It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2007, 01:49 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

sipa HB User
The Treadmill VRT

Had my last appointment with the PT on Tuesday. She discharged me because, as she said, she doesn't think there's anything else she can do for me. Hah! She suggested, however, that I try to start doing the treadmill VRT this BPPV "guru" so strongly believes in. The way I understood it, he claims that it will get rid of the problem within 6 months - and if not, it will never go away completely.

So here's the VRT: walking on the treadmill fairly slowly (~2.4mph) while reading up close for 15 mins (book/magazine stationary, not holding in hands), then reading something farther away for another 15 mins. Do this every day for 6 months.

I finally got myself to the gym last night and did it. Reading up close was challenging. Lots of bobbing up and down while moving eyes left to right and trying to keep straight which line I was reading! Then I looked up to read the captions on the TV for the remainder of the time. This wasn't easy either and I had to hold on with one hand (kept swerving! haha).

I felt REALLY good all evening! It wasn't a strenuous workout to say the least but I felt energized and seemed to have almost no visual problems at all. This is probably the closest to 100% I've felt in a year. It's awesome. And this is my "bad" (pms) week!

Just wanted to share this with you guys. I'll continue doing it and maybe, just maybe it will finally make things better.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

charlotte67 HB User
Re: The Treadmill VRT

sipa...only for bvvp, or can those with vn/labs try too? I know for my depth perception I bet this would help. Thanks so much for sharing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2007, 03:09 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

sipa HB User

Charlotte, I'm not sure but I assume it would work just as well for those with labs/vn as we have the same issues. I've noticed that my eyes are my primary problem; they're probably also the cause for the motion sick feeling I hate so much.

The feeling I got from the treadmill exercise almost immediately was that it seemed to help "tracking" in a way that the checkerboard and related visual VRTs never did.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

charlotte67 HB User

Sipa...I am totally going to do it. I have been joggin evenings, and I think that has helped...Thanks for posting this!

Old 11-02-2007, 05:10 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

sipa HB User

Let me know if it works for you!

Going to the gym now

Old 11-03-2007, 06:33 AM   #6
(male)

zakk80 HB User

Sipa, this is a really interesting post.

Before I got dizzy I used to a lot of running, and of course with the fatigue of labs I couldn't do much running.

But about 1 month ago I was feeling a little less fatigue but still very dizzy so I decided to go for a 2k run on my treadmill.

I managed to do the run but the treadmill brought my dizziness on something crazy. I was so bad I was almost throwing up every 10 mins for about a week and thought I was back to square one.

After about 10 days it started to settled back to where it was previous to the treadmill, and then bang, I woke up about week after this and the dizziness wasn't there. Now 1 month later I'm about 95%. I can go for most of the day and not even notice that I'm dizzy, I only notice it for a split second here or there.

So from my experience I'd have to say that the treadmill seemed to fast track my recovery.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:03 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Joni9921 HB UserJoni9921 HB User

This is interesting, but I couldn't do that BEFORE I got sick. I was never able to read and walk on a treadmill at the same time because of the bobbing up and down. This sounds much more like a general vestibular rehab exercise than for BPPV?

Old 11-03-2007, 08:50 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

sipa HB User

Zakk: LOL! I can't even imagine running 2k on a treadmill under the circumstances! I definitely CAN imagine that it made you sick like hell afterwards though.

Joni: Yea, it's vestibular rehab. I only mentioned BPPV because when we were talking about him, it was in conjunction with my BPPV and the lingering symptoms that are taking so long to go away. I've never tried reading on the treadmill before but the first couple of times were hard and I had to focus on just trying to read. It's getting easier already. I barely paid attention to what I was doing today and just lost myself in the book.

This may all be coincidence, who knows, but I'm on day 3 of my treadmill workout and I feel good. I feel more "normal" when I turn my head and look from close to far, left to right, and vice versa. I seem to be able to change focus faster and my eye doesn't seem to lag as much. I don't yet want to say this is 100% due to the treadmill exercises; it's only been 3 days (4 if you count the 15 mins I did at the therapists). Plus, there have been several other changes going on simultaneously that certainly affect the way I feel. My visual problems definitely seem to have improved quite noticeably, with the change being greatest in the hours following the treadmill exercises.

Regardless whether this is what's been causing me to feel better, my opinion is that it doesn't seem to make things worse, only better, and exercise is always good no matter how you look at it. And once I get to the gym and start walking, I have to keep myself from jumping on the elliptical and going to town. I want to work out!

Old 11-04-2007, 06:46 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

charlotte67 HB User

Sipa...did that exact same thing this am. Only did 15 mins...working my wayup to 1/2 hour. Read the book up close (in a holder on the treadmill)...that was difficult. Bouncing all around, but as I kept at it...I got better. Then I took large pieces of paper and wrote some passages from a book...and hung them in the basement (don't have cable hooked up there yet)...that was easier for me to read (they were about 6 feet away).

Did the doctor say how far away these should be...or just generally father away than the book...haha.

Anyway, this will get me in shape, and hopefully get my eyes in shape. Got to tone up this body after the baby anyway.

Thanks again....

Would love to keep this thread alive...and post how we all do.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:44 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

sipa HB User

I'm curious how you felt afterwards? The first ~5 mins after I get off the treadmill I feel pretty weird but my understanding is that even normal people feel that way.

No, she didn't say how far away it should be. I was wondering about that too when I did it but didn't think to ask at the time. I'm just going to read the captions on the TV and in my case it's only about 3 feet away and above me; that's the only option I have. I agree that it's quite a bit easier though. Sometimes the motion on the TV adds a little difficulty, similar to the checkerboard VRT. The fact that I have to look up probably adds an element of balance VRT too. But overall my feeling is that I get more out of reading the book.

Keep me updated! I'd love to know if this really works.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:06 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

charlotte67 HB User

Sipa...I felt like my eyes were really stiff after it. Wierd feeling blah. I then went to church, and felt decent for just running 15 mins. I have not run that long in a year (had baby, and this crap). If I had done this only a few months ago, I would be down for the count.

My eyes are still stiff now...but I think it should take me a bit to get that resolved.

Having the words tilted I bet is a great vrt...yep.

Are you going back to her for a follow up?

Old 11-04-2007, 10:23 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

sipa HB User

You ran or walked? She told me I should be walking at about 2.4 mph, which is really frikkin slow...

Nope, not going back to her. She discharged me. Said there was nothing else she could do for me haha.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:34 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

charlotte67 HB User

Sipa...ahhh, I didn't read it correctly...I jogged. That could explain why I feel really off this evening. A bit like poo. Eyes stiff and strained...and a bit car sick.

Should have read more carefully...I will try walking ahhahahaha.

Old 11-04-2007, 02:12 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

dizzysally HB User

Charlotte you are such an over achiever. LOL jog = death to me!!!! ha ha. I walked at the park today for 15 minutes and my legs were so sore. I am bummed. I was able to walk 2 miles 3-4 times a week before this happened. Never a big jogger/runner but walked all the time. I am having a stinky day!!! blah. I am going to try this though this coming week and let you know how I do. Thanks

Sally

Old 11-04-2007, 05:20 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

sipa HB User

Charlotte: LOL! That *would* explain it!!! But hey, if you can run for 15 mins on a treadmill and read at the same time, walking should be CAKE for you!

Sally: Hope you feel better tomorrow *hugs*

Closed Thread