas! I hate it - that seasick feeling. Never enough to vomit, but just queeeeeezy as heck.
haha, yes, exactly that. It's the most unpleasant feeling. That seriously bothers me more than the spinning vertigo attacks. Probably because it stays for so long. Fortunately that's pretty much gone away for me too. It comes back sometimes when I feel lousy and especially when the anxiety acts up. But for now.. I'm all good on that front!

Quote:
Originally Posted by missy7777
..the "blips" SEEM to get less severe each time they happen, but nonetheless they are disheartening and aggrivating and can send one into despair ("oh noooo, not again!!").
That's the tough part. Sometimes you just want to crawl into a hole and cry.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:19 PM   #14
(female)

pumama HB User
Thumbs up Re: Dr. calls it BPPV (for now??)

Quote:
Originally Posted by missy7777 View Post
A "blip" is a setback, recurrence, whatever you want to call it. It's part of another inner ear jargon called, "decompensation" which basically is the same thing (your brain forgets some aspects of your vestibular recovery and acts confused - sick - again) You are feeling well, getting better, and then something happens and you feel worse again. Never quite as bad as the first time, and the "blips" SEEM to get less severe each time they happen, but nonetheless they are disheartening and aggrivating and can send one into despair ("oh noooo, not again!!"). The main thing to remember during a blip is how bad you felt in the beginning, and that it is getting better, and that each "blip" will be less and less severe until they stop occurring once and for all!
This is kinda what I thought it ment,, so thank you !

VRT is vestibular rehabilitation therapy.
VN is vestibular neuritis.

And now thanks to yall,I have 3 new words, that I finally understand

Today started out still kinda off first thing this morning,but it got much better as the day went on. I went to my MRI,and that was an experience ! I hope they got all the shots they'll need,cause I believe my photo days are all booked up lol. That lady said it should be about 30 mins, HAHA, it was closer to 70 mins from the time she first put me in (then pulled me out to inject that dye) till she pulled me out the last time and was done. Well atleast it's over for now, till I get the results,I'm guessing they'll prolly be normal. But she seemed to think I was there for some kind of head injury.Because when she started asking how it happened,she seemed surprised when I told her I've never had any head injury or head trauma. Oh well, again prolly just par for the course. I'm trying the "quote reply" option,my first time.Don't seem hard,but guess I'll see how it turns out. Gunna try & sleep with my fingers (or something) crossed tonight, in hopes that these good and better days continue. I can't believe it (cause I don't actually LOVE my JOB) but I'am so anxious to get back to work!

Old 09-28-2007, 08:44 AM   #15
(female)

pumama HB User

Hello everyone,
I hope yall are doing well today. I've had a couple of getting better days in a row,yesterday was my best one so far . I have been noticing a pattern with higher sympthoms first thing in my mornings,but they have been subsiding as the day goes on. I guess this could be talerable if this were to be as good as it may get for a while, (since I work 2nd shift) as long as this balancing thing keeps getting better too- they won't let me come back to work if there's a chance I could fall, too much liability I guess,, and there aren't any "sit down jobs there iether -.
But today is a bit different,I went for my MRI yesterday. All my balance problems seem to be coming from my right side.But off and on I get that real low ringing mostly in right ear,but sometimes in left,and rarely I even think I may be hearing it in both at the same time(but thats not very often at all,and hardly even worth mentioning). Well yesterday,after my MRI I kinda had an achy feeling in and around my left ear. It really wasn't bad or even worth complaining about,I mostly just figure it's prolly from the headphones they put on to help cut down or cover up some of the loud noises of the MRI.(But the headphones were loose and practically just laying beside my ears rather than actually hugging my head).But the ache woke me several times from sleep on and off lastnight. Now today,my head is feeling kinda full and fuzzy again,ofcourse the always presence of nausea and little dizzy,and no fever. But I been up for just over 3 hours now.I've usually been feeling better by this time for the past couple of days.
It seems like most of yall have had an MRI before,,,, does this sound normal ? Have any of you had it like this before? Or is this just what yall call a "blip" ? Funny, I was beginning to think I was hearing the ringing again, but this time, it's just my cat snoring behind me HAHA. Sure is nice to have something to laugh or find funny about on times this these !!!

By the way, I'm Lori

Closed Thread