It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2007, 05:26 PM   #1
(female)

jadeearth HB User
B12 Deficiency looks like inner ear

Hey everyone

I just wanted to let you know that I went to a naturopath who said I am B12 deficient. He started me on B12 shots. Did blood work and it showed high MCV/MCH values. When my "inner ear" issue began three 1/2 years ago I had blood work, these were high then but noone was concerned. I also had a B12 test that came back in the low range but normal. Anyway, my naturopath said that these (b12 tests) are not very reliable and that my blood cells being large was an indicator of not enough oxygen and potential B12/Anermia which as I am discovering has very similar symtoms to the inner ear. One symptom I have is neuropathy, burining of hands and feet, this is more common in B12 def then inner ear.

Anyway, my naturopath is not sure if it is a B12 def causing all of these symptoms that I have been complaning about for years or if the B12 def is keeping me from receovering from the inner ear.

Since my B12 shot my light sensitivity and anxiety has decreased slightly. I am also doing the migarine diet.

I really wanted to share this in case any on you thought there was a chance this could relate to you. I was a vegetarian for 10 years (I've been eating meat now for 8 years, but he thinks I have not been able to restore). Other symptoms that I have are feeling very cold around my period.

Just wanted to share.
Jade

The Following User Says Thank You to jadeearth For This Useful Post:
brendle (07-29-2012)
Old 11-01-2007, 05:57 PM   #2
(male)

amww HB User
Re: B12 Deficiency looks like inner ear

B12 deficiency is a common suggestion, but often really fails to make any difference. The trouble with doing the B12 shots, and the migraine diet at the same time is that it will be hard to tell which is helping.

Neuropathy, light sensitivity, dizziness are all migraine symptoms so these could be accounted for without having any inner ear disorder.

Would love to hear your progress over the next few weeks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2007, 06:30 PM   #3
(female)

jadeearth HB User

Adam

I did not know neuropathy was associatd with migraine? Thanks for the info. I agree about not knowing which will help regarding migraine diet and B12 shots, but I don't care. I want to feel better. And I don't know if Migraine individuals would show up with high HCV/MCH levels and low iron stores? For me this is a clue. But when you look at my vegetarain HX, and stomach issues for years.. it might be a good one. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks
jade

Old 11-01-2007, 06:43 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

alexiwildchild HB User

hi! just wanted to let you know that my b-12 levels were below normal when i was tested back in august. since then i've gotten a few shots and started the methylcobalamin sublinguals (1000mcg) under the tongue daily so they will definitely be absorbed into the bloodstream. my levels just a month later were much better, and i'm not pernicious anemic either. it did help tremendously with my fatigue that i was having and tingling in extremeties, but unfortunately that's about all. however, i have also read that it does take a while to repair damage done with a deficiency...so who knows. good luck to you with it, maybe it's all ya need!

Old 11-01-2007, 09:38 PM   #5
(male)

amww HB User

Does sound like a definite possibility, I guess the shots will tell. Will be great if its that simple (and a definitely eye opener.. I know B12 deficiency is often ignored).

Old 11-01-2007, 10:25 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

alexiwildchild HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by admw View Post
Does sound like a definite possibility, I guess the shots will tell. Will be great if its that simple (and a definitely eye opener.. I know B12 deficiency is often ignored).
it is definitely ignored...it wasn't until i went to a neurologist 2 1/2 months into this junk who suggested i have the test done because of the neurologic symptoms that i am having that can be similar to b-12 deficiency. sucked, however, the nurse said that it was within low normal, the doc never spoke to me about the results...wasn't until i went back to my pcp who was like oh no! you need some help! all the research i've done suggested my numbers were not normal, but indeed below. unfortunately it hasn't been that simple for me to have my issues "fixed", but it could be for you...it should help you feel more energetic and may help with the burning etc.

good luck! keep at it!

Last edited by alexiwildchild; 11-01-2007 at 10:26 PM.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:29 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

hbep HB Userhbep HB Userhbep HB User

I was also B12 deficient at one time during this. If I'm honest I remedied the problem with B12 tablets, m y B12 is now normal and it didn't really make much difference to my over all symptoms.

best,

Last edited by hbep; 11-02-2007 at 01:29 AM.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:01 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

mnsk HB User

Ive been taking a Multi high dose vitamin B pill for the past 3 weeks , along with magnesium and a vitamin C,D,E tablet.

Its early days cos apparently it can take 3-6 months to build up .

years ago I got told I am bodering anemic , and that I probally slip in and out of anemia. All I remember the score was something like ..
it should be in between 6 - 18 and I scored exactly 6 .

Forgot to say I am a sort of vegetarian , i dont eat red meat .

makes you wonder doesnt it ?

what foods have iron in them ? , Im sure I dont eat much iron which is bad.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:36 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

sipa HB User

My vitamin tests just came back and I'm B12, calcium, pantothenate, and something else (forgot ) deficient. My total antioxident function didn't look too great either, but this is all from a quick conversation with the nurse when I went in to get another blood test to check hormone levels. They took another blood test to figure out where the B12 deficiency lies. I'll have an appointment with the Dr next week to go over everything.

I've had 2 B12 shots in the last 3 weeks and I do feel better though it's very difficult to say whether that's from the shots or my adjusted thyroid medication (dose was too low.) Additionally I think I've finally come to a conclusion regarding the ongoing emotional stress that was wearing me down since last year. So there's really no telling what exactly is causing me to feel better right now. And besides, who knows how long this will last, lol.

Interestingly my Dr seems to have the opposite opinion of the relation between inner ear stuff and the B12 deficiency. She suspected I was deficient in the beginning because of the constant stress this illness has caused for such a long time.

And how I can be calcium deficient, I have no clue. I'd been taking 1,000mg calcium daily for approximately 3 weeks prior to the blood test, and I'm not taking any medications that hinder calcium absorption. Weird.

Closed Thread