It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2007, 09:05 AM   #1
(female)

meeganone43 HB User
how do you feel when your recovering from vestibular neuritis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2007, 12:10 PM   #2
(female)

ali1260 HB User
Re: how do you feel when your recovering from vestibular neuritis

Hi there....sorry to hear you are having such a miserable time. I too am a relative newbie to this "illness". As yet nobody has actually diagnosed me as having either Labryinthitis or vestibular neuritis, but my symptoms started very abrubtly and seem to match so many of the symptoms listed for both Labs and VN. I have seen an ENT consultant and had loads of basic blood tests etc, but my GP is mystified so I am waiting to see a General Med consultant and have an MRI due in a week. If no joy, I am going to ask my GP to refer me to see a neurotologist for some help.

My symptoms wax and wane. I do not have the constant sick dizziness that I did have for the first 2 weeks (back in mid August) which also led me to have 2 major panic attacks and end up in local Accident and Emergency centre, but I do still get distinct wooziness and imbalance feeling nearly all the time and especially if I go out anywhere eg garden centre or supermarket. It feels like my brain is going to zone out or something...like a radio losing its tuned in point...My ears used to be constantly fogged up and quite a bit of tinnitus. I tend to get tinnitus at bedtime but not so much of the rushing/roaring feeling. Nausea can be the real problem. It seems to come out of the blue. One minute I might feel OK, the next split second I feel really nauseous. Not actually been sick. Am taking 3 x 8mg Serc and have Stemetil if the nausea gets really bad.

Hopefully the virus...if it is that...will burn itself out for both of us. I HAVE to get back to work in 3 weeks or no money and that makes for stress which doesn't help. What frightens me is when you read about the loads of poor people who have suffered for months...years...with these symptoms.

Anyway, just to let you know that you are not alone. Just need to keep feeling positive.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2007, 09:10 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Joni9921 HB UserJoni9921 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeganone43 View Post
I initially had spinning vertigo and severe imbalance. Over time the spinning turned into a constant movement feeling, but not spinning. The balance improved pretty quickly. Nausea was a problem on and off. I have had a lot of difficulty with focussing my eyes as well. It has changed a lot as time has gone by and continues to get more mild. How long have you had VN for? Have you had any vestibular testing done? I hope you have a quick recovery.
Joni

Old 10-06-2007, 06:28 AM   #4
(female)

meeganone43 HB User

yes mine staredout as SAVERE spinning that lasted for a while then it turned into what felt like i was just spinning not the whole world sick feeling stomach and balance is off. somewhat feels like car sickness when i move alot . will the ent do vestibular teasting ? do not know the process , like i said the only ent i did see thought it was not related to my ears because if it would be i would be deaf, did no testing all he did was look in my ears and said he would have needed to see the 2 ear infections himself . and that was all i was givin by him , went back to my family doctor then did the mri,spinal and then they will refer me to a good ent. she said sounds like could be vestibular neuritis , ears ringing at night . thanks a bunch

Old 10-06-2007, 06:50 AM   #5
(female)

meeganone43 HB User

bpv is what the doctor first thought it was, may still be , the head exercise is used for both vest. neuritis and bpv??

Old 10-06-2007, 09:14 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Joni9921 HB UserJoni9921 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeganone43 View Post
yes mine staredout as SAVERE spinning that lasted for a while then it turned into what felt like i was just spinning not the whole world sick feeling stomach and balance is off. somewhat feels like car sickness when i move alot . will the ent do vestibular teasting ? do not know the process , like i said the only ent i did see thought it was not related to my ears because if it would be i would be deaf, did no testing all he did was look in my ears and said he would have needed to see the 2 ear infections himself . and that was all i was givin by him , went back to my family doctor then did the mri,spinal and then they will refer me to a good ent. she said sounds like could be vestibular neuritis , ears ringing at night . thanks a bunch
Some ENTs will do the vestibular testing, but not all. Only if they specialize in this stuff. If the ENT doesn't you may want to find a neuro-otologist. This is a doctor who specializes in this field. The vestibular system is not something a doctor can see looking into your ear. There are tests that they do shaking you head and looking at your eye response, hallpike to test BPPV, and then the hi-tech tests such as ENG. Most causes on dizziness don't make you deaf. That's ridiculous and just an uneducated ENT.

The treatment for vestib neuritis and BPPV are very different. You can get more info in the sticky section. Did the spinning start after a cold or other virus or did it seem more positional, like when you rolled over in bed?

The best thing you can do is get yourself to a good doc who knows this stuff well. Good luck to you!
Joni

Old 10-06-2007, 09:54 AM   #7
(female)

meeganone43 HB User

had first ear infection end of june had somevertigo that ended with the infection second ear infection beginning of augustwith vertigo , and here i am .

Closed Thread