It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2007, 12:26 PM   #1
(male)

TNT HB User
Weird "popping/cracking" sound in my ears..

Hello,
I'm looking to find any information on the lines of diagnosing the symptoms of having popping in one or both of my ears (sometimes my left more than my right) that tends to happen either A) when I'm eating, or B) When I start to say certain words that seem to put more pressure in my ears such as "B" words that cause a slight pop in my ear when talking.

The only thing that I can think of these symptoms stemming from were from back in August when I took a bike ride during a hotter day of summer and as I got to the top of one of the hills to take a break, I tried stopping at a drive way and my tires slid on some cinders causing me to take a plunge on the drive way entrance. As I caught myself and slowly stood up, I felt like I was very light headed and was almost about to pass out, during that time I felt something going on in my head/ears where it began to feel "full" for some reason, and later the next day I began having these popping sensations or cracking in my ears ever since, mostly like I said, when I eat, or tend to think about it sometimes opens up my eustachian tubes just by itself.

Does this have anything to do with the Tensor Tympani, since this is what the local ENT said to look into after I would go back to him after I gave my problem "a few months". Or are there other muscles that cause the eustachian tubes to possibly open up at random times during eating, yawning, and the like? I have also had Tinnitus that started in July after going to a night club 2 nights in a row with the loudest music I ever heard, but I don't think these 2 symptoms of ringing and popping in my ears are related, but perhaps they are.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2007, 01:52 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

tummy2 HB User
Re: Weird "popping/cracking" sound in my ears..

Hi,

I have had this popping/crackling in my ears since I was 11 years old... t came on one day after swimming and never went away.... This has to do with your eustacion tubes.. not sure why it happens... But I tell you in the beginning it was very annoying.. I hated it.. Now I dont even notice it... Your body is an amazing thing... It will adapt to it...It may just resolve itself....

the funny thing is now that If I dont hear the popping, I know something is wrong with my ears.... Cold, Congestion etc...

Old 11-25-2007, 04:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

brook65 HB User

Can I suggest that you look into having your ears syringed.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:31 PM   #4
(male)

TNT HB User

All jokes aside, I hope everyday that one day it will resolve itself, since, like you said, the body is an amazing thing afterall. I just wish there was something that could be done to diagnose it and help treat it, such as possibly even having something like a common surgery where they might just open up your E-tubes to see if there's anything out of place or blocking/sticking to the e-tubes that causes them to open at random times.

Or maybe there's the possibility of just having a test/surgery done to just perhaps rub sometype of liquid that is semi solid that might cause the e-tubes to become very slippery and could open only when it needs to... or perhaps maybe the other direction of creating a little blockage in the e-tubes by way of botulism or some type of shot that could cause a little swelling in and around the e-tubes.

I'm just not sure what's going on at all really, but I'm just looking for some answers as to what could possibly be going on, since I don't really want to have to wait a few more months until my ENT says I should come back, since the ears are one of the slowest healing parts of the body.

It kinda does seem at times that the popping is getting better from day to day, but there will be random times when it seems like it is ever present, and annoying as heck. Perhaps I will develop a cold or some type of flu where my sinuses might get blocked up and maybe something will happen within my body that causes it to go back to the normal state like it once was a few months ago.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:45 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

brook65 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by brook65 View Post
Can I suggest that you look into having your ears syringed.

Like I said, have you looked into having your ears syringed???

I have had popping over the years, and can be caused by build up of wax.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:53 PM   #6
(male)

TNT HB User

Hi Brooke, thanks for the replies.

I have been to a local ENT once a month beginning in August when I was diagnosed with Tinnitus, and I had some quick test done to see if there was any blockage at the time or anything, and they said that my ears looked totally fine and my hearing was one of the best in all their patients dating to 2 years back.
My dad has had wax build up in his ears before, I think, but I really doubt at this point that it is the build up of wax of any kind, although I am definitely open to the idea of trying to have it syringed in the future for any possible relief. I just find it weird how it all started the date after I had a minor bike accident and almost fainted from exhaustion/ not enough blood going to my head after I got on my feet.

But thanks for the replies, I'll definitely look into the possibility of having my ears syringed in the future to see if anything remotely might be the root cause of this.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:05 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

brook65 HB User

Yeah it's certainly worth trying, it could/hopefully be something that simple.

The reason I suggested it, is cause I have expereinced cracking and popping in my ears myself with the jaw moving, or if I turned my head to an angle or similar I used to get the loud cracking etc that you explained, and with me it was wax build up.

I sympathise with you suffering with tinnitus I have no expereince with that one, but know from others how annoying and upsetting that can be..

Hope you find an answer soon

Old 11-26-2007, 10:10 AM   #8
(male)

TNT HB User

Ah, don't worry about the Tinnitus anymore, I am now able to sleep straight through the nights now and have very minimal sense of ringing in my ears. It has only been a few months since I was at wits end it seemed, and now it is almost completely gone. It's just annoying when I'm either eating or doing something with my jaw that my E-tubes seem to open when I don't want them to. If anyone has had experience with any of these symptoms or dealing with e-tubes that open up as if you are yawning at random times when eating/talking, please feel free to share your experiences with me. I know I should not dwell on this disorder, since each pop or crack in my ears only happens maybe a total of 5 seconds everyday, but it's just the fact that there is a popping sound that disrupts my thoughts for long after it happens.

I'm also wondering if there's any type of generic drugs/medicines I can try taking that might actually deal with clearing out or changing the dynamics of your inner ears, just to experiment with different things. Like I said, with the winter coming up now, I'm almost willing to get sick with a cold or something in order to see if my anatomy may change within my inner ear during that time, to hopefully return it back to normal like it used to be.

Thanks for reading everyone and I will keep in touch on here for updates.
-E

Closed Thread