It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2007, 08:14 AM   #1
(male)

NoBalance70 HB User
Unhappy Off Balance and headache ...

Hi everyone.
Very unfortunately I am new in your board
Wish I had never had to look for a board like this one...
For me it started in march this year, severe spinning, the room going round couldn't sleep in any other position than sitting, I totally freaked out and was to the point I nearly went to ER. Went to the doctor and in a sitiing position he layed my head down on one side and threw me over to the other. He did this a couple of times, just prescribed regular aspirin and in a week, end of story. Happy me. It was probably just BBPV.

Well mid-august, here we go again. But this time different story. I have had so many symptoms by now that it's difficult to remember how it all started. I had a spell of weakness in the legs and the feeling of being off balance nearly falling over, heart racing, panic, don't know what a stroke is like but felt like that was it. Anyway just a short while didn't last very long.

A couple of days later, it started again, but this time got the vertigo, headache and severe nausea. After a couple days this was not going to go away.
Went to the doc again, who threw my head from side to side again. But this time nothing; no improvement. Nausea still going, vertigo, headache, or rather like a slight burn that could be anywhere in my head, felt funny things with my heartbeat too, like arythmia. Back to the doctor again, who now prescribes Betahistine dihydrochloride (BD) and sends me off for a brain scan. Brain scan turned out normal and the BD was helping me a lot. A pill in the morning managed to get me through to lunch time where I would get the headache and the off balance feeling again and so on untill evening.

I then go to an ENT, who plugs cameras on my eyes and performs all sorts of tests, Epley, spinning teh chair around etc. I mainly reacted positive on the caloric test, taking me about 1 min 52 to recover from the spinning on one side versus 1 min on the other. Diagnosis: Vestibular Neuronitis

Anyway I manage to get through a month and a half of this, but then the BD wasn't helping anymore. Constant feeling of being off balance and a headache, not really feeling like vertigo anymore, I felt like I was not quite there, being in a parallel world. Then the symptoms changed, not only did I feel off balance but I felt like I was weighing twice my weight, as if someone was pushing me into the ground. Laying down on the side, I would feel as if someone was trying to push me over on my back. This heaviness only lasted for a week, but the off balance feeling continued with the headaches, no nausea.

The off balance /headache hasn't left me for the last 2 months and a half now, have had all sorts of symptoms in my ears as well from liquid filling up inside on one side, ringing for a couple of minutes, popping etc. Feels like I am constantly driving up a mountain in a car. I also can't take too many people or noise around me. The very rare spells where I have been feeling better have only lasted 1 hour or so and when it happens it's like I'm alive again !

Then last week, I get the light tipsy legs svere loss of balance and heartbeat again, as if I am going to stumble over. Continued walking straight concentrating thinking my brain was tricking me. Totally frightened me again and went straight back to the doctor 2-3 hours after the attack. He did an ECG, and it was totally normal. Had a blood sample taken, everything totally normal...He is now sending me to a neurologist, and in parallel I have taken an appointment with a Traditional Chinese Medidine therapist because I don't know where to turn anymore...

Anyway I am feeling so so terribly sad and am still worried that it's a wrong diagnosis ...

Will this ever stop !

Thanks for all the posts on this board, at last I feel as if I'm not alone

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2007, 08:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sheriff56 HB User
Re: Off Balance and headache ...

Hi welcome to the dizziest board going!!
So sorry you feel so bad, I think from all the symptoms you have explained that most of us here have been there at some time and possibly still are, you story sounds so familiar to most of us.
Have you been given any Vestibular Rehabilitation exercises to do? If not try doing the ones shown in the thread Charlottes VRT's, they will make you worse to start with, but I most here will say at some point you do notice they are working.
Let us know how it goes with the Neuro and also with the Chinese therapy, we have all been at that stage where we will try anything to get some normallity back into our lives.

Keep in touch.
Jayne

Old 10-31-2007, 09:28 AM   #3
(male)

NoBalance70 HB User

Thanks for your message Jayne. I have not been given any VRT, but since my mom had this a couple of years ago she told me to try the Cawthorne Cooksey Exercices which I am trying.
[url]http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/treatment/cawthorne.html[/url]
The exrcices in Charlotte's VRT thread look like a more elaborate version.
Christian

Old 10-31-2007, 09:40 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sheriff56 HB User

Hi Christian they are quite complex to get your head around all together, they have also been tweaked for us within the thread by a balance expert in chicago. . brill stuff.

Jayne

Old 10-31-2007, 09:35 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Joni9921 HB UserJoni9921 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBalance70 View Post
Thanks for your message Jayne. I have not been given any VRT, but since my mom had this a couple of years ago she told me to try the Cawthorne Cooksey Exercices which I am trying.
[url]http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/treatment/cawthorne.html[/url]
The exrcices in Charlotte's VRT thread look like a more elaborate version.
Christian
Hi Christian. The Cawthorne Cooksey Exercises are good to get you used to movement again, but the most important exercise to do is the gaze stabilization to retrain the VOR, the reflex between your eyes and vestibular system. This is the one where you focus on a letter and turn you head side to side for a minute.

As to whether this is the right diagnosis, since your mom had this too, and you've had recurrent episodes, it made me wonder about migraines. Does your family have a history of them? You can read about migraine associated vertigo (MAV) to see if you think it fits.

Hope you find some relief soon.
Joni

Old 11-01-2007, 02:19 AM   #6
(male)

NoBalance70 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoniMichelle View Post
Hi Christian. The Cawthorne Cooksey Exercises are good to get you used to movement again, but the most important exercise to do is the gaze stabilization to retrain the VOR, the reflex between your eyes and vestibular system. This is the one where you focus on a letter and turn you head side to side for a minute.

As to whether this is the right diagnosis, since your mom had this too, and you've had recurrent episodes, it made me wonder about migraines. Does your family have a history of them? You can read about migraine associated vertigo (MAV) to see if you think it fits.

Hope you find some relief soon.
Joni
Joni,
I have never been bothered with migraines, not even the slightest headache. I have read quite a lot about MAV, and I don't think I fit. A part from my sister there is no true migraine history in the family.
Late afternoon yesterday, I did the full Charlotte's VRT's, including the Business Card. Oh boy, in the evening was I swaying. No spinning/vertigo, just my entire body and head swaying, couldn't get to sleep. Had to keep my eyes open but still then the sway was terrible, a feeling of having been on a ship for a week and being back on land and still feeling the sway.
I woke up this morning and the sway hasn't stopped, at least I managed to get some sleep.
I'm wondering if the exercices is the right thing to do now .... I feel terrible.

Also, with the eye movements does anyone hear like a grinding noise in their ears, just like muscles or nerves or something grinding. I find the up and down eye movements particulary strenuous.

Christian

Old 11-01-2007, 02:28 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sheriff56 HB User

Christian, the VRT's will make you feel worse before they make you feel better. Don't give them up, maybe take them a little easier to start with, but they will kick in eventually. It's a case of getting the brain used to those symptoms .
Jayne

Old 11-02-2007, 09:06 AM   #8
(male)

NoBalance70 HB User

At last a good day Yeah.
Well this is my first good day in the last 2 months and a half ! I know the days not over yet but still it feels so good, only a very very slight headache and no loss of balance or dizziness.

Probably has nothing to do with it, but I went for a first acupuncture session this morning. Also, finally got an appointment with a neurologist on 12.Nov

Old 11-02-2007, 09:21 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

sheriff56 HB User

Great going Christian, I too have acupuncture and it does help with the dizzies for a good 48 hours with me.
Hope you have a dizzy free weekend.
Jayne

Closed Thread