It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2007, 12:32 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User
Migraine and mushrooms

Hi All,

I got a shock last night. I haven't eaten mushrooms in a large dose in a very long time - years maybe. I would have thought that mushrooms would be very benign as a possible migraine trigger right? Wrong. I cooked about 10 big button mushies last night and threw them over a plain steak with butter. All was fine until 4 am when I woke up as though someone had pumped me full of some narcotic - totally tripping, cracking headache with neck pain and waves of vertigo moving through my head. Not rotational but felt like heat waves without the heat. This effect is always associated with a food reaction with me but I was astounded that mushrooms could do this (all other foods I ate last have never affected me). Then I found this:

Migraine attacks in some people can be prevented by avoiding foods that contain monoamines, such as wine, cheese, chocolate, mushrooms and anchovies.

So another food. Didn't realise mushrooms were on the hit list too. Anyone else out there notice mushrooms ruining their day like this?

Cheers ... S

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2007, 03:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Re: Migraine and mushrooms

Hey CrossingXline,

Bummer about the 3-day migraine - what triggered it do you think? Are you dizzy with the attack as well?

Best .. Scott

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2007, 04:25 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

missy7777 HB Usermissy7777 HB Usermissy7777 HB User

Yep - mushrooms were on one of my many lists of migraine triggers. I don't think it was listed in "that book", but it was on a list I got from my neurologist so I haven't had any since then.

Sorry you had to find out the hard way.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:58 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sheriff56 HB User

My doc did warn me about mushrooms although as we say they are not mentioned in "the book" he told me that dark mushrooms are supposed to better but he didn't know why, I do have chestnut mushrooms and I have not noticed that they trigger anything.
Jayne

Old 11-13-2007, 02:49 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User

Mushrooms are a fungus so I could see why they would be a trigger. Hope you're feeling better.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:59 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Speaking of triggers, , last night I was feeling really good and I got a little lazy in the dinner arena so I ate 3 taco supremes from a fast food restaurant and was awoken with that darn right sided pain in my head. It has been with me all day! I thought the tacos would have been fairly harmless but I KNEW there must have been something suspicious in them. So I just did a search and sure enough, that restaurant uses MSG in their taco meat. Arggggg - it sucks not being able to ever eat out. I wish there was a chain of restaurants that tailored to migraineurs and didn't have any preservatives or triggers in their ingredients!

Last edited by missy7777; 11-13-2007 at 03:01 PM.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:36 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sheriff56 HB User

Some restaurants will cook without MSG if you ask in advance, we have a local Chinese and mexican that will do that for me, I can't tell the difference in the food without it either.
Worth a try.
Jayne

Old 11-15-2007, 10:14 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

You're right - it certainly is worth a try because not eating out is the PITS. Although it's still scary because alot of places claim to not use MSG (as in, they don't actually sprinkle it onto the food) - but alot of the already prepared food they use from other manufacturers is loaded with it. So, although you ask to not have them sprinkle or use MSG, the dish can still have lots of it in it that was already there from the beginning. I think I read that in "the book". But still, it couldn't hurt to ask them to not add the MSG on things like fish, or steak or stuff like that.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:24 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

sheriff56 HB User

I find many will say if there are dishes with ready prepared sauces tht contain the MSG, you just have to stress that you will be so ill and will never return they soon get the message. . .lol.
Jayne

Old 11-18-2007, 03:20 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Missy,

I understand your pain about eating out. I've now dropped cipramil to 10 mg and feel so much better in one sense - not a zombie and have a libido again - but I have become hugely sensitive to foods setting me off. It seems like it's worse now than it has ever been throughout this whole 4 year drama. Last night I went around the corner to the local fish 'n chip bar. They grilled the fish for me and spiced it somewhat and there were also real potato bits made into hot chips. I had a small shot of ketchup and some tartar sauce on the side. All was fine until I went to bed and got horizontal. It immediately felt like I was on a boat drifting. And then I woke at 5 am with the whole "heat wave" vision going on and headache - total disorientation. This event was possibly worse than the mushrooms. I'm guessing they used some flavour enhancer (maybe mixed msg and spices) on the fish. Just unreal how food can make such an enormous impact on this condition. Others out there who suspect MAV have got to take the food thing seriously if you haven't already. There is a definite and significant cause and effect thing going on.

I've got the script for Lyrica now and think I'll grab it today. Roberto has had great results with it - and he saw results within 3 days. Be awesome to see the back of this or at least reduce the size of this animal from gorilla to lamb.

Best ... Scott

Old 11-18-2007, 10:50 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Totally agree Scott. Food has become a way of life for me because it SO much makes a difference. I cannot believe I used to just eat anything I wanted to and it had no effect on me. Or maybe it did have an effect on me like a slow buildup until finally my body broke. I always kind of thought I got away with alot (health wise). And now I know I never actually got away with it, but rather was just postponing it.

It is daunting - there are SO many unnatural foods these days. Seriously, it is no wonder cancer rates are through the roof. Remember when Cancer was sort of "unusual" in a way? Now it's like I know SO MANY people who have/had cancer it is insane! Why is that? Because of the completely unnatural things we are consuming each and every day.

It is really hard to just find something that has say, flour, sugar, eggs, and water in it. Should be very simple - even say a sugar cookie. But you look at the ingredients on boxes and the list is HUGE. What is all of that crap they are putting in stuff these days??!! Whatever it is, it is not healthy and it is killing us.

So yes, my diet has changed drastically - firstly for the migraines, but then realizing after I started the migraine diet how many foods out there in the world as so insanely full of preservatives and unnatural chemicals. Check out how many times you see "natural flavor" in stuff. There is nothing natural about this. It's a migraine trigger firstly, but secondly just do an internet search on that, "natural flavor" and find out what it really is. It's not good, and it is in almost everything out there.

So I have resorted to cooking alot of my own stuff, avoiding restaurants, and shopping at health food stores. My dizziness has gotten WAY better and so have the headaches, but there still do come (due to hormone problems I think). I think this new way of eating is going to be a lifelong endeavor.

Closed Thread